NDP Leadership Convention 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:25:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  NDP Leadership Convention 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 34
Author Topic: NDP Leadership Convention 2017  (Read 73453 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2016, 01:15:30 PM »

KOK: Didn't say he'd win.

Dewar doesn't sound interested.

Jen Gerson thinks there are decent odds of an ANDP UDI, though that would be messy legally and involves serious money.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2016, 01:16:43 PM »

Ruth Ellen Brosseau Purple heart Purple heart Wink
Krago
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2016, 01:42:49 PM »

Here's another dumb question: If the PKP-led Pequistes are spinning their wheels, while the Quebec Liberals are sinking further into a mire of corruption, is there room for a Mulcair-led NPDQ to become a force in Quebec provincial politics?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2016, 01:43:59 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2016, 01:51:04 PM by RogueBeaver »

No.

Notley says she'll remain associated with the federal party.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2016, 02:31:42 PM by MaxQue »

Learning wouldn't be that difficult, there is a significant number of Francophones in his riding and is right next to Québec.

Wikipedia says he lives in Cobalt, which is very English-speaking, but a 20 minute ride would lead him to Notre-Dame-du-Nord, Québec.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2016, 03:13:54 PM »

Why should we care about this? The NDP is still f@!king stupid; yes this saga and the concomitant implosion of state parties is hilarious, but it doesn't change anything because they've always been at the bottom of the pit.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2016, 03:21:22 PM »

Why should we care about this? The NDP is still f@!king stupid; yes this saga and the concomitant implosion of state parties is hilarious, but it doesn't change anything because they've always been at the bottom of the pit.

There are a lot of the NDP supporters on this board, so of course we're going to talk about it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »

Brian Topp isn't running either.
DL
Canada

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2016, 03:25:15 PM »

Learning wouldn't be that difficult, there is a significant number of Francophones in his riding and is right next to Québec.

Wikipedia says he lives in Cobalt, which is very English-speaking, but a 20 minute ride would lead him to Notre-Dame-du-Nord, Québec.

Angus has been an MP for a riding with a large francophone population for the last 12 years - and still hasn't managed to become at all fluent in French. If he couldnt do it in the past 12 years, its hard to imagine him suddenly becoming fluent in the next 18 months. Middle aged unilinguals do not sudden;y learn a second language perfectly at the drop of a hat. In fact it is close to impossible,
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2016, 03:39:54 PM »

I really doubt Cullen will run because he knows he is far too like Mulcair for the state the party is in now.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »

Caron not ruling out a run. Also, executive won't hold their first leadership meeting till May.
DL
Canada

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2016, 03:47:49 PM »

I really doubt Cullen will run because he knows he is far too like Mulcair for the state the party is in now.

I'm not sure what that means. Much of the objection to Mulcair was his personality, lack of ability to nber a team player and lack of charisma. Cullen would remedy that since he comes across as a genuinely nice guy and seems to work well with others.

12 years ago Alexa McDonough was pressured to quit ostensibly because she was flirting with Blairite "third way" social democracy. but in reality i think people just thought she was a bore. Jack Layton was even more centrist ideologically but no one cared because he had a pleasing personality  
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »

I'm not sure what that means. Much of the objection to Mulcair was his personality, lack of ability to nber a team player and lack of charisma. Cullen would remedy that since he comes across as a genuinely nice guy and seems to work well with others.

12 years ago Alexa McDonough was pressured to quit ostensibly because she was flirting with Blairite "third way" social democracy. but in reality i think people just thought she was a bore. Jack Layton was even more centrist ideologically but no one cared because he had a pleasing personality  

Jack certainly wasn't the centrist candidate in 2003 (I am sure you're aware of his reputation at Toronto city hall at the time)... he did move to centre the longer he was leader though.
DL
Canada

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2016, 04:06:57 PM »

Yes but Layton didnt win because of ideology. People liked his personality and the other people running for the leadership against him were seen as fuddy-duddies.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2016, 04:11:54 PM »

Jack certainly wasn't the centrist candidate in 2003 (I am sure you're aware of his reputation at Toronto city hall at the time)... he did move to centre the longer he was leader though.

Who was the centrist candidate?
Blaikie or Nystrom?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2016, 05:11:36 PM by King of Kensington »

The 2003 race was basically nonideological.  

Layton won because he was bilingual and media-savvy not because was to the left or right of Blaikie.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2016, 05:34:50 PM »

In my local news, the Abitibi-Témiscamingue MP, Christine Moore, is not closing the door on running in leadership race.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2016, 05:54:22 PM »

A lot in this CP story. Davies thinks Mulcair should leave sooner rather than later, Boulerice thinks he should stay as long as necessary. Dusseault undecided. Julian hasn't thought about a bid, Boulerice needs time to talk about it with family and colleagues. Party insiders suggest the race won't last longer than 18 months.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2016, 05:55:54 PM »

I wish Ruth Ellen Brosseau, noted badass, was old and established enough to run.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2016, 06:19:59 PM »

Mulcair thought he had strong support before the vote. Boulerice said he sensed erosion in recent weeks, but the numbers were still surprising.
DL
Canada

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2016, 07:06:54 PM »

A lot in this CP story. Davies thinks Mulcair should leave sooner rather than later, Boulerice thinks he should stay as long as necessary. Dusseault undecided. Julian hasn't thought about a bid, Boulerice needs time to talk about it with family and colleagues. Party insiders suggest the race won't last longer than 18 months.

Seems to me that Fall 2017 would be the perfect time for the NDP to pick a new leader. Let the Tory leadership race hog the attention in April may 2017, get the BC election of May 2017 out of the way and then Fall 2017 has no major electoral events anywhere...then Spring 2018 is the next Ontario election!
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2016, 07:11:20 PM »

I kind of wish Mulcair would run. We haven't had that kind of leadership convention in a long time and I think it would be entertaining.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2016, 07:16:53 PM »

I kind of wish Mulcair would run. We haven't had that kind of leadership convention in a long time and I think it would be entertaining.

Pulling a Dief would be quite psychodramatic, admittedly. Tongue
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2016, 07:18:26 PM »

Yeah, I think he should too. There is probably going to be someone who fills his role anyway, so why not have him anyway?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2016, 07:21:08 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2016, 07:23:33 PM by RogueBeaver »

Because John Diefenbaker tried that 50 years ago, and you had the pathetic spectacle of an incumbent leader and former PM being in 5th on the first ballot. More recently, Preston Manning and Stockwell Day got crushed when they ran to succeed themselves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies