Bernie Sanders dismisses Clinton lead: ‘A lot of that came from the South’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:04:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bernie Sanders dismisses Clinton lead: ‘A lot of that came from the South’
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders dismisses Clinton lead: ‘A lot of that came from the South’  (Read 4954 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2016, 11:35:14 AM »
« edited: April 10, 2016, 01:01:15 PM by Likely Voter »

If TRUMP said the things Sanders has repeatedly said then he would've been labeled a racist.
Why not ol' Bernie?

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/bernie-sanders-dismisses-clinton-lead-a-lot-of-that-came-from-the-south/

Appearing on ABC’s This Week, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders — who has run off an impressive string of primary victories — dismissed actual vote totals that show former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton with a commanding lead, saying those votes “came from the South.”

Host George Stephanopoulos noted Clinton’s lead in delegates and asked the senator if he would take his fight for the nomination to the floor of the convention.

“Well, here’s what I think,” Sanders replied. “I think at the end of the day, what Democrats all over this country want to make sure is that somebody like a Donald Trump or a Ted Cruz does not end up in the White House. And I think what more and more Democrats are seeing is that Bernie Sanders is the stronger candidate.”

“She’s getting more votes,” the host pressed.

“Well, she is getting more votes. A lot of that came from the South,” Sanders parried.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 11:36:27 AM »

Another misleading title.

Get a life.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 11:37:50 AM »

Jesus, will we ever get decent posts here?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »

So he's basically saying that Hillary's lead so far is largely because of the South... SHOCKING!
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 11:41:35 AM »

I honestly can't tell what his point was there.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 11:43:03 AM »

He may not have done it on purpose, but of course "The South" is a racial dogwhistle when discussing Democratic primaries. What else differentiates Southern voters from non-Southern ones?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 11:46:31 AM »

He may not have done it on purpose, but of course "The South" is a racial dogwhistle when discussing Democratic primaries. What else differentiates Southern voters from non-Southern ones?

He and his campaign have repeated the same talking point waaaaaay too many times to be unintentional.
It's intentional and it's offensive for any Democrat to say to black voters that their votes count less than those of people in Idaho and Kansas.
swf541

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 11:53:55 AM »

He and his campaign have repeated the same talking point waaaaaay too many times to be unintentional.
It's intentional and it's offensive for any Democrat to say to black voters that their votes count less than those of people in Idaho and Kansas.

So first off your OP is completely misleading.  The "South" is more conservative for Dems, the whites and the blacks are both more conservative, the South is largely a Republican dominated area these days, its equivalent to a Republican saying candidate x is only winning due to the Dem state republicans being less conservative.

Write some constructive posts for a change this stuff from both sides is getting pretty old
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 11:58:21 AM »

So first off your OP is completely misleading.  The "South" is more conservative for Dems, the whites and the blacks are both more conservative, the South is largely a Republican dominated area these days, its equivalent to a Republican saying candidate x is only winning due to the Dem state republicans being less conservative.

Sanders lost the "Very Liberal" vote 75-25 in Alabama, 60-40 in Texas and 65-35 in Georgia.
This has nothing to do with ideology.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 12:06:28 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2016, 01:20:57 PM by Mallow »

I honestly can't tell what his point was there.

Really? It seems pretty obvious to me. Sanders was suggesting that, since the south is already a "lost cause," Democratic support in that region may be worth less.

Of course, whether or not Sanders is actually stronger/receiving more votes in "competitive" states is not clear, so his point is pretty tenuous, but he's obviously not making a racial statement as the thread poster is implying (even though I'm certain the thread poster knows better, and is just trolling).

EDIT: I see that the thread poster has since changed the title of the thread so that the only reference to racism/the idea that Bernie "hates blacks" (as was in the original title) is a brief line in the original post (which has also been edited).
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 12:07:14 PM »

This clown apparently considers OH, AZ, IL & MA "the south". It's also amusing how his campaign has brushed off Clinton as winning only "red" states, when Hillary has won (by double digits, no less) OH, FL, VA, NC, IA & NV, probably the most important swing states. I mean, if the nominee is in trouble in MI & WI, they aren't going to win anyway.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 12:08:30 PM »

Stop with the bogus titles.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 12:10:01 PM »

I can't tell you how many times now I've heard from people I know irl that Clinton's lead is "irrelevant" because her major wins come from the "South" or "states Democrats never win in a GE". They are delegitimizing Southerners just because they didn't vote for Sanders, and I'm sure that if they had, his campaign/supporters would be celebrating them instead.

Definitely not saying he is racist (I don't think that), but this little thing he started has got so many of his supporters acting like the South is irrelevant when it's highly relevant, being a major portion of the country they live in.

Sanders would be the president of all of America, not just the states that voted for him in the primary.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »

Roll Eyes
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 12:13:20 PM »

So, are we just randomly making up thread titles here now?

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 12:19:08 PM »

This clown apparently considers OH, AZ, IL & MA "the south". It's also amusing how his campaign has brushed off Clinton as winning only "red" states, when Hillary has won (by double digits, no less) OH, FL, VA, NC, IA & NV, probably the most important swing states. I mean, if the nominee is in trouble in MI & WI, they aren't going to win anyway.

Pretty Idiotic comment from you - Clinton won IL & MA by 1-2% barely. As Sanders said Clinton's huge delegate lead is due to her big victories in South.

If you are literate & not mentally challenged which you don't seem to be, you will read the questions & realize when Sanders was asked about Clinton's margin of delegates & votes showing her electable, she said those margins came due to the deep South which will go to the GOP - This is almost a fact.

This forum is getting filled with paid interns of the Clinton camp who are throwing dirt around! -  Mods have to take action to save this forum!
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 12:20:43 PM »

Pretty Idiotic comment from you - Clinton won IL & MA by 1-2% barely. As Sanders said Clinton's huge delegate lead is due to her big victories in South.

If you are literate & not mentally challenged which you don't seem to be, you will read the questions & realize when Sanders was asked about Clinton's margin of delegates & votes showing her electable, she said those margins came due to the deep South which will go to the GOP - This is almost a fact.

This forum is getting filled with paid interns of the Clinton camp who are throwing dirt around! -  Mods have to take action to save this forum!

The implication is that Clinton's main support is from the south, she has won primaries just as often as he has outside of the region.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 12:24:46 PM »

The implication is that Clinton's main support is from the south, she has won primaries just as often as he has outside of the region.

I am just quoting the Interview -

Host George Stephanopoulos noted Clinton’s lead in delegates and asked the senator if he would take his fight for the nomination to the floor of the convention.

“Well, here’s what I think,” Sanders replied. “I think at the end of the day, what Democrats all over this country want to make sure is that somebody like a Donald Trump or a Ted Cruz does not end up in the White House. And I think what more and more Democrats are seeing is that Bernie Sanders is the stronger candidate.”

“She’s getting more votes,” the host pressed.

“Well, she is getting more votes. A lot of that came from the South,” Sanders parried.

If you are not mentally challenged/literate - This is self-explanatory

Sanders - I am more electable
Host - She got more votes
Sanders - A lot of those "more votes" came from the South (which will go to the GOP).

@ Mods - This is a forum for normal people - Not for paid interns of campaign to lie, throw dirt &create dis-harmony - You must take actions
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 12:27:45 PM »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »

Neither Clinton nor Sanders hate Black people. Can we just end this BS?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 12:37:44 PM »

Yeah, Sanders was just saying the votes in the future will be less black on average than in the past, so he thinks he will do better overall going going forward, than in the past. Sanders is still going to end up short, absent Hillary's legal troubles escalating. The end.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 12:47:36 PM »

Neither Clinton nor Sanders hate Black people. Can we just end this BS?

Who said he hates them? (though some of his supporters are, judging by their posts)
The point is he is trivializing their votes and that's why he is getting blasted at the social media.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 12:50:48 PM »

I'm aware that I'm liquefying the horse, but what a sh**tty thread
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »

Sanders - A lot of those "more votes" came from the South (which will go to the GOP).

That's not true. The Southern votes Clinton got in the South are among the most reliable Democratic votes the party can count on (unless he said the states will go GOP, in which case, it doesn't matter because those primaries were Democratic primaries).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 01:11:09 PM »

It is hard to deny that primary calendar so far favored Hillary. Nothing sinister about it, just a matter of schedule.

True, and I'm not intending to defend that. However, there are plenty of Hillary supporters hinting that caucus states "doesn't" or "shouldn't matter". We may not like the mechanism of caucuses but how these people votes matters as much as the Southern vote. Sure, Idaho won't vote Democratic, so won't South Carolina, but it's not GE we're talking about.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies