Where is weighted voting used in the United States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:35:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Where is weighted voting used in the United States
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where is weighted voting used in the United States  (Read 670 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2016, 05:44:35 AM »

We know it is used in NY, for one weird city, and in many counties for boards of supervisors. Is it used anywhere else? My google searches do not prove fruitful. Jimrtex?  Smiley
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 07:38:13 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2016, 07:45:11 AM by muon2 »

In IL it is used for party voting. When elected precinct committeemen are required to vote on items such as the county chair, state central committeeman, or most importantly to fill a vacancy in an elected office held by a member of that a weighed vote is used. The weighted vote for committeemen electing a county chair is equal to the number of Pub ballots cast in that precinct/township at the previous primary. For other votes different election totals are used.

For example if a Pub state representative in a district with multiple counties were to move out of state and vacate the office, the appointing committee would be the Pub party chairs of each county. Each Pub county chair would have a weighted vote equal to the ballots cast in the last general election for winning Pub candidate.

The State Central Committee uses a weighted vote based on the general election votes cast for the party by CD. That weighted vote was used to put Alan Keyes on the ballot in 2004 for US Senator against Obama when Jack Ryan was asked to step down after the primary.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 05:33:16 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2016, 05:36:05 PM by President Griffin »

Probably not what you're looking for but another party example: I know that the Young Democrats of Georgia (and therefore probably all state YD orgs) assign weight to county delegations at each annual convention based on the distance each county had to travel. The county delegations that have to travel the farthest usually get anywhere from 2-3x the weight per delegate when compared to the county delegations closest to the convention location.

I would imagine the national org does this for each state delegation at its annual convention as well.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 01:17:12 AM »

We know it is used in NY, for one weird city, and in many counties for boards of supervisors. Is it used anywhere else? My google searches do not prove fruitful. Jimrtex?  Smiley
Barnstable County, MA, the Assembly of Delegates is weighted by population. The county government styles itself as the regional government of Cape Cod. There are also 3 county commissioners elected at large, who appear to have executive authority.

Is Barnstable's Weighted Voting System Legal (PDF)

It is written by the county counsel, and thus is equivocal.

Bristol, Norfolk, and Plymouth counties in Massachusetts have Advisory Boards whose vote is weighted based on property valuation. Their authority appears to be limited to fiscal matters, though the Norfolk County website suggests that board members be contacted on other matters.

Outside the southeast, county governments in Massachusetts have been abolished. In most cases courts have been continued, but they are legally, district courts with geographical jurisdiction that corresponds to the area of the former county. Some still keep the county as part of the name, but those for Essex, Middlesex, and Worcester are named Eastern, Northern, and Middle.

Corporate governance is usually weighted based on shares owned.

European Council of Ministers is weighted, somewhat on population.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 07:00:34 AM »

Ah yes, I remember Barnstable now, and came across it in my quest for document templates. You of course found the paper that I came across. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies