Sanders gets testy after being asked about Sandy Hook
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:21:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders gets testy after being asked about Sandy Hook
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sanders gets testy after being asked about Sandy Hook  (Read 911 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2016, 04:52:38 PM »

@nancycordes

Asked @BernieSanders abt calls for him to apologize to Sandy Hook victims. He said maybe @HillaryClinton shld apologize to Iraq War victims.

Leaving aside the fact that Clinton HAS apologised for Iraq, does he really thinks that defending gun companies is a winning position in NYC and Connecticut?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 04:53:53 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2016, 04:57:16 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Bernie has by far the lowest NRA rating of any governor, senator, or representative from Vermont for the last quarter century. He has a D-. Everyone else has at least a C. Noted Hillary shill Howard Dean has an A.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 04:55:49 PM »

He has nothing to apologize for he didn't kill those kids and the lawsuit is frivolous.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 05:05:18 PM »

So this milquetoast bullsh**t that's at least as much a sop to trial lawyers as it is a meaningful form of gun control is now being held up as a litmus test for the Democratic nomination? Huh.

Sanders' record on gun control is nothing to be proud of, but it's a testament to how thoroughly Democrats have ceded the issue that this and a couple of similar votes are (apparently) the most potent charge that Clinton has on the subject despite the duration of Sanders' tenure in Congress.

(Maybe I'm being hyperbolic, but, as someone who is militantly pro-gun control, even anti-"gun rights", can anyone tell me why suing gun manufacturers is something that I should care about except as a stealth tactic to drive them out of business and increase the cost of firearms, eventually reducing the number that are held in private hands? I can't believe that the actual goal is that radical.)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »

Annie Oakley's attacks here are pathetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzQxFtM9cfk
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 05:09:24 PM »

Sanders has every right to get testy about this BS attack, just like Clinton had a right to be testy about the fossil fuel attack. It's sick that people would pin Sandy Hook on Sanders of all people, and quite hypocritical that those bashing him the hardest for engaging in "personal attacks" on Clinton are applauding this slimy mud getting thrown at him.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 05:13:17 PM »

Sanders has every right to get testy about this BS attack, just like Clinton had a right to be testy about the fossil fuel attack. It's sick that people would pin Sandy Hook on Sanders of all people, and quite hypocritical that those bashing him the hardest for engaging in "personal attacks" on Clinton are applauding this slimy mud getting thrown at him.

Yeah I tend to agree with this. Attacking Bernie Sanders is pretty dumb considering how far he is from a gun advocate. Hillary is basically trying to exploit a nuance in Sander's ideology that can be misrepresented in a way that distorts what he actually believes into some right wing position.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 05:17:15 PM »

(Maybe I'm being hyperbolic, but, as someone who is militantly pro-gun control, even anti-"gun rights", can anyone tell me why suing gun manufacturers is something that I should care about except as a stealth tactic to drive them out of business and increase the cost of firearms, eventually reducing the number that are held in private hands? I can't believe that the actual goal is that radical.)

I think the idea is that they can be held responsible if they don't take it upon themselves to check that they person they're selling guns to has a criminal record or mental health issues. It's obviously far from a magic formula, but I think it might help marginally.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 05:17:31 PM »

plus like
the topic is irrelevant. no way in hell is a republican congress (or even a slightly democratic one) approving the slightest shred of reasonable gun policy. doesn't matter who's president.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 05:21:20 PM »

Didn't Sanders vote against the Brady Bill?

I'm glad Bernie is finally understanding why unfair, over-exaggerated attacks hurt
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 05:22:03 PM »

Bernie Sanders is not responsible for Sandy Hook. This is silly. There are other better ways to attack him.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 05:22:14 PM »

The NY Daily news is a pathetic trying to put a hatchet job on Sanders. Ironic the media is attacking Sanders for not knowing anything while ignoring the clueless Republicans.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 05:22:31 PM »

He has nothing to apologize for he didn't kill those kids and the lawsuit is frivolous.

I hate to take Bernie's side, but I have to here. Amen.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 05:24:38 PM »

Bernie Sanders is not responsible for Sandy Hook. This is silly. There are other better ways to attack him.

Nobody "attacked" Sanders. It was a journalist who made the question, not a Clinton campaign activist. Unless of course Berniebots are so paranoid that they see Clinton plants even under their beds.
Panda Express

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 05:26:31 PM »

Ugh. Can the Dem primary be over yet? (I know it's over, but I mean over like over-over)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 05:30:10 PM »

He's so liberal on everything and unapologetic about it, yet he was not liberal about this immunity law. He's not really going to bite the hand that gave his congressional career life and that hand is the NRA.

Yes, there are frivolous lawsuits, but that is for judges and juries to determine. No company should get immunity like this.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 05:58:05 PM »

He's so liberal on everything and unapologetic about it, yet he was not liberal about this immunity law. He's not really going to bite the hand that gave his congressional career life and that hand is the NRA.

Yes, there are frivolous lawsuits, but that is for judges and juries to determine. No company should get immunity like this.

Two things. I assume you are referring to the 1990 VT Congressional Campaign that was analysed by TWP. They openly said that the only reason that they supported him over Pete Smith was because Smith had  just released a pretty liberal platform on guns. They run attack ads on Smith just to make Smith lose with the intention of having Sanders be a one term nutter and then they could put up their own guy in '92. Well, we know how that turned out.

To the lawsuit part. The gun manufacturers hold little responsibility for the deaths of the shooters, that is a different issue, though. The reason Bernie has been against the suing of gun shops is because you are essentially opening up the door for people to sue these mom + pop gun shops which can cause a chain reaction of those shops just continuously closing down for fear of being sued. Bernie has continuously said that there need to be stricter regulations and background checks for the sale/purchase of a gun.

Daily News needs to interview with a clearer lens because saying that Bernie is directly responsible for Sandy Hook is one of the worst attacks I've heard in this campaign.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 06:04:02 PM »

So this milquetoast bullsh**t that's at least as much a sop to trial lawyers as it is a meaningful form of gun control is now being held up as a litmus test for the Democratic nomination? Huh.

Sanders' record on gun control is nothing to be proud of, but it's a testament to how thoroughly Democrats have ceded the issue that this and a couple of similar votes are (apparently) the most potent charge that Clinton has on the subject despite the duration of Sanders' tenure in Congress.

I think that anyone with a brain should be opposed to such a measure. Yes, the gun industry is most certainly deplorable, but individual gun retailers are, ultimately, people and deserving of fair treatment under the law. Those who have studied gun violence understand that the most effective, most efficient and most fair policy would be a blanket ban on hand-guns coupled with a mass gun buy-back and that measures that fall short of this would be deeply ineffectual. As a result, these weird back-channel strategies are worse than useless: why should we promote policies that would entail massive costs for certain individuals, who are not at fault, and few public benefits? This smacks of unfairness. I don't like those who own gun stores but I don't think they should bear steep costs for the sake of little public benefit. Further, these costs would be unpredictable, difficult to prepare for and would appear to be a petty, arbitrary punishment meted out by hypocritical/irrational liberalism. Hardly a win for gun control if you ask me!

Repeal the Second Amendment and ban handguns! FFS, nothing else will work. We know this.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 09:26:48 PM »

That's exactly what it is. Hillary couldn't care less about gun control; this is about making more money for a reliable Democratic voting and donating class: trial lawyers.

Good for Bernie standing against crony capitalism as usual. And I say this as a conservative.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 09:34:33 PM »

Smart politics, completely idiotic policy from Hillary.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 05:35:15 AM »

Nobody "attacked" Sanders. It was a journalist who made the question, not a Clinton campaign activist. Unless of course Berniebots are so paranoid that they see Clinton plants even under their beds.
Hillary Clinton ‏@HillaryClinton
.@BernieSanders prioritized gun manufacturers' rights over the parents of the children killed at Sandy Hook.
 https://amp.twimg.com/v/e0ac5125-2e64-48a7-8573-f24cb13d219b
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 05:49:53 AM »

Hillary Clinton ‏@HillaryClinton
.@BernieSanders prioritized gun manufacturers' rights over the parents of the children killed at Sandy Hook.
 https://amp.twimg.com/v/e0ac5125-2e64-48a7-8573-f24cb13d219b

Ι still don't see anywhere asking him to apologize. Nice try though.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 05:59:27 AM »

Come on now Lyndon, let's give it a break.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 11:28:38 AM »

How would the bill holding gun manufacturers accountable have helped in Sandy Hook? That is, the guns used were Adam Lanza's mother's guns, right? She had neither a criminal record nor a history of mental illness. How would more stringent laws have stopped her from getting her guns?

I'm in favor of a hell of a lot stricter gun control than we've ever had, but this seems like an opportunistic way to try to link Sanders to the most horrific act of violence that's happened in our country in recent memory, and it's pretty gross.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies