Bernie Sanders dismisses Clinton lead: ‘A lot of that came from the South’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:03:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bernie Sanders dismisses Clinton lead: ‘A lot of that came from the South’
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders dismisses Clinton lead: ‘A lot of that came from the South’  (Read 4988 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 01:15:10 PM »

He seems to be as silly as he supporters when it comes to thinking that Clinton's lead doesn't matter because of where it came from. Those delegates are going to count no matter what, so it's pointless to even try and argue about regional differences.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 01:32:02 PM »

I may not be that knowledgeable about American politics but it seems to me that being stronger and winning at "base" locations is more important than winning "no play" areas in internal political processes.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 01:34:30 PM »

I may not be that knowledgeable about American politics but it seems to me that being stronger and winning at "base" locations is more important than winning "no play" areas in internal political processes.

The Democratic base lives in the South, though. The Democratic base is not white liberals in Washington or Massachusetts, it is black voters in the South.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »

In 2008 Obama won largely due to states that were "no play" in the general election, especially the Deep South and western (non coastal) states.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2016, 01:38:54 PM »

The Democratic base lives in the South, though. The Democratic base is not white liberals in Washington or Massachusetts, it is black voters in the South.
They don't seem to be winning the Dems elections. it's North-east\midwest\west coast states that do
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2016, 01:40:06 PM »

They don't seem to be winning the Dems elections. it's North-east\midwest\west coast states that do

Well, the Black vote can be crucial in key swing states, but in the south it's pretty much limited to Virginia or North Carolina. There's no way it can make a difference in Alabama or Mississippi. And Georgia is still Democrats' fool gold.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2016, 01:42:52 PM »

They don't seem to be winning the Dems elections.

It just so happens the Republican base - white voters in the South - are located there as well. A voter base isn't a group of voters in a region you consistently win. It's a group of reliable voters that will stick with the party no matter what. Black voters in the South stick with the Democratic party through everything, more than any other voting bloc in the country. They showed their power to influence the party more than ever this year through the amount of votes and delegates they alone awarded Clinton.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 01:52:25 PM »

So, I guess dismissing the South means that Sanders will concede to the Republicans states like Virginia, Florida and North Carolina and focus more to states where he is strong like Alaska, Utah and Oklahoma.
Sounds like a winner.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2016, 02:06:15 PM »

So, I guess dismissing the South means that Sanders will concede to the Republicans states like Virginia, Florida and North Carolina and focus more to states where he is strong like Alaska, Utah and Oklahoma.
Sounds like a winner.

We've already noticed your memory is incredibly short, but you still should be able to remember Hillary's 2008 campaign talking point "we've won important states".
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2016, 03:00:44 PM »

1) Thank you, mods!

2) The implication that garnering votes in the deep south is largely unimportant to the Democratic candidate's chance of winning in the general election because those areas never have a chance of going democratic in the GE is NOT racist... it's TRUE, Lyndon, you dumb hack!

3) OTOH, Bernie ignores that he lost not only the solid south but also the key tossup states of NV, OH, NC, FL, IA, VA.  Of the key tossup states, Bernie has only won WI, NH, CO.

4) The fact that southern dems don't matter in the GE is an undemocratic travesty.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2016, 03:28:29 PM »

Lyndon, why are you such a Clinton hack to the degree that everything you post is like this (I'm not saying our people on this website don't go a little overboard too)? Like you can support someone, but you're not even living in the United States, you're in Greece!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »

"A lot of that came from the South" as in... the south is done voting.  So he has the ability to make up for lost votes.

My call for Landslide Lyndon to be banned from creating threads on this board stands.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2016, 03:45:41 PM »

Please, spare me the faux outrage. As I mentioned if you watched the social media today a majority of Democrats and many Republicans took Sanders' comments as a slight towards African-American voters. Are they all Bernie-haters?
And this isn't the first time he and his campaign had made disparaging comments of that kind. They called southern Democrats "Confederates" for crying out loud.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »

Please, spare me the faux outrage. As I mentioned if you watched the social media today a majority of Democrats and many Republicans took Sanders' comments as a slight towards African-American voters. Are they all Bernie-haters?
And this isn't the first time he and his campaign had made disparaging comments of that kind. They called southern Democrats "Confederates" for crying out loud.
Please don't ever defend your position with "BUT THE PEOPLE ON SOCIAL MEDIA SAID" again.

kthx
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »

It'll be really tough for Sanders to make up votes when the three upcoming big states, NY, PA and MD, are all in the Clinton column. And then after that there's a whole month of nothing until June 7, in which Clinton is favored in NJ and CA. Then it's over.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »

Please don't ever defend your position with "BUT THE PEOPLE ON SOCIAL MEDIA SAID" again.

kthx

I may start taking your advice seriously when you start showing the same sensitivity when it comes to Berniebot trolls like Shadows.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2016, 04:27:08 PM »

kthx

I may start taking your advice seriously when you start showing the same sensitivity when it comes to Berniebot trolls like Shadows.

Two hacks don't make one right.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »

kthx

Shadows isn't just a hack. Actually he is so offensive and offensively stupid that I suspect he might be the sock of a Clinton supporter who wants to make Berniebots look even worse.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2016, 04:33:45 PM »

I won't call it a dog whistle but I would call it a flip-flop because Bernie in 2013 castigated the Dems for not running a 50 state strategy. Making sour-grapes comments about the South just proves that he was full of s*** when it came to criticizing Dems about not running stronger in the South. Running like a virtually non-viable candidate in the South really got under his skin in my opinion.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2016, 04:35:39 PM »

kthx

Shadows isn't just a hack. Actually he is so offensive and offensively stupid that I suspect he might be the sock of a Clinton supporter who wants to make Berniebots look even worse.

And you're extremely offensive to our brain cells.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 04:38:49 PM »

I won't call it a dog whistle but I would call it a flip-flop because Bernie in 2013 castigated the Dems for not running a 50 state strategy. Making sour-grapes comments about the South just proves that he was full of s*** when it came to criticizing Dems about not running stronger in the South. Running like a virtually non-viable candidate in the South really got under his skin in my opinion.

I think it just shows that advocating for a 50 state strategy is easy on paper, but tough in execution.
psychprofessor

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »

Sanders gets away with a lot of language that Clinton would never be able to use. Imagine if Clinton had dismissed Obama's wins in the "south." The pundits would have been all over the dog whistles and coded language. Why doesn't anyone ever call Sanders out on this? Further, how can you start a political revolution when you basically dismiss broad swaths of the country and key voting blocks for the Democrats?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2016, 04:59:22 PM »

It is hard to deny that primary calendar so far favored Hillary. Nothing sinister about it, just a matter of schedule.

He and his campaign have repeated the same talking point waaaaaay too many times to be unintentional.
It's intentional and it's offensive for any Democrat to say to black voters that their votes count less than those of people in Idaho and Kansas.

True, and I'm not intending to defend that. However, there are plenty of Hillary supporters hinting that caucus states "doesn't" or "shouldn't matter". We may not like the mechanism of caucuses but how these people votes matters as much as the Southern vote. Sure, Idaho won't vote Democratic, so won't South Carolina, but it's not GE we're talking about.

Wrong username on that quote, it was Lyndon's Sad. But in regards to your statement, both campaigns need to stop acting like certain states are worth less or do not matter, because it's insulting to the people that live in those regions. On top of that, I don't even get the logic behind the thought that "Clinton's win in those states doesn't matter because we never win them in general elections!". Like, what difference does that make? Are they not Democrats too? As I said, it's insulting.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2016, 05:04:13 PM »

It is hard to deny that primary calendar so far favored Hillary. Nothing sinister about it, just a matter of schedule.

He and his campaign have repeated the same talking point waaaaaay too many times to be unintentional.
It's intentional and it's offensive for any Democrat to say to black voters that their votes count less than those of people in Idaho and Kansas.

True, and I'm not intending to defend that. However, there are plenty of Hillary supporters hinting that caucus states "doesn't" or "shouldn't matter". We may not like the mechanism of caucuses but how these people votes matters as much as the Southern vote. Sure, Idaho won't vote Democratic, so won't South Carolina, but it's not GE we're talking about.

Wrong username on that quote, it was Lyndon's Sad. But in regards to your statement, both campaigns need to stop acting like certain states are worth less or do not matter, because it's insulting to the people that live in those regions. On top of that, I don't even get the logic behind the thought that "Clinton's win in those states doesn't matter because we never win them in general elections!". Like, what difference does that make? Are they not Democrats too? As I said, it's insulting.

Sorry for misquoting you.

Of course I agree it is insulting. As stated, I'm not intending to defend that.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2016, 05:22:51 PM »

Sanders gets away with a lot of language that Clinton would never be able to use. Imagine if Clinton had dismissed Obama's wins in the "south." The pundits would have been all over the dog whistles and coded language. Why doesn't anyone ever call Sanders out on this? Further, how can you start a political revolution when you basically dismiss broad swaths of the country and key voting blocks for the Democrats?

Yeah, if I was a Southern Democrat and I heard Bernie talking like that I would withhold my vote from him in a general election. I think many Southern Democrats are mulling this over should Bernie pull off the miracle and win the nomination. In a Bernie-GOP hypothetical matchup the Republicans will use this as a sledgehammer in the South and it'll stop him from winning any Southern state, narrowing his path to the WH
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies