Hillary Clinton was better at "being a candidate" in 2008. Agree or disagree?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:34:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary Clinton was better at "being a candidate" in 2008. Agree or disagree?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Hillary Clinton was better at "being a candidate" in 2008. Agree or disagree?
Agree/Dem. primary voter

Disagree/Dem. primary voter

Agree/GOP primary voter

Disagree/GOP primary voter

Agree/Other

Disagree/Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Hillary Clinton was better at "being a candidate" in 2008. Agree or disagree?  (Read 1699 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2016, 01:32:01 PM »

I supported Hillary then and I do now... but as a Hillary fan I can't help but feel like we haven't gotten to see as much of the Hillary this time around that we got to see last time around. By the end of the 2008 campaign she was warm, almost motherly, relatable, and her stump speech was on fire. It's like she'd seriously been humbled and was revealing a lot more of herself on the trail. The real Hillary.

Maybe I'm just misremembering, but she seems a lot more guarded these days.

What I'm asking, then, is not whether she was a better candidate for the times back in 2008, but if she was actually performing better on the trail.

I know we're in the middle of an intense primary, but I ask that the Berniebots not automatically vote that yes, she was better back then, just because they currently hate her now. Have her campaign skills improved or regressed?
dax00

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 01:36:55 PM »

They have regressed. She is now feeling more entitled and is assuming victory, which is never a good thing.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 01:38:53 PM »

They have regressed. She is now feeling more entitled and is assuming victory, which is never a good thing.

Everyone who had followed the 2008 should remember the sense of inevitability and even entitlement Hillary's campaign displayed back then. Now, she would be an idiot not to learn from that experience and she's not an idiot. She's better candidate now, no doubts.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 01:49:49 PM »

I don't think there is much difference between Hillary 08 and Hillary 16, it's just that the "historical" and "pragmatic" arguments didn't hold as much weight against Obama as they do against Sanders.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 02:07:49 PM »

I strongly disagree, and apparently America does too.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 02:13:10 PM »

Agree on balance. And the email thing is not helpful vis a vis the trust factor for her.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »

She was, and more likeable in fact (at least in my opinion), my 2 candidates in 2008 were Ron Paul and Hillary Clinton for very good reasons.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 02:42:45 PM »

Hillary has never been a good candidate, and sadly she probably never will be.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 03:02:22 PM »

She was, and more likeable in fact (at least in my opinion), my 2 candidates in 2008 were Ron Paul and Hillary Clinton for very good reasons.

Polar opposites?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 03:17:02 PM »

I actually think she's a much stronger candidate this time. Last time, she came off as entitled, and was much more negative. Now, even though she's in a much better position than she was last time, she doesn't wear that same air of inevitability and arrogance.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 03:20:22 PM »

Democratic primary voters do, not America. She has worse favorability ratings this time than she did in 2008.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 03:21:57 PM »

Democratic primary voters do, not America. She has worse favorability ratings this time than she did in 2008.

That's why I find it funny that one of the two most hated people in America right now will end up being our 45th President.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 03:33:45 PM »

I actually think she's a much stronger candidate this time. Last time, she came off as entitled, and was much more negative. Now, even though she's in a much better position than she was last time, she doesn't wear that same air of inevitability and arrogance.

How so? From what I've heard she's frustrated that Bernie hasn't backed down and pledged allegiance to her, to the point of going negative even though it makes no political sense for her to.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »

How so? From what I've heard she's frustrated that Bernie hasn't backed down and pledged allegiance to her, to the point of going negative even though it makes no political sense for her to.

She's recently become a bit more negative, and we'll see if it lasts, but I vividly remember the 2008 primary. Let me know when she says "shame on you, Bernie Sanders."
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »

She was better at being a traditional democrat in 2008; she was running on the basis that she would make a good commander in chief-this election (for the dems at least) has been focused on the economy whilst 2008 was Foreign Policy.

Worth noting that she was seen as being to the left of Obama in 2008 on certain issues
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 04:03:11 PM »

Much better, less bitterness, more detailed policies, and she defeated Obama on the Popular despite the huge media shilling for him [which he admits to using], and the worse-than-Gore hate for her.

Now she's struggling to completely wrest Bernie [who hasn't done so well with attack], and she's resorted to "I'm a woman", and there is justifiably more bitterness.

So quite obviously I agree.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 04:10:49 PM »

She used better dirty tricks in 2008. Imagine the attacks she'd have launched if Sanders had been black.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 04:11:18 PM »

She was a better candidate at the end of the 2008 run (not entitled beginning) when she had to fight for her wins and had large wins despite trailing Obama over all. Her profile as a fighter suited her well. I still support her but would like to see more of the '2008 Ohio Hillary' back, if that's even possible?...
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 04:18:21 PM »

She never dealt with the FBI/Email thing in 2008 and her favorability numbers were much better. I think her SOS sting may have been a net negative for her considering the email situation, Benghazi, and her involvement in Libya. If she stayed a Senator she wouldn't have much on experience as Sanders but no email scandal or Benghazi.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 04:28:06 PM »

She was a better candidate at the end of the 2008 run (not entitled beginning) when she had to fight for her wins and had large wins despite trailing Obama over all. Her profile as a fighter suited her well. I still support her but would like to see more of the '2008 Ohio Hillary' back, if that's even possible?...

That profile worked because she were the underdog by then. It doesn't work when you're ahead by as much as she is now.

She never dealt with the FBI/Email thing in 2008 and her favorability numbers were much better. I think her SOS sting may have been a net negative for her considering the email situation, Benghazi, and her involvement in Libya. If she stayed a Senator she wouldn't have much on experience as Sanders but no email scandal or Benghazi.

Oh look, another Berniebot parroting right-wing talking points.
One could see a pattern there.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 04:29:25 PM »

If anything she's worse, but the party and media have her back more, and it's much more PC to attack a white man than a black man.
psychprofessor

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 05:48:44 PM »

Her campaigning is the same; her team and strategic decisions are so much better than 2008 that it is like night and day. At least once or twice a week in 2008 there were Hillary gaffes - sniper fire comments; Bill's SC meltdown; Shame on You; they re-shuffled their campaign after Super Tuesday...you just got a sense that her team was chaotic. They would bounce from message to message depending on the day of the week. This time she has been focused and determined; spent her money wisely (she was out of money and loaned her campaign last time) and put together a good ground game that probably saved her in Iowa and Nevada.

If you're looking for inspiration she doesn't provide that. She is common sense practical. Some people don't like that but in an age where politicians promise all things to all people, I actually like that she provides thoughtful responses to to questions about what she thinks she can get done.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 08:16:52 PM »

She's a better candidate, and more statesman-like.

(I supported Obama in 2008, and Hillary now)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 08:47:08 PM »

I strongly disliked her then, and I strongly dislike her now.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 08:51:49 PM »

She's a better candidate, and more statesman-like.

(I supported Obama in 2008, and Hillary now)

Basically, this. Hillary was a worse candidate in 08, easily. But she's not a natural retail politician, something that she's acknowledged.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies