Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2017, 12:02:15 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2016 predictions are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  Why do the Democrats...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why do the Democrats...  (Read 810 times)
Fritz
JLD
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2016, 12:07:22 pm »
Ignore

have so many more delegates than the Republicans (like 2 to 1)?

Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 12:15:13 pm »
Ignore

Superdelegates are part of it.  Other than that, probably just different rules.

Endorsements:
AL-SEN: Roy Moore
FL-SEN: Rick Scott
IN-SEN: Luke Messer
MI-SEN: Fred Upton
MO-SEN: Josh Hawley
MT-SEN: Matt Rosendale
OH-SEN: Josh Mandel
PA-SEN: Lou Barletta
WV-SEN: Evan Jenkins
FL-GOV: Adam Putnam
OH-GOV: Jon Husted
NH-GOV: Stefany Shaheen
NH-01: Carol Shea Porter
NH-02: Annie Kuster
Adam T
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 12:20:55 pm »
Ignore

I don't know why but this has always been the case since at least the Primary process was opened up for the 1972 Presidential election, so if you want to find out the reason you probably have to go back to when the rules were being rewritten for the Democratic Party Presidential nomination process by George McGovern and his fellow commissioners following the 1968 convention.   At one time there were even half delegates which I first heard about in 1984 at the age of 13 and that concept totally confused me at the time and brought up images from horror movies.

Proposed phrase for a radical centrist: Empathy for all sides, commitment to none.
Desroko
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 12:48:40 pm »
Ignore

I don't know why but this has always been the case since at least the Primary process was opened up for the 1972 Presidential election, so if you want to find out the reason you probably have to go back to when the rules were being rewritten for the Democratic Party Presidential nomination process by George McGovern and his fellow commissioners following the 1968 convention.   At one time there were even half delegates which I first heard about in 1984 at the age of 13 and that concept totally confused me at the time and brought up images from horror movies.

Half delegates were a thing for over a hundred years. It let state parties reward more loyalists, and to pack the convention hall. They've been disappearing pretty steadily over the last few decades - on the Dem side only Dems Abroad awarded half delegates this cycle. 
Adam T
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 12:51:11 pm »
Ignore

Half delegates were a thing for over a hundred years. It let state parties reward more loyalists, and to pack the convention hall. They've been disappearing pretty steadily over the last few decades - on the Dem side only Dems Abroad awarded half delegates this cycle. 

Thanks, I did not know that.  When I first heard them mentioned in 1984 I believe my first thought was 'I wouldn't be cut in half even to get to vote in a Presidential nominating convention.'

Proposed phrase for a radical centrist: Empathy for all sides, commitment to none.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout