make me a map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:47:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  make me a map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: make me a map  (Read 2770 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2005, 05:43:36 PM »

could someone please make me a map of states that vote on economic issues v. states that for social issues.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 11:33:55 PM »

I'm not sure what data you are looking for.

The exit polls in many states asked a "most important issue" question in 2004, and you could compare the number answering "Moral Values" with the number answering "Economy", etc.  But it doesn't appear that this question was asked in every state.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 02:17:56 AM »

Red = economic issues
Blue = social issues

Cheesy
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 10:27:01 AM »

red - economic
blue - social
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 11:15:04 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2005, 11:25:08 AM by Jake »

I'll quible with PA. There is no way the north would vote on economic issues and still go for the Republicans. The poorest township in my county went 65% for Bush. Also, the Southeast would still vote Republican and the Southwest would vote for the Democrats.

Also, NM is poor from what I've gathered and would vote overwhelmingly Democrat if they voted on economic issues.

A few states like MD, FL, and NH are definite mixes. Hispanics vote on social issues and so do the northern transplants, whites vote on economic issues. Most of Maryland's population is clustered in Baltimore and Prince Georges/Montgomery County. Large black populations that vote on economic issues and large suburban population that votes on social issues.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 01:05:04 PM »

I'll quible with PA. There is no way the north would vote on economic issues and still go for the Republicans. The poorest township in my county went 65% for Bush. Also, the Southeast would still vote Republican and the Southwest would vote for the Democrats.

I doubt the state on a whole would vote for Kerry if it voted primarily on social issues. The west and Philadelphia are what swung it.

Also, NM is poor from what I've gathered and would vote overwhelmingly Democrat if they voted on economic issues.

that's why it's a swing state. It wouldn't be if it voted only on social issues.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 04:15:14 PM »

The Southeast swung the state. Philadelphia will always be Democratic due to their voting on economics all the time and the "T" will always be Republican due to their voting on social issues. The Northeast and Southwest are swinging Republican due to their voting increasingly on social issues. Leaving Allegheny County which is staying Democratic for the most part, though suburban sprawl in that area is swinging the outer counties towards the Republicans. This leaves the Southeast and the largest concentration of people in PA. Bucks, Delaware, Montco, Lehigh, Monroe, Berks, and Chester are Democrat on the national level due to social issues.

The only areas in the state that vote on economics are Philadelphia and to a lesser degree Allegheny.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 04:29:14 PM »

thanks BRTD
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 05:01:43 AM »

A few states like MD, FL, and NH are definite mixes. Hispanics vote on social issues and so do the northern transplants, whites vote on economic issues. Most of Maryland's population is clustered in Baltimore and Prince Georges/Montgomery County. Large black populations that vote on economic issues and large suburban population that votes on social issues.

I think a lot of your points are valid...this is a very interesting question...so on the Presidential level, here's my map... Blue= social issue states, red=econ issues

5&DC=1;3;8&FL=2;27;5&GA=2;15;5&HI=

Some explanation:

Poor white social conservatives: obviously blue
Suburban Republican business-leaning voters (like NH or SWest suburbs): red
Poor dem voters (union, some poor minorities etc): obviously red
Dem suburban social voters found on manhattan, La's westside/sf/nova/philly: blue

Pacific:
HI: Econ voters definitely...
AK: They vote Republican partly because of oil! Is that an econ question? But considering leave-me-alone attitude is kinda part of social divide, it stays blue..
CA: This is definitely a questionable call but because whites are more active voters than the hispanic econ voters, i'll put it in the social voter category thanks to san fran/L.A. liberals and social conservatives in inland empire/central valley.  Close & questionable call, though.
OR: Granola voters v. eastern oregonians...definite social divide...
WA: Okay, i made a mistake in my map...this should be blue, too, like oregon except a little less blue because of more blue collar dems and, perhaps more suburban republicans...

West:
NV: Huge econ divide of unions v. libertarianish suburban republicans...
AZ: Ditto, except with fewer Dem econ voters
CO: Well, here there are a few more dem social liberal voters, but lots of econ conservatives as well...
Rest of Mtn west: Mormons and cultural divide are key to republican success

Midwest:
Plains: okay, obviously...what's the matter with kansas territory
Texas: Hmmm...lots of suburban Republcian voters who vote rep for both econ/social reasons... but because of rural voters and others who vote rep, its blue...but i think kind of questionably because dem voters there are pretty much all econ voters (outside of austin)
LA/AR/MO: would be dem if social issues weren't dominant, though nearly all dem voters are economic in LA and AR, making them, perhaps questionable when combined with wealthy reps.  In Mo, though, there are some Dem social voters...
IA/MN/WI: home to liberal populism.... suburban reps especially in milwaukee, twin suburbs...
IL: close call because of chicago suburban social voters and downstate republcians...still the city's poor liberals and dupage conservatives make it econ voting...
IN: defitiely republican for social reasons..
OH/MI: econ issues with dems getting unions and reps getting hardcore suburban/exurban support....

South: Republican for social reasons...race also acts as a kinda social issue here that solidifies dem support among blacks...
FL: Let's see, social voters in south florida go dem and most Rep voters are probably also social voters (Cubans, also, I'd consider social voters)...

PA: definitely a social issue divide... Republicans win the T and are competitive in SE and NW because of social issues! Dems win philly suburbs becaue of social issues...
DE/CT: Go dem for social reasons...
NY/NJ/RI: Dem for econ reasons/significant rep. econ conservatives...
MA/VT: social issues make it hardcore dem, though theres a significant econ base for dems, too...
NH: some working class dems here, combined with large libertarianish republican voter group make it largely economic....

ME: Overall, it votes dem for social reasons, but the northern district votes dem for econ reasons...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 05:45:52 AM »

At what level?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 10:03:34 AM »

Generally speaking, eastern states are more concerned with social issues, western states more economic.

There are exceptions, of course: Maryland, New York, Massachusetts, DC, and Rhode Island all vote more on economic issues, while California is somewhat more social-oriented then most western states. The Midwest is mainly social, with a few exceptions.

There are many 'mixed' states that vote on both, especially the Great Plains and Rocky Mountain states (Which are genuinlely conservative, as opposed to populist states like West Virginia that vote on social issues or libertarian ones like Alaska). The Upper Midwest is also mixed, explaining its closeness in recent elections. Florida is also fairly mixed.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 06:04:26 PM »

I have to disagree with DanielX.  If Washington voted on economic issues only, it would be a swing state, perhaps with even a small Republican advantage.  We have high unemployment, but the well-to-do Seattle neighborhoods and suburbs are a major population center that would probably swing Republican under these circumstances.

And here we go:

States in grey are fairly even.  If I had to make it solid:

DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 07:07:04 PM »

I have to disagree with DanielX.  If Washington voted on economic issues only, it would be a swing state, perhaps with even a small Republican advantage.  We have high unemployment, but the well-to-do Seattle neighborhoods and suburbs are a major population center that would probably swing Republican under these circumstances.

And here we go:

States in grey are fairly even.  If I had to make it solid:

Maybe I should've said the 'West Coast' instead of 'California' is more social-oriented (this would include the more lefty areas of Oregon and Washington).

Also, I would say Utah is social-leaning mixed rather then a pure social (they're also economically conservative). Pennsylvania is mixed; the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas vote more on economic issues, the middle of the state votes more on social issues.  Iowa and Wisconsin are also mixed (most close states are).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 12:30:12 AM »

I agree, DanielX, on Utah, primarily because of tithe.  But Utah seems somewhat economically disengaged.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 02:28:06 AM »

Red = Social
Blue = Economic
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 09:17:07 AM »

Illinois, Colorado vote on social issues? Idaho, West Virginia on Economic?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 02:48:39 PM »

Wow. I don't know how I messed up Idaho like that. As of W. Virginia, it tends to lean Democratic whenever it is experiencing economic fallouts. I would also contribute the recent slight shift in Colorado to social issues. As for Illinois, it could be either way; I filled the map in with the best of my ability, which for some states may go either way IMO.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies