NDP Leadership Convention 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:32:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  NDP Leadership Convention 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 34
Author Topic: NDP Leadership Convention 2017  (Read 73315 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: April 12, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »

I find it interesting that the NDP might be optimistic enough to think Canadians will elect a brown guy Prime Minister.

Are we not supposed to say that? I have no faith in our people whatsoever.

The locals from my native Timmins-James Bay wouldn't be so hot on him, and it's an NDP stronghold.

What makes you say this?  I also grew up in Timmins, and tend to disagree with you.  Of course, Angus would probably be their first choice because he is the local MP, but TJ-B is very much an NDP stronghold, like you mentioned.  Singh is very pro union, and supports many of the "left-populist" issues that Northern Ontario NDP supports agree with.

Because he is a brown you see, and apparently Northern Ontarians are racist.
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #476 on: April 12, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »

The conventional wisdom used to be that most Ontarians were homophobic as well - especially in places like northern Ontario...didn't stop them from voting for Kathleen Wynne (who isa  dreadful Premier for reasons having nothing to do with her sexuality).
toaster
Canada

« Reply #477 on: April 16, 2017, 06:40:07 AM »

Northern Ontario is much more like Quebec in that they have a do whatever you want / be who you are libertarian attitude towards things like sexuality/race, and a lot of other things. They think everyone should be treated equally (read "same"), which may not always be equitable.  I do think Singh's politics align much more with the North than Angus' do.  It is not uncommon to hear people in Timmins say they feel like they don't get much representation because Angus is always worrying about the "natives" (a word still used by Indigenous and white/non indigenous in the north).  On the surface is sounds racist, but it is much more a reflection of the problem with creating these huge ridings, and grouping urban cities with Aboriginal communities.
adma
« Reply #478 on: April 16, 2017, 04:06:07 PM »

I do think Singh's politics align much more with the North than Angus' do.  It is not uncommon to hear people in Timmins say they feel like they don't get much representation because Angus is always worrying about the "natives" (a word still used by Indigenous and white/non indigenous in the north).  On the surface is sounds racist, but it is much more a reflection of the problem with creating these huge ridings, and grouping urban cities with Aboriginal communities.

OTOH Angus has always tended to overachieve in Timiskaming (Kirkland Lake, Englehart et al)--territory that's historically been more populist-Conservative (and a relative strong spot for Confederation of Regions in the 90s) and where First Nations isn't really a factor.

As I've suggested before, the real weakness may owe something to Timmins being too "city slicker"--a pattern duplicated in other Northern Ontario urban centres such as Sudbury, the Soo, Thunder Bay; it's where those with bourgeois middle-class aspirations settle.  (And who knows whether the Franco-Ontarian demo in Timmins has a problem with Angus' weak grasp of French.)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #479 on: April 17, 2017, 03:23:02 AM »

Northern Ontario is much more like Quebec in that they have a do whatever you want / be who you are libertarian attitude towards things like sexuality/race, and a lot of other things. They think everyone should be treated equally (read "same"), which may not always be equitable.  I do think Singh's politics align much more with the North than Angus' do.  It is not uncommon to hear people in Timmins say they feel like they don't get much representation because Angus is always worrying about the "natives" (a word still used by Indigenous and white/non indigenous in the north).  On the surface is sounds racist, but it is much more a reflection of the problem with creating these huge ridings, and grouping urban cities with Aboriginal communities.

Well, it's the exact same here in Abitibi or in Northern Quebec.

We feel forgotten by government and are far from big centers, so anybody choosing to move and live here is very welcomed.

Same point with cities being more right-wing than rural areas too (except Rouyn, but it's a student city with significant pockets of poverty).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #480 on: April 18, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »

I recall the only black guy in Amos, Quebec got elected as mayor not too long ago. Also, the first black mayor in Canadian history was in Mattawa, Ontario.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #481 on: April 20, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »

Pat Stogran is officially in. Will be very interesting to see how well he does. The juxtaposition between him and Niki Ashton on the debate stage would be sight to see!
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #482 on: April 28, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »

From 'your daily NDP leadership headlines'
http://us15.campaign-archive2.com/?u=def33e50a178af656ca30e7f2&id=19e8c5ef29

(I subscribe via twitter)

Ex-union leader Sid Ryan not entering NDP race, endorses Niki Ashton
By iPolitics, with subscription on Apr 28, 2017 07:41 am
https://ipolitics.ca/2017/04/27/ex-union-leader-sid-ryan-not-entering-ndp-race-endorses-niki-ashton/
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #483 on: May 01, 2017, 08:03:48 PM »

Fundraising result for the first quarter of 2017.

Angus 110 K
Ashton 65 K
Caron 57 K
Julian 19 K

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/05/01/angus-leads-ndp-leadership-fundraising-in-first-quarter/
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #484 on: May 01, 2017, 08:16:21 PM »

Fundraising result for the first quarter of 2017.

Angus 110 K
Ashton 65 K
Caron 57 K
Julian 19 K

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/05/01/angus-leads-ndp-leadership-fundraising-in-first-quarter/
I am personally deciding between Angus and Singh. Good to see one of my prefered candidates leading.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #485 on: May 01, 2017, 08:27:39 PM »

Julian also raised money in 2016 so his total would place him less far from caron.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #486 on: May 01, 2017, 11:29:46 PM »

I find it interesting that the NDP might be optimistic enough to think Canadians will elect a brown guy Prime Minister.

The locals from my native Timmins-James Bay wouldn't be so hot on him, and it's an NDP stronghold.

What makes you say this?  I also grew up in Timmins, and tend to disagree with you.  Of course, Angus would probably be their first choice because he is the local MP, but TJ-B is very much an NDP stronghold, like you mentioned.  Singh is very pro union, and supports many of the "left-populist" issues that Northern Ontario NDP supports agree with.

Roll Eyes More than the national average. Do you know how Natives are treated there?

Roll Eyes
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #487 on: May 02, 2017, 08:45:56 AM »

Roll Eyes More than the national average. Do you know how Natives are treated there?

Roll Eyes

I'm well aware of the racism against Natives up north, I even ranted about it during the Sudbury by-election as one of the reasons the NDP wasn't going to win. But racism against Natives ≠ racism against South Asians. I think you're more likely to find that kind of racism in the GTA (think of the white flight in places like Brampton).
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #488 on: May 05, 2017, 11:55:09 PM »

And I'm not going to forget about how some of my former co-workers were bitching about the "turban wearing Paki" in Harper's cabinet, and how they were afraid that the "Pakis" were going to try to gain control of the country.

Or how one of their wives at a work party was saying Canada should be for Canadians and not all "the Chinese that have been popping up lately."

But yeah the GTA is more racist against South Asians. Ok werk
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #489 on: May 07, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »

And I'm not going to forget about how some of my former co-workers were bitching about the "turban wearing Paki" in Harper's cabinet, and how they were afraid that the "Pakis" were going to try to gain control of the country.

Or how one of their wives at a work party was saying Canada should be for Canadians and not all "the Chinese that have been popping up lately."

Do these people vote NDP?
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #490 on: May 10, 2017, 07:28:44 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2017, 08:19:58 AM by lilTommy »

Looks like Singh is inching closer... gah this is excrutiating... to entering the race

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/jagmeet-singh-ndp-leadership-announcement-1.4096068

I follow him on social media, and he's been all over the country; he was working BC during the election and in Manitoba (endorsing Kinew an ManNDP leader).

My feeling is, he will poll well, but in the end won't win for various reason ( think Angus is in the best overall to win)
This exposure will help the him and the ONDP, I expect he will feature more prominently around Horwath during the election especially in the GTA/urban cities.
DL
Canada

« Reply #491 on: May 10, 2017, 07:35:35 AM »

Jagmeet Singh is IN. He is launching his campaign on Monday.

It can't hurt his prospects that he spent four days campaigning for NDP candidates in suburban Vancouver last week and the NDP sweats all the areas of Surrey and delta where he campaigned. For the NDP to have done that well in Surrey the Sikh community must have swung its votes pretty decisively behind the NDP
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #492 on: May 10, 2017, 11:59:35 AM »

Finally. My god I feel like it's been rumored for a year.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #493 on: May 11, 2017, 02:04:09 PM »

From what I understand, Jagmeet is Obama-level charismatic, and has pretty good campaigning skills, right? He sounds like an excellent candidate, though not without his flaws (he appears to have a taste for the expensive).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #494 on: May 15, 2017, 06:50:22 PM »

Jagmeet campaign launch on right now. This is going to be huge, folks.

From what I understand, Jagmeet is Obama-level charismatic, and has pretty good campaigning skills, right? He sounds like an excellent candidate, though not without his flaws (he appears to have a taste for the expensive).

I wouldn't say he is quite at the level of Obama, but he is definitely Obama-esque. I don't know if this is a flaw or not, but he is definitely a certified hipster.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #495 on: May 16, 2017, 08:42:19 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2017, 09:31:33 AM by lilTommy »

Jagmeet campaign launch on right now. This is going to be huge, folks.

I wouldn't say he is quite at the level of Obama, but he is definitely Obama-esque. I don't know if this is a flaw or not, but he is definitely a certified hipster.

Meaning he can play Trudeau's game but better. He'd appeal to that young urban social liberal, left-liberal voter. I just can't see any other candidate appeal to this group. Angus and Ashton can appeal to parts but not the same. Singh social media game is huge.
Vice - https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/jagmeet-singh-is-finally-here-to-save-the-ndp-leadership-race-from-irrelevance?utm_source=vicetwitterca

His French is pretty good actually for someone in Southern ON (from this mild franco-ontarian), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM_QuN2IFZA&feature=share not the best, still an anglo accent but he's trying with that inflection.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #496 on: May 18, 2017, 08:48:55 AM »

Hébert: don't underestimate Singh here.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #497 on: May 18, 2017, 08:51:40 AM »

Feeling good about my prediction from a few months ago that Jagmeet would win.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #498 on: May 18, 2017, 08:52:03 AM »

How does he get into Parliament?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #499 on: May 18, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »

Safe seat MP resigns, he runs in the by-election.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies