Who has been the worst President overall?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:08:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who has been the worst President overall?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who has been the worst President overall?  (Read 1478 times)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2016, 08:21:56 PM »

Grant was fantastic. Top 5 president for sure.

Tyler was a traitor who betrayed the country and fought for slavers. I include their careers outside of the presidency as well, which is why I rate Carter pretty high up, and Eisenhower and Grant in the top five.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2016, 08:37:09 PM »

Typically, American presidents only manage to ruin America. Woodrow Wilson managed to immolate the entire world.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2016, 08:52:05 PM »

literally one person has mentioned Andrew Johnson what the  is this thread
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2016, 10:01:32 PM »

James Buchanan and Andrew Johnson.

Although it would be hard for anyone to rule in those times, it's possible to inherit a mess and not be a failure.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 11:24:30 PM »

Typically, American presidents only manage to ruin America. Woodrow Wilson managed to immolate the entire world.

Why is Wilson blamed for the aftermath of ww1 he was against punishing Germany too hard it was the British and French who did that and the League of Nations was rejected by an isolationist congress .
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2016, 11:41:56 PM »

The country literally broke apart under Buchanan. You can't top that.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2016, 11:49:35 PM »

Why is Wilson blamed for the aftermath of ww1 he was against punishing Germany too hard it was the British and French who did that and the League of Nations was rejected by an isolationist congress .

I agree with beep boop for once.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 12:00:41 AM »

Buchanan or Wilson.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2016, 05:15:02 AM »

I don't think any President has a greater contrast between First and Second terms than Wilson.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2016, 06:01:32 AM »

Buchanan.

It was not just that he was President at the time the union broke up. It is that he did nothing to reverse the crisis and passively allowed it to get worse by not holding his people accountable. For one thing, his Secretary of War purposely redirected military hardware to the South to ensure it would fall into Confederate hands once the South seceded.

He had one big magic bullet, that turned out to be dagger into the heart of the union. The Dred Scott case, he thought that the weight of respect for the court would suppress the dissent and "forever resolve the issue". So he violated the separation of powers and actively collaborated with the Chief Justice to produce the worst rulling in the history of the Supreme Court, damaging its long term reputation.

And it produced exactly the opposite, solidifying the North around the fears that Slavery would soon be spreadt to their state's, unless it were to be confined to the South. And the South likewise resolved to further its push for expansion of slavery (lest the concentration increase, posing the risk of a Haiti redux).  It caused a recession and pushed the country towards war.

Violate th constitution, overthrow years of precedent to reduce people to the legal equivalent of animals, and expect that to preserve the union and forever resolve the issue. Yea, he deserves to be the worst.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2016, 11:08:18 AM »

Buchanan.

It was not just that he was President at the time the union broke up. It is that he did nothing to reverse the crisis and passively allowed it to get worse by not holding his people accountable. For one thing, his Secretary of War purposely redirected military hardware to the South to ensure it would fall into Confederate hands once the South seceded.

He had one big magic bullet, that turned out to be dagger into the heart of the union. The Dred Scott case, he thought that the weight of respect for the court would suppress the dissent and "forever resolve the issue". So he violated the separation of powers and actively collaborated with the Chief Justice to produce the worst rulling in the history of the Supreme Court, damaging its long term reputation.

And it produced exactly the opposite, solidifying the North around the fears that Slavery would soon be spreadt to their state's, unless it were to be confined to the South. And the South likewise resolved to further its push for expansion of slavery (lest the concentration increase, posing the risk of a Haiti redux).  It caused a recession and pushed the country towards war.

Violate th constitution, overthrow years of precedent to reduce people to the legal equivalent of animals, and expect that to preserve the union and forever resolve the issue. Yea, he deserves to be the worst.

This.  I don't think it's close.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2016, 11:12:44 AM »

I don't think any President has a greater contrast between First and Second terms than Wilson.
[/quote

First and second term McKinley? He was practically a corpse from mid-1901 to 1905!
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2016, 12:08:04 PM »

Wilson was pretty good.  Started the Federal Reserve.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »

Polk literally went to war to expand slavery, so I'll have to go with him.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2016, 01:22:08 PM »

Wilson was pretty good.  Started the Federal Reserve.

The Federal Reserve has been a net good after 1945...but it kind of started the Great Depression which gave us Hitler and Japan going whack and just lots of bad stuff.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2016, 01:35:14 PM »

Was there really anything Buchanan could have done to save the Union though?

For me, it has to be Bush 43, he got us into a war there was no point in fighting, the economy almost completely collapsed during his presidency thanks in part mostly to his policies which ultimately were disasters (Medicare Part D, No Child Left Behind, etc.

My second would have to be Hoover.

SO I should be a Democrat because I can't stand Bush? Lol, ok, I hate Obama as equally as I do Bush for the same mistakes that Bush made, if Bush never wrongly attacked Iraq we wouldn't be having an ISIS problem now would we?

No, you can hate Bush or whatever, but to say he is worse then people like Buchanan or Nixon is ridiculous.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2016, 01:37:53 PM »

Fillmore or Pierce.

Truman already mentioned everything wrong with Pierce, but would it ever have gone to him if Fillmore had just followed Taylor? The Compromise of 1850 was the wreck of a decision that enabled the rest.

@Sunrise: Buchanan yes, Nixon no since Nixon at least went to China, setup the EPA, and aimed for a healthcare plan more ambitious than Obama...Bush bungled everything.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2016, 01:46:15 PM »

Fillmore or Pierce.

Truman already mentioned everything wrong with Pierce, but would it ever have gone to him if Fillmore had just followed Taylor? The Compromise of 1850 was the wreck of a decision that enabled the rest.

@Sunrise: Buchanan yes, Nixon no since Nixon at least went to China, setup the EPA, and aimed for a healthcare plan more ambitious than Obama...Bush bungled everything.

I think it's pretty non-debatable that Bush's work with AIDs in Africa was very admirable.
ScottieF

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2016, 02:26:57 PM »

Andrew Johnson.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2016, 02:30:12 PM »

I don't think it's fair to criticize these people. They were all trying really hard! How would you like to be attacked like this?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 02:52:25 PM »

For me, it has to be Bush 43, he got us into a war there was no point in fighting, the economy almost completely collapsed during his presidency thanks in part mostly to his policies which ultimately were disasters (Medicare Part D, No Child Left Behind, etc.

SO I should be a Democrat because I can't stand Bush? Lol, ok, I hate Obama as equally as I do Bush for the same mistakes that Bush made, if Bush never wrongly attacked Iraq we wouldn't be having an ISIS problem now would we?

No, you can hate Bush or whatever, but to say he is worse then people like Buchanan or Nixon is ridiculous.

I don't know. Unlike Bush Nixon managed to accomplish some meaningful things.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 03:02:53 PM »

Nixon was better then Bush Jr, I mean Nixon opened up relations with China which was a huge blow to the Soviets, Saved Isreal doing the 1973 war, got us out of Vietnam.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2016, 06:27:49 PM »

Tyler was a traitor who betrayed the country and fought for slavers. I include their careers outside of the presidency as well

Using that logic then Washington and Jefferson were traitors who betrayed their country and fought for slavers.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2016, 07:58:18 PM »

I mean, Johnson and Nixon came pretty close to managing the closest thing we've had to a repeat...
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2016, 09:52:02 PM »

More than half of them were particularly atrocious in regards to slavery collaboration, pushing for war, or dissipating democracy to preserve the position of those in power.

Buchanan's work tops my list, but his competition isn't far behind.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies