April 6th Sabato Senate Ratings Map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:51:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  April 6th Sabato Senate Ratings Map
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: April 6th Sabato Senate Ratings Map  (Read 2392 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2016, 09:35:01 AM »
« edited: April 07, 2016, 09:37:44 AM by Nyvin »

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/senate-governor-2016-several-ratings-move-toward-democrats/

Colorado's rating kinda surprises me.   Pennsylvania and Ohio are expected though,  they really are tossups.

Grassley is getting what he deserves.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 09:57:03 AM »

I'm not sure I'd move PA to toss-up just yet, though it could end up there eventually. If his model is based on the idea that coattails will be strong, it would make sense to move NV to Lean D, and I wouldn't move MO down to Lean R. Otherwise, I agree with these changes.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »

Sabato also thinks that NH is more likely to vote GOP than PA. His ratings are DISMISSED.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:41:41 PM »

Maybe if Trump were the nominee.  But, since he won't be, move every race one level to the right, and it looks about right.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »

Sabato also thinks that NH is more likely to vote GOP than PA. His ratings are DISMISSED.

If you look at polls they're all pretty accurate.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 01:56:05 PM »

Feels good to be a liberal Democrat in the Midwest.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 02:51:07 PM »

I'd keep Missouri Likely R and move Louisiana to Safe R, but otherwise this map is perfect, imo. I think Sabato is right about the state of the presidential race and presidential coattails.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »

^ It's not really safe to go all in on LA staying R given the crowded field and what happened in the governor's race.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 03:17:16 PM »

Cheesy

Especially happy about Ohio, Sabato's rating there was bugging me for a while.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 03:24:53 PM »

Feels good to be a liberal Democrat in the Midwest.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 07:23:37 PM »

Maybe if Trump were the nominee.  But, since he won't be, move every race one level to the right, and it looks about right.

Nope!  This is actually Sabato's map if Trump is the GOP nominee:

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-trumpmare-can-the-republicans-save-the-senate/

LOL!!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 07:48:02 PM »

^ It's not really safe to go all in on LA staying R given the crowded field and what happened in the governor's race.

Democrats didn't really get any good recruits for the Senate race. It's just as likely LA ends up with 2 Republicans in the general as CA ends up with two Democrats?
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 11:28:12 PM »

Whoever wins the Republican primary should be a far better candidate than Vitter. Also, I think that Louisiana is much more likely to vote Democratic in a state election than in a federal election. Louisiana may not be 100% safe, but imo the "Safe" rating means that there's a >95% chance that the party wins the race.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 01:35:51 AM »

Democrats didn't really get any good recruits for the Senate race. It's just as likely LA ends up with 2 Republicans in the general as CA ends up with two Democrats?
I remember when a JBE win in Louisiana was just a pipe dream. What a race that was.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 01:17:48 PM »

I remember when a JBE win in Louisiana was just a pipe dream. What a race that was.
That's fair, but this is a bigger pipe dream. JBE just seems like a better candidate than the two (D) recruits LA found for this cycle.

And personally, I thought JBE was going to do better than Conway for most of 2015, while the opposite opinion was far more popular.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 10:25:26 PM »

I agree with the map, even though I would move IA to Safe R, IN and OH to Leans R, FL to Leans D and IL (and maybe WI) to Tossup. IL is definitely not more likely to flip than NH or FL.  
Florida isn't flipping lol and neither is New Hampshire
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 12:47:39 AM »

I agree with the map, even though I would move IA to Safe R, IN and OH to Leans R, FL to Leans D and IL (and maybe WI) to Tossup. IL is definitely not more likely to flip than NH or FL.  

You want us to quote you on that in November?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 01:00:00 AM »

We don't even know who the candidates are going to be, but considering Grayson's ethics probe problem, among other issues, means Patrick Murphy on the Democratic side and probably Jolly on the Republican side. Given the polls we have, Murphy is ahead.

I'm not saying Murphy will win, but rather that there is no reason to think this is a Republican hold. This election may also come down to who wins the state in the presidential election. However, at the very least, it's a toss-up.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 01:13:07 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2016, 01:15:33 AM by Maxwell »

We don't even know who the candidates are going to be, but considering Grayson's ethics probe problem, among other issues, means Patrick Murphy on the Democratic side and probably Jolly on the Republican side. Given the polls we have, Murphy is ahead.

I'm not saying Murphy will win, but rather that there is no reason to think this is a Republican hold. This election may also come down to who wins the state in the presidential election. However, at the very least, it's a toss-up.

So far it doesn't seem to matter to actual Democratic voters in Florida - Murphy hasn't pulled ahead in any real way. In fact, the last PPP showed Grayson, not Murphy, up 33-32. It's getting to the point where even Murphy makes it out of a primary with Grayson he'll be definable enough to where Republicans take the seat even with a weaker nominee (all of the potential candidates seem B-League, but I'd actually wager DeSantis as the strongest  of the three major ones, with Lopez-Cantera being obviously the weakest and David Jolly being massively over-valued).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 09:14:57 AM »

I would agree on Ohio if Jeb was nominee. Let's not underestimate Strickland and perhaps a wave in Nov. Trump is weak in Appalachian
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 11:12:34 AM »

So far it doesn't seem to matter to actual Democratic voters in Florida - Murphy hasn't pulled ahead in any real way. In fact, the last PPP showed Grayson, not Murphy, up 33-32. It's getting to the point where even Murphy makes it out of a primary with Grayson he'll be definable enough to where Republicans take the seat even with a weaker nominee (all of the potential candidates seem B-League, but I'd actually wager DeSantis as the strongest  of the three major ones, with Lopez-Cantera being obviously the weakest and David Jolly being massively over-valued).
You're quoting only a push poll that was made by a group supporting Grayson (the 33-32).

In fact, most of the recent polls have shown Murphy leading. Grayson is a terrible campaigner and he is definitely the underdog for the FL democratic primary, especially with all of his problems.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 11:59:20 AM »

You're quoting only a push poll that was made by a group supporting Grayson (the 33-32).

In fact, most of the recent polls have shown Murphy leading. Grayson is a terrible campaigner and he is definitely the underdog for the FL democratic primary, especially with all of his problems.

Not in any real way - Murphy leading with only 20% of the vote in hand or so is not impressive. I don't know why other democrats are so non-chalant about this.

Grayson has a huge amount of problems yes, but it seems, to me, like he'll get over that because he "seems" genuine. That's something Murphy can't make up no matter how many endorsements he gets.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »

A hedge fund manager for Bernie doesn't sound like a winning primary candidate.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 05:28:43 PM »

A hedge fund manager for Bernie doesn't sound like a winning primary candidate.

And yet Patrick Murphy, thus far, has failed to break out. Grayson is far more likely to turn out his people than Murphy is in a primary, and that matters in these low turnout affairs.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 09:33:16 PM »

Fair enough, but Grayson would be less electable in the general election.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies