Next countries to legalize Gay Marriage? (after Colombia)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:19:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Next countries to legalize Gay Marriage? (after Colombia)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Next countries to legalize Gay Marriage? (after Colombia)  (Read 9880 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2016, 07:36:04 PM »
« edited: April 08, 2016, 07:37:51 PM by Blue3 »

Colombia legalizes Gay Marriage

... but now the question is, which countries are next?

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »

First Tier (pretty likely within the next one or two years, or otherwise "inevitable"):

Rest of Mexico, Taiwan, Australia, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Faroe Islands,

Second Tier (by 2020, I'd be surprised if the dominos hadn't fallen)

Greece, Italy, N. Ireland, Austria, Germany, Nepal, Malta, Costa Rica, Estonia

Third Tier: Wild-cards

Japan, S. Korea, Albania, Thailand, Israel (civil marriage would have to be enacted first), Vietnam, Ecuador, Venezuela, Chile (!), Bolivia (would have to be done via constitution though, so rather unlikely), Ecuador (same), Rest of EU, Cuba
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:03:35 PM »

Italy is almost there. If PD wins a majority with the new electoral system, Renzi will almost certainly push for it.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »

Third Tier: Wild-cards

Japan, S. Korea, Albania, Thailand, Israel (civil marriage would have to be enacted first), Vietnam, Ecuador, Venezuela, Chile (!), Bolivia (would have to be done via constitution though, so rather unlikely), Ecuador (same), Rest of EU, Cuba

Japan would have to be done via constitution too, and even though there is of course talk of constitutional revision in Japan I doubt this is on Abe's list.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 04:10:47 PM »

Japan has the added nuance that many people balk at the idea that any family relationship needs 'state approval' in the first place. And the systems of family registration in place allow round about ways to register gay couples anyway. So Japan needs a naturally Japanese response to this. I think it will get there before South Korea, even though on the surface it should be the other way, because it doesn't have 'grey goo' Christians to contend with at a political level.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 05:09:58 PM »

I hope that there will be some countries which will rather delegalize, not legalize.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 06:20:27 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2016, 06:28:04 PM by IceAgeComing »

Second Tier (by 2020, I'd be surprised if the dominos hadn't fallen)

Greece, Italy, N. Ireland, Austria, Germany, Nepal, Malta, Costa Rica, Estonia

I doubt whether Northern Ireland or Estonia will have marriage equality by 2020 - the latter pretty much needs the DUP to change their mind on the thing at least to the point of allowing a majority vote and that's rather unlikely; and although Estonia is one of the better former Eastern Block countries on LGBT rights (definitely behind Croatia, probably also behind the Czech Republic) I don't think that public opinion will have shifted on the issue enough to legalise marriage equality - the Russian population is still very hostile to registered unions, I'd imagine that support for marriage is even lower.  I can't see the Centre Party supporting the thing - if they did then it'd definitely hurt them amongst the Russian minority and that's a huge part of their vote - and I don't think that there'd be enough support among the "Estonian" parties to get the thing through.  I'm pretty sure that Estonia will legislate it before the other two Baltic states though; Latvia has a much larger Russian population and the Latvian population seems to support LGBT rights less than Estonia (although the most recent polling I could find was a Eurobarometer from 2006); while Lithuania has a terrible record on LGBT rights (they are the only EU country to have a Russian-style "propaganda" law) and support for civil partnerships is sub-10% in the most recent polls that I could find.  I think that the latter is a huge shame: that's admittedly because I've been to the place (uni exchange in Klaipeda: really nice city that I'd recommend going to if you're near, nice beaches which surprised me) and thought that it was an incredibly nice place that I'd go to again, and it'd be only made better if they'd make positive steps forward in this area.

Everywhere else on that list seems plausible - I'm pretty sure that it passed majority support in Germany a fair while ago and its just the CDU/CSU holding the thing up, Italy will get it if Renzi gets a good result in the next election, and the others I can't say anything concrete about because I don't know much about them.  If it was not for the referendum a few years ago I think that you could have put Croatia on that list just based on the good stuff that they've done recently; but I think that its very unlikely there for a fair while because they managed to get a ban in the constitution.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »

I hope that there will be some countries which will rather delegalize, not legalize.

As I hope Germany will reannex Prussia, saving productive cities from the backwards, religion-frothing feckless rural masses.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 07:19:48 PM »

Huh, I hadn't heard about Colombia. Great news!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 07:28:37 PM »

N. Ireland could legalise SSM through a popular vote tbh,
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 07:46:26 PM »

As I hope Germany will reannex Prussia, saving productive cities from the backwards, religion-frothing feckless rural masses.

2/10, try harder.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 08:31:50 AM »

Really?
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 06:41:49 PM »

I don't see this happening: in order for that to pass you'd basically need DUP support because of the petition of concern thing and I don't see why they'd support a referendum since there's a very big chance that it'd pass.  Maybe things will move a lot faster in Northern Ireland than I expect (as they have in lots of countries), but I don't see the party of Ian Paisley supporting anything that'd potentially lead towards marriage equality
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 07:55:38 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2016, 08:04:06 PM by Nhoj »

Looks to be that both the candidates in peru in the runoff support civil unions.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 10:56:17 PM »

First Tier (pretty likely within the next one or two years, or otherwise "inevitable"):

Rest of Mexico,

Mexico has legalized last year, a week before the US. The Supreme Court has created an unambiguous jurisprudence that is mandatory for all courts. What remains is a quirk of Mexican law: technically, such jurisprudence has no direct precedent for the executive. So, in states where gay marriage is not legal by law, local authorities may still refuse to register it. In this case the couple in question must go to court, which is obliged to explicitly order that the marriage be registered: that order, unlike the precedent, is binding on the executive.  There is nothing else the courts can do, and it does not seem likely there will be legislative action, either federally or nationally. But, the fact is, every Mexican couple, no matter where it is located, can have their marriage registered and every civil authority in the country can be forced to register it: albeit, under a court order.
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 01:44:33 AM »

Not China  (PRC) apparently

China court refuses to allow gay marriage in landmark case

http://gu.com/p/4tac4?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 04:52:05 PM »

I hope both of you would shut up.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 12:09:37 PM »

Taiwan is set to legalise gay marriage. EPN's proposal to legalise marriage definitively was shot down though.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 08:36:12 PM »

Taiwan is set to legalise gay marriage. EPN's proposal to legalise marriage definitively was shot down though.

What is EPN?

In the last year or so I read that Nepal & Cambodia were considering legalizing gay marriage but I doubt its a priority for them.

Germany, Italy & Australia are the chief offenders on this issue.
Axel Foley
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 08:55:07 PM »

Our civil unions are practically a marriage called with another name( in full Italian style), but the only real difference stays in the right to adopt still inaccessible to same sex couples( not a little difference, I admit). Besides, lesbians have now full access to IVF, and our "Supreme Court"( Court of Cassation) has admitted the so-called stepchild adoption in particular cases such as theirs, so the legal problems are "only" faced by male gay couples who used the surrogacy in a country allowing so( in Italy is forbidden even for straight couples).

I think that a PD lead-govern after 2018 would fully recognize civil unions as marriages and the same sex couples right to adopt...but it's a big IF.

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 07:28:08 AM »

What is EPN?

In the last year or so I read that Nepal & Cambodia were considering legalizing gay marriage but I doubt its a priority for them.

Germany, Italy & Australia are the chief offenders on this issue.

enrique peņa nieto
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 08:53:17 AM »

Nepal's Supreme Court said it needed to be in the draft constitution ages ago, but it seems to have fallen by the wayside.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 12:31:59 PM »

Not gonna happen.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 12:52:47 PM »

Not gonna happen.

I want to believe.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 10:49:44 AM »

Believe in something else.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: