NDP Leadership Convention 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:57:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  NDP Leadership Convention 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 34
Author Topic: NDP Leadership Convention 2017  (Read 72861 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: November 21, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »

Angus will announce soon.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #301 on: November 22, 2016, 06:27:24 AM »

Our version of a Bernie candidate.  Even though he's been there for a long time, he still comes off as anti-establishment left (being a former member of a punk band).  Even in the sense that the one issue where he may not have been as 'progressive' is on gun control (similar to Sanders).  Looking forward to the race!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #302 on: November 22, 2016, 11:15:06 AM »

Well, if he did work on his French, why not?
DL
Canada

« Reply #303 on: November 22, 2016, 11:23:16 AM »

I saw youtube clip of Charlie Angus speaking French and it was painful...his accent was so awful that listening to him was like listening to fingernails scratching a blackboard...sorry but this will not cut it. Its a pity because he has a lot to offer otherwise.

Charlie Angus = GONG
toaster
Canada

« Reply #304 on: November 22, 2016, 04:23:13 PM »

I saw youtube clip of Charlie Angus speaking French and it was painful...his accent was so awful that listening to him was like listening to fingernails scratching a blackboard...sorry but this will not cut it. Its a pity because he has a lot to offer otherwise.

Charlie Angus = GONG
He represents a Francophone riding in Ontario, and they didn't seem to have an issue with it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #305 on: November 22, 2016, 04:35:07 PM »

Charlie Angus = GONG
He represents a Francophone riding in Ontario, and they didn't seem to have an issue with it.

I mean, if you can call a 30% French riding "Francophone".
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #306 on: November 22, 2016, 08:35:07 PM »

Angus will have a lot of appeal to the traditional base - as he can resonate with blue collar workers in the hinterland as well as urban progressives.

At this point, a 2008-type showing would be an accomplishment.

But yeah, his poor French isn't going to cut it.
DL
Canada

« Reply #307 on: November 23, 2016, 07:42:24 AM »

Charlie Angus = GONG

Franco-ontarians almost all speak English fluently since they live and work in an English speaking province. They tend to regard french ability among their politicians as a "nice to have" not a "have to have". Voters in Quebec are much much more demanding
toaster
Canada

« Reply #308 on: November 23, 2016, 09:07:33 AM »

Charlie Angus = GONG

It's actually about 44% Francophone, and I was confusing it with the provincial Timmins - James Bay, which includes Kap and Hearst.  That riding is over 50% francophone.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #309 on: November 23, 2016, 09:57:11 AM »

Charlie Angus = GONG

It's actually about 44% Francophone, and I was confusing it with the provincial Timmins - James Bay, which includes Kap and Hearst.  That riding is over 50% francophone.

Where are you getting that information?

The riding is actually 32% French (30% was a back of the envelope calculation) if you do the math: http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=FED2013&Code1=35107&Geo2=PR&Code2=01&Data=Count&SearchText=Timmins&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=All&Custom=&TABID=1

toaster
Canada

« Reply #310 on: November 24, 2016, 06:43:19 PM »

Charlie Angus = GONG

It's actually about 44% Francophone, and I was confusing it with the provincial Timmins - James Bay, which includes Kap and Hearst.  That riding is over 50% francophone.

The riding is actually 32% French (30% was a back of the envelope calculation) if you do the math: http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=FED2013&Code1=35107&Geo2=PR&Code2=01&Data=Count&SearchText=Timmins&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=All&Custom=&TABID=1

If you're looking at knowledge of official languages, French is at about 44%.  When you look at language most often spoken at home, and/or mother tongue, the number goes down to 30%.

It should also be noted that because of the huge land mass, the way that the boundaries were cut, and the Aboriginal populations, the number looks smaller than it should be.  Could you imagine telling someone in Val D'or (Quebec) that their riding is only 60% Francophone?  They feel much more Francophone than the numbers indicate.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #311 on: November 24, 2016, 10:08:38 PM »

If you're going by language knowledge, than Timmins-James Bay is 99% Anglo. That's not how you measure language populations Tongue
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #312 on: November 24, 2016, 10:46:42 PM »

Charlie Angus = GONG

It's actually about 44% Francophone, and I was confusing it with the provincial Timmins - James Bay, which includes Kap and Hearst.  That riding is over 50% francophone.

If you're looking at knowledge of official languages, French is at about 44%.  When you look at language most often spoken at home, and/or mother tongue, the number goes down to 30%.

It should also be noted that because of the huge land mass, the way that the boundaries were cut, and the Aboriginal populations, the number looks smaller than it should be.  Could you imagine telling someone in Val D'or (Quebec) that their riding is only 60% Francophone?  They feel much more Francophone than the numbers indicate.

If someone wants to try, I'm avaliable. Well, as the name of the riding indicates, it's a mix of various areas, which consider each other separate (and have quite different realities, honestly).
toaster
Canada

« Reply #313 on: November 25, 2016, 07:18:47 PM »

Charlie Angus = GONG

If someone wants to try, I'm avaliable. Well, as the name of the riding indicates, it's a mix of various areas, which consider each other separate (and have quite different realities, honestly).

Nonetheless, the population centres in the ridings are quite more Francophone than the riding demographics would have you believe.

There are more Christians than Jews in Thornhill, yet people call it a Jewish riding. 

The point is, you can still label a riding, or city, by a name that identifies a large group of its people (even if they fall below 50% in the area, or is not the largest group) if it has a significant population. 
Timmins-James Bay is a Francophone riding in Ontario.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #314 on: November 25, 2016, 09:19:06 PM »

Charlie Angus = GONG

Nonetheless, the population centres in the ridings are quite more Francophone than the riding demographics would have you believe.

There are more Christians than Jews in Thornhill, yet people call it a Jewish riding. 

The point is, you can still label a riding, or city, by a name that identifies a large group of its people (even if they fall below 50% in the area, or is not the largest group) if it has a significant population. 

I'm aware of that. It was a reference to me being in and from Val-d'Or.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #315 on: November 25, 2016, 11:05:11 PM »

Charlie Angus = GONG

Thornhill's an interesting case, because Jews make up a plurality (larger than any Christian denomination). And in when looking an Canadian religion demos, we usually don't lump all Christians together as one cohesive group.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #316 on: November 26, 2016, 06:20:47 AM »

This is wise. Assuming Hatman still identifies as  United, we're still technically members of the same religion... which makes it useless for demographics and projections Tongue
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #317 on: November 26, 2016, 03:14:23 PM »

This is wise. Assuming Hatman still identifies as  United, we're still technically members of the same religion... which makes it useless for demographics and projections Tongue

I'm Catholic, so add 3 (and it makes it even more useless).
toaster
Canada

« Reply #318 on: November 27, 2016, 07:47:26 PM »

Charlie Angus = GONG

Thornhill's an interesting case, because Jews make up a plurality (larger than any Christian denomination). And in when looking an Canadian religion demos, we usually don't lump all Christians together as one cohesive group.
Speaking for myself, as a non-Christian, I do group them together.  I think it's more people within Christianity who don't like to group themselves with other denominations. 

We say particular region's or ridings have large Indigenous (or Aboriginal) populations, we don't further classify.  But within the Indigenous community, they seem to further classify the different Aboriginal groups / languages.

Perhaps it appears that we don't group Christians as a cohesive group because they are the majority group.  It's kind of coming from a privileged stance to stay, in Christianity, we don't identify as a cohesive group.  We don't because you are the majority, and that's the way you see it.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #319 on: November 27, 2016, 07:50:46 PM »

The quote inside a quote inside a quote thing is getting a bit annoying.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #320 on: November 28, 2016, 10:40:53 AM »

Charlie Angus = GONG

Speaking for myself, as a non-Christian, I do group them together.  I think it's more people within Christianity who don't like to group themselves with other denominations. 

We say particular region's or ridings have large Indigenous (or Aboriginal) populations, we don't further classify.  But within the Indigenous community, they seem to further classify the different Aboriginal groups / languages.

Perhaps it appears that we don't group Christians as a cohesive group because they are the majority group.  It's kind of coming from a privileged stance to stay, in Christianity, we don't identify as a cohesive group.  We don't because you are the majority, and that's the way you see it.

I dunno.. the United Church (my church) and DC's Reformed church are like night and day theologically.  I'm also an atheist (would still check off United on the census for cultural reasons), but I have no qualms going to church once in a while. I would feel quite at home at that church in Toronto where the minister is an atheist.
DL
Canada

« Reply #321 on: November 28, 2016, 12:50:05 PM »

If we want to go down that road - its not as if "Jewish" is such a simple category either. There are orthodox Jews, ultra-orthodox Jews (i.e. Hassidim), Conservative Jews (as in the denomination not the party), Reform Jews, Reconstructionists...not to mention people like me who are culturally Jewish but totally atheist....and that doesnt even include the Ashkenazi/Sephardim divide.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #322 on: November 28, 2016, 05:14:01 PM »

I get being culturally Jewish or culturally Catholic, but what does it mean to be a "cultural United Churcher"?

DL
Canada

« Reply #323 on: November 28, 2016, 05:45:29 PM »

I get being culturally Jewish or culturally Catholic, but what does it mean to be a "cultural United Churcher"?

I think it means being a generic WASP
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #324 on: November 29, 2016, 02:40:28 PM »

I think it means being a generic WASP

Well, a progressive WASP.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies