Jeffrey Toobin: "New York values" is classic anti-Semitic slur
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:40:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jeffrey Toobin: "New York values" is classic anti-Semitic slur
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Jeffrey Toobin: "New York values" is classic anti-Semitic slur  (Read 2998 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2016, 12:03:34 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jeffrey-toobin-new-york-values-anti-semitic-cruz
yankeesfan
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 12:07:51 PM »

Totally makes sense.  Donald Trump is a prominent Jewish politician, so this smear was obviously targeted at his Jewish faith. /s

Do these pundits even listen to what they're saying?  
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 12:09:08 PM »

Totally makes sense.  Donald Trump is a prominent Jewish politician, so this smear was obviously targeted at his Jewish faith. /s

Do these pundits even listen to what they're saying?  

*whoosh*
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 12:11:06 PM »

As someone who has grown up in the Midwest, New York (or alternatively Hollywood) values is definitely coded antisemitism. Both Cruz and his intended audience knew exactly what he was saying. It probably would have worked too, but Cruz didn't count on Trump launching into the most rousing defense of the great state of New York in modern history.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 12:12:30 PM »

Jews think everything is anti-Semitic.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 12:14:21 PM »

Cruz is going to get get crushed in ny.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 12:16:59 PM »

That is silly.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 12:18:20 PM »

I find the NY Daily News Cruz-covers really illustrative (this one is from a few months ago):

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 12:20:48 PM »

Yeah, it's Cruz and his supporters who are the anti-Semites in this race. Not the man who refuses to condemn David Duke and is endorsed by neo-Nazis.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »

I'm Jewish (secular), and my Jewish neighbor brought this up.

Antisemitism is like racism.  It's one of those things that just hangs in the air, that no one wants to admit they have, yet still have on a subconscious level.  When I tell people my name, there's this tension in the air, this sense of "You're not one of US.  Not REALLY."

We remember "No dogs or Jews allowed."  It wasn't that long ago.

And then there are all the assumptions, overt or subconscious.  You must be some East-coast radical, your family must be rich, you're really privileged and have all these connections, you must suck at sports, you're probably a nerd, you're not gonna want to hang out and have a beer with us "ordinary folk," it goes on and on.  Forget ever being "one of the boys."

So, yeah, we hear "New York values," even if it's directly about Donald Trump, and it still raises hackles.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 12:24:31 PM »

Yeah, it's Cruz and his supporters who are the anti-Semites in this race. Not the man who refuses to condemn David Duke and is endorsed by neo-Nazis.
Orthodox Jews love Trump. His daughter is a convert to Orthodox Judaism after all.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 12:25:41 PM »

Orthodox Jews love Trump. His daughter is a convert to Orthodox Judaism after all.

Which makes his pandering to white supremacists all the more deplorable.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 12:34:59 PM »

Antisemitism is like racism.  It's one of those things that just hangs in the air, that no one wants to admit they have, yet still have on a subconscious level.  When I tell people my name, there's this tension in the air, this sense of "You're not one of US.  Not REALLY."

And then there are all the assumptions, overt or subconscious.  You must be some East-coast radical, your family must be rich, you're really privileged and have all these connections, you must suck at sports, you're probably a nerd, you're not gonna want to hang out and have a beer with us "ordinary folk," it goes on and on.  Forget ever being "one of the boys."

So, yeah, we hear "New York values," even if it's directly about Donald Trump, and it still raises hackles.

Seriously, you are a White dude. No one cares. You are not a victim of super subtle anti-Semitism that's so subtle only paranoid Jews who are actively looking for it can perceive it. Find another narrative to give your life meaning.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 12:44:09 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQFU1y928dw
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 12:45:11 PM »

Didn't West Wing teach us this like 20 years ago?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 12:46:40 PM »

Of course it is, especially when Lyin' Ted elaborated that NY values represent "money and the media."
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »

Seriously, you are a White dude. No one cares. You are not a victim of super subtle anti-Semitism that's so subtle only paranoid Jews who are actively looking for it can perceive it. Find another narrative to give your life meaning.
You're in no judgement to determine what is racism and what isn't. Many of the people whining about the Rothschilds or the Federal Reserve or Hollywood or whatever use antisemitic language whether they know it or not. It's definitely there.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 12:51:06 PM »

Didn't West Wing teach us this like 20 years ago?
According to Atlas, antisemitism, along with racism, ended in the 1990s.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 12:52:31 PM »

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 12:54:02 PM »

You're in no judgement to determine what is racism and what isn't. Many of the people whining about the Rothschilds or the Federal Reserve or Hollywood or whatever use antisemitic language whether they know it or not. It's definitely there.

The new rules of racism. If even one person thinks something is racist, it's racist. If a million people think someone isn't racist, their opinions aren't relevant.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 12:54:38 PM »

Geraldo concurs:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/geraldo-cnns-toobin-call-cruzs-new-york-values-attack-an-anti-semitic-smear/
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »

I'm not saying I necessarily agree, just that this is why we react this way.

Be a Jew in flyover country before you make pronouncements.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 12:55:47 PM »

"NY values" is definitely code. It might not have been deliberate antisemitism on Cruz's part, but the implication was still there.

Also, LOL at people who aren't Jewish declaring with confidence that antisemitism doesn't exist. Next time I want to know whether racism against blacks still exists, I'll be sure to ask white people.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 12:58:34 PM »

Jews think everything is anti-Semitic.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 01:05:28 PM »

The new rules of racism. If even one person thinks something is racist, it's racist. If a million people think someone isn't racist, their opinions aren't relevant.

You're seriously lecturing to a Jew that the racism he has perceived over the course of his lived experience doesn't count? Wow. There's a living example of someone being blinded by privilege if I ever saw one.

Tell me, what is so threatening about being asked to be a bit more sensitive and humble?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies