NDP Leadership Convention 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:48:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  NDP Leadership Convention 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 34
Author Topic: NDP Leadership Convention 2017  (Read 72865 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: May 30, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »

Niki Ashton is pregnant; due in November. She'll definitely be 'showing' come vote time. I've never heard of a candidate being pregnant in this kind of a high profile election. This will probably help her, right?

I imagine it might be seen as possibly distracting to her duties should she become leader, not spending time rebuilding the NDP. Nobody will say that openly though, I'm sure. She's not going to be in the top 2 anyway.

She will very likely be in the top 3; she is popular among younger supporters and as the only woman in the race, will get a bump from that as well (pun intended).

There is the possibility of underground gossip of course, because according to Wikipedia, she just got divorced a few months ago. I'm glad I haven't seen any yet; everyone is being quite respectful.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #526 on: May 30, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »

Niki Ashton is pregnant; due in November. She'll definitely be 'showing' come vote time. I've never heard of a candidate being pregnant in this kind of a high profile election. This will probably help her, right?

I imagine it might be seen as possibly distracting to her duties should she become leader, not spending time rebuilding the NDP. Nobody will say that openly though, I'm sure. She's not going to be in the top 2 anyway.

She will very likely be in the top 3; she is popular among younger supporters and as the only woman in the race, will get a bump from that as well (pun intended).

There is the possibility of underground gossip of course, because according to Wikipedia, she just got divorced a few months ago. I'm glad I haven't seen any yet; everyone is being quite respectful.

That is a rather odd situation, but I'm sure people will be respectful of it. Perhaps if she was in contention to win, more ugliness would come out, but still.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #527 on: May 30, 2017, 10:24:18 AM »

That is a rather odd situation, but I'm sure people will be respectful of it. Perhaps if she was in contention to win, more ugliness would come out, but still.

Gossip aside, how would she lead a political party during the latter stages of pregnancy and post partum? Childbirth isn't exactly day surgery, especially at her age.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #528 on: May 30, 2017, 10:33:28 AM »

Gossip aside, how would she lead a political party during the latter stages of pregnancy and post partum? Childbirth isn't exactly day surgery, especially at her age.

What? She's not that old.

Any criticisms along those lines, DC, would fuel a feminist backlash, which would be a great narrative for someone like Ashton, so no one running against her in the NDP is going to even bring up the subject.

It will mean some adjustments in her campaign, but she has the best excuse in the world, because no one will fault her for it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #529 on: May 30, 2017, 10:57:44 AM »

What? She's not that old.

Any criticisms along those lines, DC, would fuel a feminist backlash, which would be a great narrative for someone like Ashton, so no one running against her in the NDP is going to even bring up the subject.

It will mean some adjustments in her campaign, but she has the best excuse in the world, because no one will fault her for it.

I'm asking from a logistics point of view not an electioneering point of view.

My wife is 22 and had a healthy pregnancy/delivery. She had to take medical leave from work the last several weeks of pregnancy due to being on her feet all the time, and she couldn't go back to work for several weeks even if she wanted to. Ashton is 34 and any pregnancy at 35 plus is automatically considered high risk. She would also be working an extremely demanding job for anyone, much less a pregnant/postpartum woman.

Surely she would have to take a leave of absence from being leader at some point.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #530 on: May 30, 2017, 04:43:19 PM »

More from Charlie Angus' Facebook.  What is problematic is that he isn't speaking up against what is being said by his supporters.  Difficult stuff to read.

Are there more examples of this?
Yes.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #531 on: June 03, 2017, 01:45:59 PM »

Can't say that I'm surprised.  Pat Stogran withdraws from leadership race.

Stogran pulls out of NDP leadership race, blaming party insiders
http://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2017/06/03/stogran-pulls-out-of-ndp-leadership-race-blaming-party-insiders/#.WTMRl2jyuM9
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #532 on: June 03, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »

More from Charlie Angus' Facebook.  What is problematic is that he isn't speaking up against what is being said by his supporters.  Difficult stuff to read.

Difficult to read, even more difficult to hear in person.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #533 on: June 11, 2017, 08:24:14 AM »

Singh unveiling tax policy.

Grenier: Angus ahead, Singh could be his top challenger.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #534 on: June 11, 2017, 02:03:12 PM »

Oh yeah, like Grenier is going to know anything about the NDP.

Him working for the CBC is greatest reason to privatize the CBC there is.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #535 on: June 11, 2017, 02:11:23 PM »

Not very impressed with Singh in this debate. Very vague compared to Angus.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #536 on: June 11, 2017, 02:13:28 PM »

Currently undecided between Angus and Singh. Is anyone here willing to try to convince me for either one?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #537 on: June 11, 2017, 09:05:45 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It really depends on the income level for the phase out on that plan to determine starting at which income you are worse than the current system. You could have a "secure pension" because you were in the civil service, have a good pension but not be excessively wealthy.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #538 on: June 11, 2017, 10:20:18 PM »

In a report on today's debate, candidates don't agree on everything.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ndp-leadership-hopefuls-treat-jagmeet-singh-like-the-candidate-to-beat/

- Singh’s refusal to follow the other candidates in categorically opposing an expansion of Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain oil pipeline

- Caron’s own proposal to establish a minimum income level was in turn panned by several of the candidates as being unaffordable and unrealistic.

- Angus also went after Ashton and Julian for their plans to offer free tuition for students, questioning where they would find the money.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #539 on: June 18, 2017, 10:31:30 AM »

Singh opposes KM & EE.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #540 on: June 18, 2017, 06:27:18 PM »

Angus is definitely NOT the Bernie Sanders candidate, since he supports pipelines, and is against trying to provide universal access to post-secondary education for free.  He's turning into the centre-right candidate (at least for the NDP).
DL
Canada

« Reply #541 on: June 19, 2017, 03:54:42 AM »

Angus is not against free post secondary education. He simply challenged those proposing it to present a real plan to implement it including how it would funded and how to deal with the provinces which have 100% jurisdiction over education. These are perfectly valid points and I hope people who want free post secondary plan to address these issues.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #542 on: June 19, 2017, 03:14:23 PM »

Angus is not against free post secondary education. He simply challenged those proposing it to present a real plan to implement it including how it would funded and how to deal with the provinces which have 100% jurisdiction over education. These are perfectly valid points and I hope people who want free post secondary plan to address these issues.
He isn't supporting it or making it known he supports it, so he must is against it.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #543 on: June 20, 2017, 08:38:57 AM »

Looks like another entry into the race... David Berlin
"...editor of the Literary Review of Canada, co-founder of The Walrus Magazine. He has published and edited several books including “ What’s Left: The New Democratic Party in Renewal (2001)”"
http://davidberlin.ca/

I feel at this point, your late to the game.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #544 on: June 20, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »

He isn't supporting it or making it known he supports it, so he must is against it.
He's said that he supports it, dude.
DL
Canada

« Reply #545 on: June 20, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »

Ruth Ellen Brousseau is endorsing Guy Caron
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #546 on: June 20, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »

Ruth Ellen Brousseau is endorsing Guy Caron

Caron has had a few former MPs endorse him as of late too; Jean Crowder and Chris Charlton
toaster
Canada

« Reply #547 on: June 20, 2017, 08:00:14 PM »

He's said that he supports it, dude.
Right, but he's critiquing others by saying they don't have a plan to pay for it.  Well, he doesn't either, so if he does support it, they are all at the same point/position, so why make the criticism?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #548 on: June 26, 2017, 11:06:23 AM »

Being Sikh might be a problem for Singh: http://angusreid.org/who-could-be-prime-minister-president/

Only 63% of Canadians say they could vote for a party with a Sikh leader, and only 56% for a man who wears a religious head covering.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #549 on: June 26, 2017, 11:15:11 AM »

And it's hardly just Conservatives who think so:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to: