How Libertarian candidate Austin Petersen attracts Cruz supporters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:00:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How Libertarian candidate Austin Petersen attracts Cruz supporters
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Libertarian candidate Austin Petersen attracts Cruz supporters  (Read 575 times)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:37:56 PM »
« edited: April 08, 2016, 03:39:46 PM by 5280 »

A great read, and I would vote for the guy if he got the nomination on Libertarian ticket. Very similar to Cruz on most positions. He worked with Glenn Beck in the past, and I could see Glenn Beck voting for him if it's Trump vs Clinton for the general election.

http://alibertarianfuture.com/2016-libertarian-party-nomination/austin-petersen-has-a-plan-to-win-ted-cruz-and-bernie-sanders-voters-in-november/#sthash.YBFEQQT5.dpbs
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 03:46:30 PM »

That's great and all but this isn't great news for him at the Libertarian convention when party hardliners won't like this talk of appealing to Cruz supporters. Sad but true, this kind of thing might cost him the nomination.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »

The Constitution Party convention is in a week. If they nominate somebody with more political experience, and who is even closer to the Republicans than Petersen, then this particular argument for Petersen won't hold up that well.

Picking the candidate who is most like other parties in order to draw their partisans isn't a good strategy to begin with. The spoiler effect is strong. It's probably more important to choose the most engaging candidate to draw in independents. (But I'm not one to vote strategically anyway.)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 04:02:27 PM »

I feel like Petersen is just a typical R for the most part just running on the LP ticket because it'd be easy.

While I agree with him on practically everything, I do not see him getting the LP nomination nor do I see him doing better than what Gary Johnson could do.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 05:54:36 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2016, 05:57:03 PM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

I feel like Petersen is just a typical R for the most part just running on the LP ticket because it'd be easy.

While I agree with him on practically everything, I do not see him getting the LP nomination nor do I see him doing better than what Gary Johnson could do.
Petersen is your typical R, but somehow Johnson is the beacon of libertarianism?

I'm speaking in regards to how the delegates for the LP would view Petersen, they seem like they would go for Johnson and he could appeal to more in a general election than Petersen would, if I was a delegate, I'd vote for Petersen or McAfee at this point.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 06:09:49 PM »

If the LP wants to become a liable 3rd party nationally, they would be smart and attract disenfranchised Cruz supporters. Can you imagine how much the LP would grow if they attracted all of them. I could see Austin Petersen get at least 20-30% of the vote if he was able to pick up every Cruz supporter without alienating borderline anarchists and left-Libertarians.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 06:16:08 PM »

If the LP wants to become a liable 3rd party nationally, they would be smart and attract disenfranchised Cruz supporters. Can you imagine how much the LP would grow if they attracted all of them. I could see Austin Petersen get at least 20-30% of the vote if he was able to pick up every Cruz supporter without alienating borderline anarchists and left-Libertarians.

I don't think left-Libertarians are voting for the LP... They seem like Green party territory to me.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 06:21:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There goes the neckbeard-and-fedora vote.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 07:03:39 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There goes the neckbeard-and-fedora vote.
And how much of the vote would that cost? Probably less than 1%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies