Bernie Sanders dismisses Clinton lead: ‘A lot of that came from the South’ (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:09:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bernie Sanders dismisses Clinton lead: ‘A lot of that came from the South’ (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders dismisses Clinton lead: ‘A lot of that came from the South’  (Read 4979 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« on: April 10, 2016, 11:35:14 AM »
« edited: April 10, 2016, 01:01:15 PM by Likely Voter »

If TRUMP said the things Sanders has repeatedly said then he would've been labeled a racist.
Why not ol' Bernie?

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/bernie-sanders-dismisses-clinton-lead-a-lot-of-that-came-from-the-south/

Appearing on ABC’s This Week, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders — who has run off an impressive string of primary victories — dismissed actual vote totals that show former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton with a commanding lead, saying those votes “came from the South.”

Host George Stephanopoulos noted Clinton’s lead in delegates and asked the senator if he would take his fight for the nomination to the floor of the convention.

“Well, here’s what I think,” Sanders replied. “I think at the end of the day, what Democrats all over this country want to make sure is that somebody like a Donald Trump or a Ted Cruz does not end up in the White House. And I think what more and more Democrats are seeing is that Bernie Sanders is the stronger candidate.”

“She’s getting more votes,” the host pressed.

“Well, she is getting more votes. A lot of that came from the South,” Sanders parried.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 11:46:31 AM »

He may not have done it on purpose, but of course "The South" is a racial dogwhistle when discussing Democratic primaries. What else differentiates Southern voters from non-Southern ones?

He and his campaign have repeated the same talking point waaaaaay too many times to be unintentional.
It's intentional and it's offensive for any Democrat to say to black voters that their votes count less than those of people in Idaho and Kansas.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 11:58:21 AM »

So first off your OP is completely misleading.  The "South" is more conservative for Dems, the whites and the blacks are both more conservative, the South is largely a Republican dominated area these days, its equivalent to a Republican saying candidate x is only winning due to the Dem state republicans being less conservative.

Sanders lost the "Very Liberal" vote 75-25 in Alabama, 60-40 in Texas and 65-35 in Georgia.
This has nothing to do with ideology.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 12:47:36 PM »

Neither Clinton nor Sanders hate Black people. Can we just end this BS?

Who said he hates them? (though some of his supporters are, judging by their posts)
The point is he is trivializing their votes and that's why he is getting blasted at the social media.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 01:52:25 PM »

So, I guess dismissing the South means that Sanders will concede to the Republicans states like Virginia, Florida and North Carolina and focus more to states where he is strong like Alaska, Utah and Oklahoma.
Sounds like a winner.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 03:45:41 PM »

Please, spare me the faux outrage. As I mentioned if you watched the social media today a majority of Democrats and many Republicans took Sanders' comments as a slight towards African-American voters. Are they all Bernie-haters?
And this isn't the first time he and his campaign had made disparaging comments of that kind. They called southern Democrats "Confederates" for crying out loud.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »

Please, spare me the faux outrage. As I mentioned if you watched the social media today a majority of Democrats and many Republicans took Sanders' comments as a slight towards African-American voters. Are they all Bernie-haters?
And this isn't the first time he and his campaign had made disparaging comments of that kind. They called southern Democrats "Confederates" for crying out loud.
Please don't ever defend your position with "BUT THE PEOPLE ON SOCIAL MEDIA SAID" again.

kthx

I may start taking your advice seriously when you start showing the same sensitivity when it comes to Berniebot trolls like Shadows.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »

Please don't ever defend your position with "BUT THE PEOPLE ON SOCIAL MEDIA SAID" again.

kthx

I may start taking your advice seriously when you start showing the same sensitivity when it comes to Berniebot trolls like Shadows.

Two hacks don't make one right.

Shadows isn't just a hack. Actually he is so offensive and offensively stupid that I suspect he might be the sock of a Clinton supporter who wants to make Berniebots look even worse.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 12:43:43 AM »

I don't particularly see this as racist as much as an attempt to paint her as a regional candidate or along the lines of implying her best states being behind her--aside from Iowa and Missouri which are statistical ties delegate-wise and don't make a difference for either candidate, she's really only won five states outside the South (and Arizona can arguably condidered part of the South at this point as well).

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 12:49:42 AM »

I look forward to the "New York is kinda Southern tbh" posts in a week.

Didn't you learn that Massachusetts was part of the Confederacy too?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies