NDP Leadership Convention 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:27:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  NDP Leadership Convention 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 34
Author Topic: NDP Leadership Convention 2017  (Read 73368 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: February 27, 2017, 02:42:30 PM »

Guy Caron makes three.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/guy-caron-ndp-leadership-1.4000796
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #401 on: February 28, 2017, 10:26:13 AM »

Early, and hearing that both the Ashton and Singh people are gearing up, and the Syd Ryan FB group is still pretty active but I just don't know how if that's happening:

https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/02/28/NDP-Leadership-Contest/

"the candidates bring different strengths to the race — Caron for his economist’s perspective, Angus for his working-class “punk rocker” background and Julian for his ability to organize."

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #402 on: February 28, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »

Caron is a bit more dovish than Julian on Energy East. Singh's in no hurry.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #403 on: February 28, 2017, 06:27:41 PM »

Early, and hearing that both the Ashton and Singh people are gearing up, and the Syd Ryan FB group is still pretty active but I just don't know how if that's happening:

https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/02/28/NDP-Leadership-Contest/

"the candidates bring different strengths to the race — Caron for his economist’s perspective, Angus for his working-class “punk rocker” background and Julian for his ability to organize."

Guy Caron is the third economist to run for the NDP leadership going back to 1961.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #404 on: March 01, 2017, 08:46:35 AM »

Ashton entering next week.
DL
Canada

« Reply #405 on: March 01, 2017, 10:05:50 AM »

I'm pleased that there will be at least one woman in the race, but I find Niki Ashton to be trite, tedious and strident.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #406 on: March 01, 2017, 10:12:55 AM »

Angus being leader would be cool because then I'd know what it's like to have a federal leader as an MP. Even if I don't live in the riding anymore.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #407 on: March 01, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »

I'm not Canadian and it's difficult to imagine the circumstances under which I would vote NDP, but I rather liked Ashton during the last leadership race; seems she's the only repeat candidate, which is odd after having such a large and seemingly talented field last time around.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #408 on: March 01, 2017, 11:13:48 AM »

I'm pleased that there will be at least one woman in the race, but I find Niki Ashton to be trite, tedious and strident.

And those are her good points!  (Sorry)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #409 on: March 01, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »

I'm not Canadian and it's difficult to imagine the circumstances under which I would vote NDP, but I rather liked Ashton during the last leadership race; seems she's the only repeat candidate, which is odd after having such a large and seemingly talented field last time around.

Topp: Was Chief of Staff of Alberta Premier, left in December to "put his family back together", said he would never again run for leadership.
Cullen: Bad timing (his twins are 6), but might run in later races.
Nash: Lost her seat
Dewar: Lost his seat
Singh: Failed to be elected in 2015.
Chisholm: Lost his seat
Saganash: Is leaving politics at the end of this term.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #410 on: March 01, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »

From Ontario, Looks like Angus picks up two MPPs endorsements and Ashton one (I think, it's a paywall on iPolitics, so I had to go by twitter)

Angus wins Gilles Bisson (Timmins-James Bay) (big surprise there! lol) and John Vanthof (Timiskaming-Cochrane) support, both Northern ON MPPs

Ashton wins Cheri DiNovo's (Parkdale-High Park) support... I think, maybe someone who pays for iPolitics can confirm?
DL
Canada

« Reply #411 on: March 01, 2017, 04:42:28 PM »

and Chisholm and Saganash both dropped out of the race long before the actual vote took place. Even if Nash and Dewar had won their seats, I doubt if either would have run again. Dewar was really humiliated last time when he only got 7% of the vote and his French is as awful as ever. Nash is now in her mid-60s and underwhelmed a bit last time so i can't see her doing it again.

Of all the people who ran for the NDP leadership in 2012, the only people who I could really see running again were Cullen and Ashton
DL
Canada

« Reply #412 on: March 01, 2017, 04:45:37 PM »

Ashton wins Cheri DiNovo's (Parkdale-High Park) support... I think, maybe someone who pays for iPolitics can confirm?

That seems like strange timing. Ashton is not even formally running yet and has made no announcement...usually the endorsements happen at the earliest when a candidate announces...or later...not before!! But there have been rumours for some time about DiNovo's mental health
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #413 on: March 01, 2017, 04:49:04 PM »

That seems like strange timing. Ashton is not even formally running yet and has made no announcement...usually the endorsements happen at the earliest when a candidate announces...or later...not before!! But there have been rumours for some time about DiNovo's mental health

Remember this is DiNovo, who announced a run at the leadership by not paying the fees, then dropped out due to health... I love the lady, but she is sporadic, or eclectic.   IF this is true... But Ashton is expected to jump next week.
adma
« Reply #414 on: March 01, 2017, 11:54:36 PM »

Angus wins Gilles Bisson (Timmins-James Bay) (big surprise there! lol) and John Vanthof (Timiskaming-Cochrane) support, both Northern ON MPPs

Keep in mind that because Northern Ontario provincial riding boundaries do not match federal (unlike Southern Ontario), *both* Bisson *and* Vanthof represent Charlie Angus territory.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #415 on: March 02, 2017, 05:50:50 PM »

Hmm, I wonder what's taking him so long?

Anyways, RE: his opposition to Uber, from what I gather many millennial are starting to hate Uber, especially on the left, so no worry there. Not that we like taxis too much. But, I imagine many of his constituents are taxi drivers (well, based on stereotypes).
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #416 on: March 07, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »

Niki Ashton is now in
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ashton-ndp-leadership-race-1.4013070
toaster
Canada

« Reply #417 on: March 07, 2017, 08:10:58 PM »

I wish Peggy Nash or Megan Leslie would enter.  Leslie would be my top choice.  Nash was a former labour organizer, so she would be good at bringing the urban Toronto latte sippers together with the Hamilton blue collar pro-union workers.

I'm not a big fan of Niki Ashton's style.  She's very much, in my view, too hard-line partisan.  The vocabulary she used with the "elbow-gate" was a turn off to most Canadians.  I don't think this hyper-sensationalism/hyper-reactions look good, and that is what I get from her.  I want someone who is willing to work with others, and take a stand based on issues not on politics.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #418 on: March 08, 2017, 08:41:45 AM »

I wish Peggy Nash or Megan Leslie would enter.  Leslie would be my top choice.  Nash was a former labour organizer, so she would be good at bringing the urban Toronto latte sippers together with the Hamilton blue collar pro-union workers.

I'm not a big fan of Niki Ashton's style.  She's very much, in my view, too hard-line partisan.  The vocabulary she used with the "elbow-gate" was a turn off to most Canadians.  I don't think this hyper-sensationalism/hyper-reactions look good, and that is what I get from her.  I want someone who is willing to work with others, and take a stand based on issues not on politics.

Nash is working with the ONDP as a Senior policy adviser right now, and Leaslie is working with WWF Canada. I'd really would have liked to see Megan run; she has a much more warm, less aggressive approach then Ashton plus it would be an East Coast candidate. It's a shame neither of them are looking to run (nor do I see Leslie running next federal, Nash maybe, but with the ONDP role, she might be looking to replace DiNovo is/when she stands down).
I never found Nash to be a strong speaker though, I think that held her back from really being widely supported. I do think Ashton can equally relate to the urban progressives, she is very social media savy and that how your going to engage urban, young members/voters. But we will see if her tone, approach changes... I just think she's pushing for the Canada's Bernie (who is equally very partisan)

Here's a good read in regards to NDP leaders:
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2017/03/05/no-job-in-canada-like-leading-the-ndp-sears.html
DL
Canada

« Reply #419 on: March 08, 2017, 10:02:17 AM »

I have a lot of time for Megan Leslie and I would have liked to have her in the race but her French is just as abysmal as Charlie Angus's
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #420 on: March 08, 2017, 10:23:35 AM »

Saw Jagmeet Singh on the Rick Mercer Report. Awesome segment, made me like him even more. Apparently he's a year-round cyclist like me! (Though I imagine that's a bit easier to do in Toronto then here).

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #421 on: March 08, 2017, 09:35:54 PM »

Keep in mind that because Northern Ontario provincial riding boundaries do not match federal (unlike Southern Ontario), *both* Bisson *and* Vanthof represent Charlie Angus territory.

Yeah. Technically. Bisson is moreso Angus' provincial counterpart than Vanthof. Both Angus and Bisson are based in Timmins.

I went to school with Bisson's niece and have seen him in Canadian Tire.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #422 on: March 09, 2017, 02:14:37 PM »

Holding out for Jagmeet.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #423 on: March 12, 2017, 06:00:55 PM »

Any thoughts on the debate? It didn't help me decide at all. Found it lacked enough substance (short time, and many questions were fluff), and where there was any everybody just seemed to agree with each other.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #424 on: March 14, 2017, 11:23:37 PM »

Gonna wait for Jagmeet to enter before paying any attention to debates.

Also, interesting story today that Pat Stogran, Veteran's Ombudsman (2007-2010) and retired Colonel of the Canadian Forces Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry is considering a run.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies