The essence of Secretary Clinton's email troubles
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:24:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The essence of Secretary Clinton's email troubles
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The essence of Secretary Clinton's email troubles  (Read 834 times)
SillyAmerican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:41:39 AM »

Many (including Clinton herself) have argued that Hillary Clinton didn't do anything wrong because the email messages in question were not marked classified. However, is this a defensible position? Specifically, can the following info be squared?

Mrs. Clinton's statements during the Univision Democratic Debate on March 9th (the emboldened highlighting provided by me):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

However, the language of the NDA signed by Secretary Clinton suggests that it was her responsibility to ascertain whether information shared through her private email server was, in fact, classified. Section 3 of the text reads as follows (where ""SCI" refers to "Sensitive Compartmented Information"; again, emboldened highlighting provided by me):

Ok, so the State Department claims none of the emails now marked classified were labeled as such at the time they were sent, but one email thread in June 2011 appears to include Clinton telling her top adviser, Jake Sullivan, to send secure information through insecure means. In response to Clinton's request, Sullivan writes, "They say they've had issues sending secure fax. They're working on it." Clinton responds "If they can't, turn into non paper [with] no identifying heading and send nonsecure."

I'm relating nothing new here, but it sure seems like enough to raise the question: doesn't this cause Clinton problems?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 03:46:42 AM »

The NSA told her that using a blackberry absolutely wasn't permitted, and yet she still used one. For the first 2 months, her personal email server didn't have a certificate, and so the emails were sent plaintext over the unsecured Internet. This included a visit to some Asian countries, including China.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 03:46:55 AM »

It is a ridiculous case that noone would care even the slightest about if it weren't for the fact that it is about Hillary Clinton.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 03:47:39 AM »

It is a ridiculous case that noone would care even the slightest about if it weren't for the fact that it is about Hillary Clinton.

The FBI still would.

And if this was Bernie, Hillary would have been the one with a double digit win in Wisconsin for sure.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 03:52:11 AM »

The NSA told her that using a blackberry absolutely wasn't permitted, and yet she still used one. For the first 2 months, her personal email server didn't have a certificate, and so the emails were sent plaintext over the unsecured Internet. This included a visit to some Asian countries, including China.

How is that gig on Fox News going jfern? Is it true that you will take Hannity's time slot?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 03:52:56 AM »

I'd be interested to know if you refute any of the facts presented in the initial post. Saying it's a ridiculous case is one thing, but why do you think that?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 03:57:09 AM »

How is that gig on Fox News going jfern? Is it true that you will take Hannity's time slot?

Everything I said was factual.
Panda Express

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 04:02:12 AM »

The email fiasco has made me support Hillary even MORE. I personally hate having to use a bunch of email addresses. My company has one for me but I seldom use it. I prefer to use my tried-and-true email address. So I hope a president Clinton FORCES everyone to use personal email addresses more.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 04:07:40 AM »

The email fiasco has made me support Hillary even MORE. I personally hate having to use a bunch of email addresses. My company has one for me but I seldom use it. I prefer to use my tried-and-true email address. So I hope a president Clinton FORCES everyone to use personal email addresses more.

This wasn't for the little people.

"I was surprised that he used personal email account if he was at State" - Hillary on her personal email account she was using at State.

But seriously, any remotely competent IT guy could tell you that mixing top secret classified work information with your personal email account is totally unacceptable.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 04:18:24 AM »

I agree with CNN Political Analyst Gloria Borger, who said the following:

But I honestly hope that the FBI and Justice Department will be able to proceed in a non-partisan fashion.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 04:22:13 AM »

It would take an indictment to make a real difference (if Hillary is indicted, and that's a big if, I'd prefer it happening now rather than when she secures the nomination, which would be disastrous), otherwise Democratic voters just doesn't care.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 04:34:12 AM »

The FBI still would.

And if this was Bernie, Hillary would have been the one with a double digit win in Wisconsin for sure.

LMAO oh yes I'm sure her e-mail faux scandal was the top concern of all voters in Wisconsin. Nice spin, though.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 10:24:47 AM »

There is a huge chance she will get a recommendation for indictment - Which the DOJ will likely reject.

The news will surely go public bringing Clinton's public career to a shameful & humiliating end! She will live as a disgraced person & politician if that happens!
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 10:28:42 AM »

Are we really at this again?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »

There is a huge chance she will get a recommendation for indictment - Which the DOJ will likely reject.

The news will surely go public bringing Clinton's public career to a shameful & humiliating end! She will live as a disgraced person & politician if that happens!

Whether the DOJ decides to move forward or not is in some ways irrelevant. What's important, at least from the investigation standpoint, is that every t is crossed and every i is dotted, which is why this thing has now dragged on for over a year.

I was just curious if people think the thread of reasoning that I put down in the first post is enough to at least ask followup questions, or if people really insist that the Secretary did nothing wrong.

Yes. Sorry. But don't worry, I believe it will all be over soon...
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 01:05:28 PM »

There would be no investigation if she wasn't running for president. If there's an indictment, there's an indictment and we'll talk about its ramifications then. We don't need to keep making new posts about this unless there's new information.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 02:35:36 PM »

There would be no investigation if she wasn't running for president. If there's an indictment, there's an indictment and we'll talk about its ramifications then. We don't need to keep making new posts about this unless there's new information.

Maybe the discussion should focus on whether appointment of a special council would have been justified.

And in my defense, this keeps showing up in the news; on Meet the Press Sunday, Clinton said the following:

Given the fact that there are multiple ongoing investigations, I think it's fair to say that somebody thinks something inappropriate was done, and I think it interesting to consider what that something might be...
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 09:04:29 AM »

Even as we wait for an indication of FBI findings, the issue continues to show up in the press.

Here's a portion of an article about Comey and FBI activities in the April 11th issue of Time magazine:

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 09:14:38 AM »

What if she gets indicted after she is elected as President?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 09:54:53 AM »

Trying a sitting president would be a logistical nightmare. The House of Representatives has the power to impeach the president, but the Senate would then need to convict before any punishment could be handed down. A more realistic question would be whether or not Mr. Obama will/should pardon her, if it came down to it.

I believe an indication of whether Mrs. Clinton acted negligently will be made known prior to the conventions. The FBI has already spent a year combing through documents; dotting i and crossing t activities aside, they have to know whether there's enough here to be concerned about. And although Mr. Comey says that no time limit has been placed on the investigation, he has to be keenly aware of the political ramifications, so I have to believe the report will be coming to Lynch sooner rather than later.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 11:03:33 AM »

Trying a sitting president would be a logistical nightmare. The House of Representatives has the power to impeach the president, but the Senate would then need to convict before any punishment could be handed down. A more realistic question would be whether or not Mr. Obama will/should pardon her, if it came down to it.

I believe an indication of whether Mrs. Clinton acted negligently will be made known prior to the conventions. The FBI has already spent a year combing through documents; dotting i and crossing t activities aside, they have to know whether there's enough here to be concerned about. And although Mr. Comey says that no time limit has been placed on the investigation, he has to be keenly aware of the political ramifications, so I have to believe the report will be coming to Lynch sooner rather than later.

The way it is going I think it is fair to say at best thing thing will get over in a couple of months, around May. Maybe it may stretch out but will be resolved before the convention.

Obama will pardon Clinton if need be but then Clinton's candidacy will be over due the news spreading through the media
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies