NDP Leadership Convention 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:51:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  NDP Leadership Convention 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 34
Author Topic: NDP Leadership Convention 2017  (Read 73424 times)
adma
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »

Who in the NDP is as left as Corbyn and actually has a legitimate chance of winning?

Peter Kormos would have been.
adma
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2016, 07:49:33 PM »

Because John Diefenbaker tried that 50 years ago, and you had the pathetic spectacle of an incumbent leader and former PM being in 5th on the first ballot. More recently, Preston Manning and Stockwell Day got crushed when they ran to succeed themselves.

And don't forget Joe Clark in 1983.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2016, 10:08:11 PM »

I wish Ruth Ellen Brosseau, noted badass, was old and established enough to run.

She cried after the result of the leadership review.
In a local paper last week she said she is not closing the door on a leadership run one day but not in the short term.
DL
Canada

« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2016, 07:11:01 AM »

I kind of wish Mulcair would run. We haven't had that kind of leadership convention in a long time and I think it would be entertaining.

We just had it in Manitoba when selling era ran to succeed him self and (unfortunately) won.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2016, 08:34:02 AM »

Can Jagmeet Singh speak French? He would make a good leader... he'd be like the Barack Obama of Canada. There are enough racists in the country to keep him from leading the NDP to victory, but I think there are enough progressives that would fall in love with his candidacy, and might just be the right person to assure the party stays relevant. Also, might be key to winning immigrant votes.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2016, 08:38:10 AM »

I wish Ruth Ellen Brosseau, noted badass, was old and established enough to run.

Crying doesn't mean she's not a badass.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2016, 10:51:39 AM »

Further confirms that she's very human. Excellent. Endorsed.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2016, 11:16:33 AM »

Crying doesn't mean she's not a badass.

I used your quote as introduction to write about what I have read about her recently and the leadership question. My intention was not to debate or contradict your comment. Sorry for creating misunderstanding.
DL
Canada

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2016, 12:08:03 PM »

Can Jagmeet Singh speak French? He would make a good leader... he'd be like the Barack Obama of Canada. There are enough racists in the country to keep him from leading the NDP to victory, but I think there are enough progressives that would fall in love with his candidacy, and might just be the right person to assure the party stays relevant. Also, might be key to winning immigrant votes.

In answer to your question YES Jagmeet Singh used to live in Montreal and speaks beautiful French (as well as English and Punjabi)
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2016, 12:22:41 PM »

The ONDPs loss for sure if he were to run. He also represents a suburban riding in the 905 which is strategic if the NDP wants to win more then just urban core ridings in ON... He also can rival Trudeau on the "youth, looks and Charisma" side of things which the media eats up
DL
Canada

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2016, 12:50:35 PM »

Jagmeet would likely be a shoe in to succeed Andrea Horwath as ONDP leader after 2018 (or if a miracle happened and the ONDP won that election he would be a senior cabinet minister)...the only reason i could see for why he might want to go federal is that i hear he is personally much more interested in federal than provincial issues.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2016, 02:49:33 PM »

Jagmeet would likely be a shoe in to succeed Andrea Horwath as ONDP leader after 2018 (or if a miracle happened and the ONDP won that election he would be a senior cabinet minister)...the only reason i could see for why he might want to go federal is that i hear he is personally much more interested in federal than provincial issues.

Isn't he also the New Democrat that joined the idiotic protests against the changes to sex education?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2016, 03:14:38 PM »

Unfortunately, yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMGQZSecdFc

It's mostly in Panjabi so I can't understand what he's saying but he's speaking to an anti-sex ed group.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2016, 03:26:52 PM »

Isn't he also the New Democrat that joined the idiotic protests against the changes to sex education?

Oh, right. Well, he fits right into the religious left I guess, which is certainly an NDP faction. Sikhism is generally a progressive religion, but it's not perfect.

Well he did run federally first.

Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2016, 03:46:29 PM »

I wouldn't care much about Jagmeet's sex ed quirk myself, but the types of Liberals we'd need to win over to make gains would be aghast.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2016, 03:59:31 PM »

NDP leadership campaigns aren't typically very nasty; I doubt the issue will come up. And if the Liberals bring it up, it would reek of cultural insensitivity.
DL
Canada

« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2016, 04:08:04 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2016, 04:09:46 PM by DL »

Unfortunately, yes:

It's mostly in Panjabi so I can't understand what he's saying but he's speaking to an anti-sex ed group.

As I recall, all he said was that the government should have done more community consultations on the curriculum rather than imposing it from on high. He never actually said he was opposed to the substance of the sex ed reforms.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2016, 01:53:17 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2016, 09:07:01 AM by Adam T »

Unfortunately, yes:

As I recall, all he said was that the government should have done more community consultations on the curriculum rather than imposing it from on high. He never actually said he was opposed to the substance of the sex ed reforms.

The government did considerable consultations and the opponents of the reforms could never say what they opposed other basically 'sex is icky and we don't want our innocent children to learn about it.'

If Singh said that, then he's a liar and should not be considered for leader.

Also, when people say "the government didn't consult widely enough" or "we weren't consulted" it's really means "they didn't do what we wanted them to do."

So, either Jagmeet Singh is lying or he's pandering.  Not unheard of in a politician, but not leadership material either.
DL
Canada

« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2016, 09:40:51 AM »

When you are an opposition politician and the government of the day brings in a policy that is wildly unpopular in the riding you represent - but where you and your party are actually supportive of the substance of that policy - then the logical thing to do it is to attack the government for incompetently managing the issue and failing to bring stakeholders onside etc...
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2016, 09:59:26 AM »

When you are an opposition politician and the government of the day brings in a policy that is wildly unpopular in the riding you represent - but where you and your party are actually supportive of the substance of that policy - then the logical thing to do it is to attack the government for incompetently managing the issue and failing to bring stakeholders onside etc...

1.I don't know that it was wildly unpopular in his riding, just that the loudest voices were against it.

2.I can see your broader point, but I don't think that necessary includes him giving speeches in front of those loud voices.  He could have spoken against it in the legislature without being seen to endorse the opponents, and, therefore, pandering to them.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2016, 10:02:06 AM »

Jagmeet was in a "no real win" situation and I think he handled it well; he did not come out against something he/the party supports and was able to push the concerns of his constituents. He did get some push back from some members of the party I saw but nothing that would harm him to any extent.

... for some reason I just saw Darrell Dexter's name floated/mentioned as possibility? hmmm not sure on that one but he does have government experience...

BTW here is how the government consulted on the changes at the time:

"One parent in each publicly funded school in the province, usually a parent council chair, was provided a survey late last year. While the survey asked questions about educational priorities and what sources of information are trusted in forming curriculum, it did not ask parents specifically what they feel should be included in the sexual education curriculum or use many of the specific terms and concepts that have upset some parents.
The government says the survey was distributed to some 4,000 individual parents and that the Ministry of Education also consulted widely with various parent groups. The government also says the new curriculum has been designed by experts in order to equip students for the realities of modern society" http://www.cp24.com/news/what-you-need-to-know-about-ontario-s-new-sexual-education-curriculum-1.2369847
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2016, 10:29:44 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2016, 11:04:56 AM by Adam T »

Jagmeet was in a "no real win" situation and I think he handled it well; he did not come out against something he/the party supports and was able to push the concerns of his constituents. He did get some push back from some members of the party I saw but nothing that would harm him to any extent.

... for some reason I just saw Darrell Dexter's name floated/mentioned as possibility? hmmm not sure on that one but he does have government experience...

"One parent in each publicly funded school in the province, usually a parent council chair, was provided a survey late last year. While the survey asked questions about educational priorities and what sources of information are trusted in forming curriculum, it did not ask parents specifically what they feel should be included in the sexual education curriculum or use many of the specific terms and concepts that have upset some parents.
The government says the survey was distributed to some 4,000 individual parents and that the Ministry of Education also consulted widely with various parent groups. The government also says the new curriculum has been designed by experts in order to equip students for the realities of modern society" http://www.cp24.com/news/what-you-need-to-know-about-ontario-s-new-sexual-education-curriculum-1.2369847

I think that is pretty broad consultations.  Again, the only people who complained their wasn't enough consultations were the ones who were really saying 'they didn't do what we wanted.'

I think the NDP will want a candidate from the Atlantic region, but not Dexter.   If Maureen MacDonald gets back to being fully healthy, she could be a strong candidate.  Certainly no worse than any other provincial politician, like Jagmeet Singh.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2016, 11:14:10 AM »

I think that is pretty broad consultations.  Again, the only people who complained their wasn't enough consultations were the ones who were really saying 'they didn't do what we wanted.'

I think the NDP will want a candidate from the Atlantic region, but not Dexter.   If Maureen MacDonald gets back to being fully healthy, she could be a strong candidate.  Certainly no worse than any other provincial politician, like Jagmeet Singh.

If an Atlantic candidate steps forward, I think Megan Leslie would have the most appeal/best shot to members.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2016, 11:49:16 AM »

If Megan Leslie is out, than perhaps Yvon Godin as an Atlantic candidate?

Dexter would be a disaster. He is the Bob Rae of Nova Scotia.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2016, 12:00:56 PM »

If Megan Leslie is out, than perhaps Yvon Godin as an Atlantic candidate?

Dexter would be a disaster. He is the Bob Rae of Nova Scotia.

Maybe, but he retired last year so I doubt he'd come back. Stoffer has already said no, Harris or Chisholm?, maybe. I think the problem with Harris and Chisholm is their lack of French, Chisholm admitted it last time and bowed out.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies