Next countries to legalize Gay Marriage? (after Colombia) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:22:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Next countries to legalize Gay Marriage? (after Colombia) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Next countries to legalize Gay Marriage? (after Colombia)  (Read 9935 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: December 25, 2016, 04:23:52 PM »

Out of interest, what is your reasoning? Why shouldn't straight couples be able to marry in a civil marriage, too? That'd solve problems like a Cohen and divorcee not being able to marry, for example.
I think religious Jewish marriage is an important institution that should absolutely be maintained in a Jewish state. At the same time, the state should give same-sex couples the same legal rights as straight couples, including the right to marry. And because of the fact that it is impossible for same-sex couples to marry in a religious ceremony, civil marriage needs to be instated for them. However, it is not needed for straight couples, who can (and should) marry the Jewish way.

I don't think it is a problem that a Cohen and a divorcee cannot marry one another.

Uh about 20% of Israel's population is not Jewish.

Does civil marriage exist in the Netherlands? Yes. Do you oppose that?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2016, 04:48:04 PM by Voter #652 »

Uh about 20% of Israel's population is not Jewish.
Yes, and they can marry in Muslim, Christian, Druze etc. ceremonies that are recognized by the state, exactly like Jewish marriage. Nothing's broke, nothing to be fixed.

Does civil marriage exist in the Netherlands? Yes. Do you oppose that?
Yes and no. But the Netherlands is not a Jewish state.

Unless they are not Christian, Druze or Muslim either. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion

And the last point contradicts the second. Why should people who are not Jewish not have the right to civil marriage just because they live in a Jewish state?

Also the UK is legally a Christian state yet it has civil marriage law.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 04:53:29 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2016, 04:55:18 PM by Voter #652 »

Yeah "if you don't like having your freedom infringed tough luck" is not something I'll ever agree with. Citizens of all countries should have the same marriage rights as in the US or the Netherlands. Double standards are never acceptable.

And I will NEVER have a Catholic or Orthodox wedding, even if I was born into that. Forcing someone to marry in a religion they don't believe in is f[inks]ing disgusting.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 07:21:32 PM »

Hysterically, David is basically sounding like some conservative raging against gay marriage in their state pre-Obergefell basically saying if you want to have a gay marriage go do it in a different state or leave. Like how is that any different?

Ironically he wants discrimination in the opposite direction, especially as this would enable only gay couples to marry outside their religion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies