Bill Clinton: BLM is defending murderers and drug dealers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:32:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bill Clinton: BLM is defending murderers and drug dealers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Bill Clinton: BLM is defending murderers and drug dealers  (Read 8629 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2016, 09:20:26 PM »

This video, beginning at the 7 minute mark is relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLNFsl130_Y

Can the Clintons just go away?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2016, 09:49:56 PM »

I really don't get this thread at all.

The BLM movement just seems like they don't even know what they are fighting for.  I mean, civil rights won 50 years ago.  Are there still a few racists out there somewhere?  Sure, but not really in mainstream society.  I just don't get what exactly they want.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2016, 09:51:01 PM »

Clinton's support of increased sentences helped keep America safer and was 100% justified.

You must have missed the part where he admitted to the NAACP last year that it was a failed policy that ended up pointlessly destroying people's livelihoods.

Of course Clinton flips and flops on these things - I'm just saying that Clinton's action then was the right thing to do.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2016, 10:17:51 PM »

Clinton's support of increased sentences helped keep America safer and was 100% justified.

You must have missed the part where he admitted to the NAACP last year that it was a failed policy that ended up pointlessly destroying people's livelihoods.

Of course Clinton flips and flops on these things - I'm just saying that Clinton's action then was the right thing to do.

I mostly agree with RFayette.  Young people today have no memory of a high-crime world, so everything looks different in hindsight.  Back then, something had to be done, and something had to be done quickly.  That was the bottom line.

But the distinction between violent and non-violent offenses needs to be drawn more strongly.  Way too many people end up in jail for non-violent crimes that just feel contrived.  Jail time for most non-violent crimes is kind of counterproductive anyway.  I would favor a system of restitution debts and/or long term community service obligations.     

I agree with this.  I also favor "banning the box" so that once someone has finished serving their sentence, societal integration is easier.  The issue at the time was a mass of violent crime in the '80s/'90s, and frankly, people just had to be put away.  Now, the challenges are indeed different, but Clinton was definitely right in what he said.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2016, 10:27:42 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2016, 07:09:32 AM by Mr. Morden »

lol, people who think the 1994 crime bill was responsible for mass incarceration are either totally clueless or total f_cking liars. Most likely, the crime prevention provisions, when combined with the urban renewal policies that began in the early-/mid-1980s and began to bear fruit by the early-1990s, plus policing reforms modeled after Hartford, Connecticut's, is what began the decline in crime.

But who cares about facts, just another thing to slam the Clintons on, right?

Here's a summary of the 1994 bill, by the way: https://www.ncjrs.gov/txtfiles/billfs.txt
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2016, 10:32:29 PM »

Great.  You embrace the supporters of a racist serial sexual assaulter who abused his position of authority to seduce a subordinate half his age into sleeping with him.  Good to see you show your true colors.
To be quite fair, most of the Bernie supporters here are going to vote for the enabler of a serial sexual assaulter who abused his position of authority to seduce a subordinate half his age into sleeping with him

Just stop.

If I was confusing, I was pointing fun at fact that most of these Hillary-hating Bernie supporters are still going to end up voting for her in the general.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2016, 10:39:36 PM »

lol, people who think the 1994 crime bill was responsible for mass incarceration are either totally clueless or total f_cking liars (like the Deranged Canuck, as usual). Most likely, the crime prevention provisions, when combined with the urban renewal policies that began in the early-/mid-1980s and began to bear fruit by the early-1990s, plus policing reforms modeled after Hartford, Connecticut's, is what began the decline in crime.

But who cares about facts, just another thing to slam the Clintons on, right?

Here's a summary of the 1994 bill, by the way: https://www.ncjrs.gov/txtfiles/billfs.txt

I always marvel when people state that the 1994 crime bill created mass incarceration as fact and go unchallenged when it is so demonstrably false.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2016, 11:13:52 PM »

If I was confusing, I was pointing fun at fact that most of these Hillary-hating Bernie supporters are still going to end up voting for her in the general.

Ah, fair enough. I don't even know when people are being serious or not on here anymore Sad. I do know that the original statement was a ridiculous grade-A chunk of hyperbole, though.

On your point, yes, most will come around. People love to say things like that, you know, for their pride or something. But when push comes to shove, Democratic-leaning voters will fall in line when, at the very least, they start to think of where a Republican president will take the country. I'm sure some will stay home, but that happens every election. Some slices of voters are always dissatisfied and end up staying home, so it's kind of already factored into the race.
DS0816
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2016, 11:16:22 PM »

This video, beginning at the 7 minute mark is relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLNFsl130_Y

Evidently not.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2016, 01:02:59 AM »

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Americans would prefer you to go away.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2016, 11:50:15 AM »

This may have killed the blm movement.   If a former dem president  ( a popular one) is slapping you down.

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2016, 12:14:27 PM »

This may have killed the blm movement.   If a former dem president  ( a popular one) is slapping you down.

BLM for the most part has fizzled out. We'll see if they can translate their movement into political victory in upcoming elections (Baltimore and maybe St. Louis), but I really am skeptical. The protesters have alienated most of the black establishment with their propensity for violence, and they angered their white liberal allies by calling them racist without proposing any meaningful solution to systemic racism.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2016, 12:16:55 PM »

BLM is dying mainly because the cops haven't recently shot a Black person for no good reason. When it happens again, they will probably have an upsurge of support again. It doesn't happen as much as they like to believe though. If they weren't so militantly segregationist, they could use this story: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/unarmed-man-killed-arizona-cried-begged-life-article-1.2582759 but unfortunately they don't care about legitimate police reform.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2016, 03:08:04 PM »

I'm concerned that this incident may hurt Hillary's support of black voters. She needs them more than ever in the Northeast and New York.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2016, 03:10:13 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2019, 03:50:04 AM by Celes »

I doubt this will hurt Hillary's brand at all, honestly. I just can't see it affecting her all that much. She desperately needs the black turnout, but what are they going to do, vote for Sanders? If it affects her at all, it'll be because they'll stay home in large numbers, but generally I doubt this'll be an issue for her.

EDIT JULY 19 2019: This was wrong and lacked perspective.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2016, 03:12:48 PM »

Celes are you sure you're a Democrat? I just looked at your candidate preferences.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2016, 03:18:48 PM »

Besides the internet sniping has any actual black leader condemned Clinton's remarks or asked him to apologize? I mean people like John Lewis, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, etc.
Because if not, and since the Sanders campaign is unable to capitalize this gaffe because Sanders himself voted for the bill, then I guess this is another tempest in a teapot that will be nothing more than a campaign curio in less than 48 hours. 
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2016, 03:35:09 PM »

bill clinton has always been vocally anti-blm (read: garbage), this isn't gonna change anything lol
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2016, 03:44:17 PM »

To say that the 1994 crime bill was the beginning of mass incarceration is rewriting history. That began in 1971 when Richard Nixon declared war on "Public Enemy #1"

As I've said before, I agree mostly with the general concerns of the BLM movement, but the way they go about it is extremely counterproductive. Hell, these people can't even get behind Bernie Sanders!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2016, 04:03:47 PM »

bill clinton has always been vocally anti-blm (read: garbage), this isn't gonna change anything lol

Yes, Ricky Ray Rector's life obviously didn't matter to Bill.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2016, 04:05:19 PM »

This may have killed the blm movement.   If a former dem president  ( a popular one) is slapping you down.

Well, Clinton was right about you BLM supporters then; you care more about the lives of criminals than law-abiding citizens.  I'm not a big Bill Clinton fan, but I'm definitely warming up to him based on the people he's setting off.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2016, 04:12:09 PM »

Well, Clinton was right about you BLM supporters then; you care more about the lives of criminals than law-abiding citizens.  I'm not a big Bill Clinton fan, but I'm definitely warming up to him based on the people he's setting off.

Come on fayette. The whole issue surrounding dislike/distrust of police is far too complex to break down like that. You can support police officers in general and still be very vocally pro-reform, acknowledging that our criminal justice system is terribly unfair and morally bankrupt from the top-down.

I'm not exactly supporting BLM here, but I have sympathy for the African American community and what they have been subjected to for generations. You have to try and put yourself in their shoes to understand this.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2016, 04:22:14 PM »

Come on fayette. The whole issue surrounding dislike/distrust of police is far too complex to break down like that. You can support police officers in general and still be very vocally pro-reform, acknowledging that our criminal justice system is terribly unfair and morally bankrupt from the top-down.

I'm not exactly supporting BLM here, but I have sympathy for the African American community and what they have been subjected to for generations. You have to try and put yourself in their shoes to understand this.

I'm not saying that you can't be pro-reform and still support police.  I'm talking about the people who protest as part of BLM against Bill Clinton, when his actions with respect to the crime bill helped make black communities safer.  Evergreen calling Bill Clinton "garbage" (which I actually kind of do, but from a very different perspective) just because he told the truth about the BLM agitators at the rally was pretty telling, IMO.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2016, 04:30:39 PM »

I'm not saying that you can't be pro-reform and still support police.  I'm talking about the people who protest as part of BLM against Bill Clinton, when his actions with respect to the crime bill helped make black communities safer.  Evergreen calling Bill Clinton "garbage" (which I actually kind of do, but from a very different perspective) just because he told the truth about the BLM agitators at the rally was pretty telling, IMO.

Fair enough, but I would still argue that locking up as many people as we have was not entirely necessary. We went way too far.

The sad truth is that this country has to accept that drugs will always be a problem as long as there is a desire for them. Criminalizing the issue only compounds the problem and ends up destroying lives/communities, with little to no reduction in use.

Ideally, the crackdown on this stuff should have been only temporary (a handful of years), while they worked out a more comprehensive solution that doesn't involve the criminal justice system.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2016, 04:47:04 PM »

Yes, Ricky Ray Rector's life obviously didn't matter to Bill.

Proving Bill right. Literally defending a murderer.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies