2016 Presidential Race and Control of Congress
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:12:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  2016 Presidential Race and Control of Congress
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which GOP candidate is most likely to imperil the Republican hold on Congress?
Donald Trump

Ted Cruz

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: 2016 Presidential Race and Control of Congress  (Read 575 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2016, 12:08:18 AM »

When Hillary Clinton wins the nomination (and in all likelihood the Presidency), she is going to need a Democratic Congress for at least her first two years to get anything done. 

Which GOP candidate (of the two most likely to win the nomination) is most likely to deliver that Democratic Congress? 
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 12:16:40 AM »

Obviously Trump. While I'll feel more confident about a Clinton win if Cruz wins the nomination, a race with Trump means more uncertainty, which means a greater chance of a Democratic landslide.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:14:26 AM »

Cruz will energize the base in key districts and have long coattails.

Trump will alienate his the GOP base, and his "strategy" for winning involves gaining votes in traditionally Democratic areas.  He will have no coattails whatsoever.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 01:51:41 PM »

I didn't know it was THAT obvious, considering how politically radioactive both candidates are going to be in the general election. 
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 02:26:18 PM »

I didn't know it was THAT obvious, considering how politically radioactive both candidates are going to be in the general election. 

It's definitely not obvious, but I agree this is more likely with Trump.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 02:30:08 PM »

I could see Trump delivering Congress, with possibly a substantial loss in the Senate. Not sure with the House.

Cruz, imo, would lose decently and cost them the Senate and probably dozen(s) of House seats, but not control of the House.

People have to remember that for Cruz (or anyone else) to get the nomination, they have to basically steal it from Trump. It may not technically be 'stealing' but the people will see it that way. Add a bitter, divided Republican electorate to the fact that the GOP brand has already been tarnished pretty bad by this race, and you get a recipe for disaster.

There is no happy ending here for Republicans.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 07:01:54 PM »

The one the Senate would love to see dead.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 07:26:14 PM »

I could see Trump delivering Congress, with possibly a substantial loss in the Senate. Not sure with the House.

Cruz, imo, would lose decently and cost them the Senate and probably dozen(s) of House seats, but not control of the House.

People have to remember that for Cruz (or anyone else) to get the nomination, they have to basically steal it from Trump. It may not technically be 'stealing' but the people will see it that way. Add a bitter, divided Republican electorate to the fact that the GOP brand has already been tarnished pretty bad by this race, and you get a recipe for disaster.

There is no happy ending here for Republicans.

This.

I went with Cruz on this one. I could see a lot of people voting against Trump and then voting straight Republican on the rest of their ballot. With Cruz (or worse yet, Ryan) the Republican brand will be significantly tarnished heading out of a brokered convention in Cleveland.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 10:58:16 PM »

When Hillary Clinton wins the nomination (and in all likelihood the Presidency), she is going to need a Democratic Congress for at least her first two years to get anything done. 

An implicit assumption in your statement is that people want her to get anything done. Perhaps it's not such a bad thing to have the Congress and the President being from different parties. I know that if Ted Cruz were to win the presidency, I'd hope that at least the Senate would swing back to be under the control of the Dems. Likewise, if Clinton wins the presidency, I hope the GOP remains in control of the Senate. It's probably safer that way. I mean, the reason we have that legislative gem known as Obamacare is that Obama started out with the Dems controlling the House and Senate. Gridlock is not necessarily a bad thing...
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 10:24:23 AM »

None.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 10:26:38 AM »

Trump. A Goldwaterish landslide is possible.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies