NDP Leadership Convention 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:43:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  NDP Leadership Convention 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 34
Author Topic: NDP Leadership Convention 2017  (Read 73343 times)
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: December 11, 2016, 06:09:39 PM »

"Jesus announces run for NDP Leadership"

.... Does he speak French fluently? No? DISQUALIFIED.

Speaking some amount of French is important, that's clear, but to be completely disqualifying or qualifying candidates as Leader based on that sole attribute, even if it is important, is reckless.

Sorry but we have two official languages in Canada. If you cannot express yourself in both of them then you have no business seeking the leadership of a national political party. Its as simple as that. Can anyone imagine a unilingual francophone running to lead the NDP or the CPC and people accepting him or her after being told "don't worry he'll learn English"? (thought so)

It MIGHT have been acceptable for the NDP to have a leader who spoke poor French back in 1989 or 1995 or 2003 when the party had no support at all in Quebec and there was nothing to lose. But even back then it was always an issue. One of the main reasons why Dave Barrett lost the leadership to Audrey McLaughlin in 1989 was his total inability to speak French (and he didn't help matters when he said "so what i also don't speak Chinese"). In 1995 the NDP picked MacDonough, whose French was abysmal and the party was rewarded with 2% in Quebec in 2000. In 2003 one of the factors that gave Layton  an edge over Blaikie was the fact that he had Quebec roots and spoke passable French compared to Blaikie who spoke no French whatsoever ("don't worry he will take a crash course and become fluent in a few month we were told" yeah right).

I'm just saying that if being able to speak French was important back when the NDP had non-existent support in French, its not going to suddenly be LESS important when the NDP has 16 seats in Quebec.

FWIW, Peter Julian is very fluent in French. Charlie Angus's French seems to be a work in progress. He has a base, but his French is surprisingly poor for someone who has been MP for a riding that is 40% francophone since 2004 and who has had access to free state of the art French lessons that all MPs get for the last 12 years. Still, I'd give Angus a chance. He can make conversation and he can understand. What would be ludicrous would be someone like Sid Ryan running to be leader and speaking no French whatsoever and i mean NONE. i have never even heard him say "bonjour". That would be an outrage and would be seen as an insult to French Canada.

Why are so few NDP politicians (and would be politicians bilingual) in the first place? Some people speculated about Avi Lewis - but again he speaks ZERO French. What's his excuse? He grew up in the 70s when French immersion was very much "in vogue" among the English Canadian intelligentsia and he was sent to private schools in Toronto.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #351 on: December 11, 2016, 06:23:36 PM »

"Jesus announces run for NDP Leadership"

.... Does he speak French fluently? No? DISQUALIFIED.

Speaking some amount of French is important, that's clear, but to be completely disqualifying or qualifying candidates as Leader based on that sole attribute, even if it is important, is reckless.

Canada is a bilingual country. Do you wish for Quebec independance? That would the result of yout utterly ignorant proposal.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #352 on: December 11, 2016, 06:31:11 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2016, 06:35:16 PM by Adam T »

Why are so few NDP politicians (and would be politicians bilingual) in the first place? Some people speculated about Avi Lewis - but again he speaks ZERO French. What's his excuse? He grew up in the 70s when French immersion was very much "in vogue" among the English Canadian intelligentsia and he was sent to private schools in Toronto.

French immersion is still very popular in many places with many people.  I have a friend in the small town of Powell River B.C whose entirely schooling was done in French.  The problem is, and this isn't an original idea of mine, is that once they leave school they have nobody to speak French with and no real reason to keep up their studies, so they forget.

My friend is still able to answer some questions I ask him about French, but he says that after being out of high school for almost 15 years now, he can't handle a conversation in French anymore.

In my case, I've always had a difficulty learning languages, so I struggled with learning French in High School, even though I was taught pretty much the same level of French there that I was supposed to have learned in Junior High School.

Memory is a strange thing.  About the only French I remember was our Grade 11 and 12 French teacher used to constantly say "that's neither here nor there." So, I wrote on a test "Ce n'est pas ici, ni la" which he put a huge 'X' through.

At least I found it amusing!

However, my friend in Powell River told me that he might not actually have been annoyed, it's possible he just 'X'ed it out because there is no saying in French of 'that's neither here nor there.'
adma
« Reply #353 on: December 11, 2016, 10:10:09 PM »

It could be that until the Orange Crush, Quebec was viewed as terminally marginal NDP turf that was best targeted in spot increments or unique circumstances (like Phil Edmonston in 1990 as an "anti-establishment-party" pre-Bloc proxy option).  In fact, the first general-election Dipper who banked his bombproof success on "Franco-appeal" was probably Acadie-Bathurst's Yvon Godin in 1997--and he was more a force unto himself than anything...
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #354 on: December 23, 2016, 07:20:00 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2016, 07:34:08 AM by Adam T »

Rebecca Blaikie who has been mentioned previously by some as a potential candidate for the Federal NDP Leadership has indicated that she is considering running for leader of the Manitoba NDP.  

The Manitoba NDP can use a boost like that after their star MLA Kevin Chief first said that he would not run for the leadership of the party, after it was generally assumed that he could have the position by acclamation if he wanted it (maybe Steve Ashton would have tried running again), and then a week or so ago quit politics outright.

In regards to other Federal NDP leadership non candidates, when Charlie Angus stepped down from his positions in consideration of running for leader, Ruth Ellen Brosseau replaced Angus as Caucus Chair and Romeo Saganash replaced Angus as critic for Indigenous Affairs.  Both Brosseau and Saganash had previously indicated they were considering running to replace Mulcair.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/angus-leadership-run-1.3863515

Of all the names who had been initially mentioned but not mentioned lately, I believe that leaves just first term M.P Daniel Blaikie as unaccounted for.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #355 on: December 23, 2016, 08:04:45 AM »

I'm not sure Jagmeet Singh is ready for prime time:
https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/802734505920524289

Jagmeet SinghVerified account
‏@theJagmeetSingh
He saw a country wracked by poverty, illiteracy & disease. So he lead a revolution that uplifted the lives of millions. RIP #FidelCastro

I think it was one thing for Justin Trudeau to make some nice comments about Castro given his father's personal connections with Fidel, but Justin Trudeau doesn't have to face being accused of being a communist sympathizer by people as the unknown (outside of the GTA) Singh likely would.

Given that though, I finally found this short sketch from the old British Comedy Show 'Not the Nine O'Clock News' that I've been looking for for several years that expresses my sentiments on political eulogies.  Yes, that is Mr Bean (Rowan Atkinson)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9b7wmRsy9g

I was told at the time that the vile Antonin Scalia died that I should reserve countering the bullsh**t eulogies along the lines of 'what a wonderful person he was' and 'what a brilliant legal mind who had a clear judging philosophy' out of respect for his family because everybody knows that eulogies aren't meant to be taken all that seriously and that the real debate on his legacy could commence after a sufficient period of time had past.

Then, not two months after the POS died, George Mason University named their law school in his honor and pointed to the eulogies as one of their main reasons for giving him this honor.

At least I still get to enjoy that Scalia will rot in Hell for all eternity where he belongs.  I hope he is suffering as much as he truly deserves to.

Oh, and for any conservatives unhappy with the above, look at what you yourselves said about Castro at the time of his death and spare me your phony moral superiority.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #356 on: December 23, 2016, 05:16:10 PM »

Well, Mulcair said some good things about Thatcher. I guess we're a big tent party!
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #357 on: December 23, 2016, 06:16:18 PM »

Well, Mulcair said some good things about Thatcher. I guess we're a big tent party!

Apropos of nothing, but this is my favorite joke regarding Margaret Thatcher (It was from either Not the Nine O'Clock News or Spitting Image.)

Thatcher and her cabinet are at a restaurant all seated around a large table.

Thatcher: "I'll have the steak"
Waiter:  "And the vegetables..."
Thatcher:  "They'll have steak as well."
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #358 on: December 24, 2016, 07:34:15 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2016, 07:37:38 AM by DC Al Fine »

I was told at the time that the vile Antonin Scalia died that I should reserve countering the bullsh**t eulogies along the lines of 'what a wonderful person he was' and 'what a brilliant legal mind who had a clear judging philosophy' out of respect for his family because everybody knows that eulogies aren't meant to be taken all that seriously and that the real debate on his legacy could commence after a sufficient period of time had past.

Then, not two months after the POS died, George Mason University named their law school in his honor and pointed to the eulogies as one of their main reasons for giving him this honor.

At least I still get to enjoy that Scalia will rot in Hell for all eternity where he belongs.  I hope he is suffering as much as he truly deserves to.

Oh, and for any conservatives unhappy with the above, look at what you yourselves said about Castro at the time of his death and spare me your phony moral superiority.

I've got some tropical property in Winnipeg to sell Adam if he really thinks freaking eulogies are a big reason why George Mason named their law school after Scalia.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #359 on: December 24, 2016, 09:19:21 AM »

I've got some tropical property in Winnipeg to sell Adam if he really thinks freaking eulogies are a big reason why George Mason named their law school after Scalia.

So, you think it was just a coincidence that George Mason decided to name their law school after Scalia about two months after he died?

Do you seriously think if there had been serious pushback on his eulogies along the lines of "actually he was extremely inconsistent in his rulings and had no judicial philosophy" or "actually he was both racist and sexist and was an extremely nasty person who tried to bully his fellow Justices to vote his way" that George Mason University would have renamed their law school in his name?

I highly doubt it.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #360 on: December 24, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »

In regards to other Federal NDP leadership non candidates, when Charlie Angus stepped down from his positions in consideration of running for leader, Ruth Ellen Brosseau replaced Angus as Caucus Chair and Romeo Saganash replaced Angus as critic for Indigenous Affairs.  Both Brosseau and Saganash had previously indicated they were considering running to replace Mulcair.

Of all the names who had been initially mentioned but not mentioned lately, I believe that leaves just first term M.P Daniel Blaikie as unaccounted for.

I don't know if Saganash was seriously considering. One year ago he said he would leave federal politics at the end of his mandate.
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/757129/saganash-romeo-quitte-vie-politique-npd

On Les coulisses du pouvoir year in review tv show, two of the three panelists picked for the Political mistake category, getting rid of Mulcair at the NDP convention.   
DL
Canada

« Reply #361 on: December 24, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »

On At Issue there was talk about Jagmeet Singh and also speculation that Nathan Cullen would change his mind and run for the job after all
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #362 on: December 25, 2016, 03:02:15 AM »

I don't know if Saganash was seriously considering. One year ago he said he would leave federal politics at the end of his mandate.
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/757129/saganash-romeo-quitte-vie-politique-npd

On Les coulisses du pouvoir year in review tv show, two of the three panelists picked for the Political mistake category, getting rid of Mulcair at the NDP convention.   

Last time I saw him (before the 2015 election), he was adamant he would never run for leadership ever again.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #363 on: January 02, 2017, 05:22:31 PM »

Long Singh profile in HuffPo.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #364 on: January 24, 2017, 08:31:18 AM »

First mainstream media article on Syd Ryan, he's thinking about...

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ex-union-leader-sid-ryan-considering-ndp-leadership-bid/article33712398/?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theglobeandmail.com&cmpid=rss1&click=sf_globe&service=mobile

Mentions Ashton, Singh, Juslian, Angus and Caron.

Ryan's entrance would be jolt into the leadership race mainly because he's outside the caucus, he's known as a fire-brand (aka controversial, God would he be the NDPs O'Leary? lol) and I think the ideas he would bring such as Free Post-Secondary, Social Investment bank... the usual left ideas. Doesn't speak french but indicates he would have a co-leader from Quebec (Quebec Solidaire style, which would be interesting comcept)

Article on Guy Caron:

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/22/story-strategy-and-political-vision-could-make-guy-caron-next-ndp-leader#.WIVE1M-844g.facebook

Looks to be positioning himself as Layton's legacy from a middle/working class, economics bread-and-butter issues. Worked for Layton's leadership team would be the "It's the economy stupid" candidate, i'm getting that feel.
DL
Canada

« Reply #365 on: January 24, 2017, 02:10:29 PM »

There is nothing in the NDP constitution that allows for having co-leaders of a party and i doubt if Elections Canada would allow that either. Its possible that at a future NDP policy convention (I believe the next one is slated for sometime in 2018) one could try to get delegates to vote a 2/3 majority to change the party constitution so that instead of there being a leader there are two co-leaders but of course that could not apply retroactively.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #366 on: January 24, 2017, 11:11:04 PM »

The first debate will be March 12 in Ottawa.

Guy Caron says he got satisfying feedback about a leadership run and it's very possible he'll be on stage for the first debate. He will not make an announcement before February 8th.

http://quebec.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/01/24/npd-guy-caron-encourage-par-ses-consultations_n_14372996.html
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #367 on: January 25, 2017, 07:10:13 PM »

It's too bad that Ruth Ellen Brosseau decided to not run, she has a lot of potential.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #368 on: January 25, 2017, 09:10:31 PM »

It's too bad that Ruth Ellen Brosseau decided to not run, she has a lot of potential.

Her time will come.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: January 25, 2017, 10:23:26 PM »

Her time will come.
I just hope she doesn't lose her seat in 2019, those Quebec voters are quite fickle...

If I recall correctly, she was the only NDP MP to increase their vote share in the last election, so that gives me a bit of hope though.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #370 on: January 25, 2017, 10:26:53 PM »

Her time will come.
I just hope she doesn't lose her seat in 2019, those Quebec voters are quite fickle...

If I recall correctly, she was the only NDP MP to increase their vote share in the last election, so that gives me a bit of hope though.
Guy Caron did as well, but he's totally unknown.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: January 25, 2017, 10:38:31 PM »

Her time will come.

I met both Guy Caron and Peter Julian at the same time while they were quasi-campaigning for the leadership, and I can't remember a darn thing about Caron besides that he had a goofy sounding French accent (granted, I'm a Western Canadian so all French accents sound goofy).
DL
Canada

« Reply #372 on: January 26, 2017, 01:11:14 AM »

Her time will come.

Pierre Luc Dussault also increases his margin in Sherbrooke
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #373 on: January 26, 2017, 08:55:54 AM »

I see Guy Caron increasing his vote by about 0.1%, and Dussault losing his vote share by 6%. Brosseau increased here's by 3%, which seems like the most material gain, considering the party's overall support in Quebec dropped by like 20%.
adma
« Reply #374 on: January 26, 2017, 10:44:40 PM »

Even in loss, Philip Toone had a 4% larger notional vote total in Gaspe-LIdlM, and his personal share was only down 1.24% from what he got in 2011 under former boundaries.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies