Bernie Sanders dismisses Clinton lead: ‘A lot of that came from the South’ (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:23:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bernie Sanders dismisses Clinton lead: ‘A lot of that came from the South’ (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders dismisses Clinton lead: ‘A lot of that came from the South’  (Read 5014 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« on: April 10, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »

Sanders - A lot of those "more votes" came from the South (which will go to the GOP).

That's not true. The Southern votes Clinton got in the South are among the most reliable Democratic votes the party can count on (unless he said the states will go GOP, in which case, it doesn't matter because those primaries were Democratic primaries).
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 01:34:30 PM »

I may not be that knowledgeable about American politics but it seems to me that being stronger and winning at "base" locations is more important than winning "no play" areas in internal political processes.

The Democratic base lives in the South, though. The Democratic base is not white liberals in Washington or Massachusetts, it is black voters in the South.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 01:42:52 PM »

I may not be that knowledgeable about American politics but it seems to me that being stronger and winning at "base" locations is more important than winning "no play" areas in internal political processes.

The Democratic base lives in the South, though. The Democratic base is not white liberals in Washington or Massachusetts, it is black voters in the South.
They don't seem to be winning the Dems elections.

It just so happens the Republican base - white voters in the South - are located there as well. A voter base isn't a group of voters in a region you consistently win. It's a group of reliable voters that will stick with the party no matter what. Black voters in the South stick with the Democratic party through everything, more than any other voting bloc in the country. They showed their power to influence the party more than ever this year through the amount of votes and delegates they alone awarded Clinton.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »

It'll be really tough for Sanders to make up votes when the three upcoming big states, NY, PA and MD, are all in the Clinton column. And then after that there's a whole month of nothing until June 7, in which Clinton is favored in NJ and CA. Then it's over.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 04:38:49 PM »

I won't call it a dog whistle but I would call it a flip-flop because Bernie in 2013 castigated the Dems for not running a 50 state strategy. Making sour-grapes comments about the South just proves that he was full of s*** when it came to criticizing Dems about not running stronger in the South. Running like a virtually non-viable candidate in the South really got under his skin in my opinion.

I think it just shows that advocating for a 50 state strategy is easy on paper, but tough in execution.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies