Another biased article
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:31:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Another biased article
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another biased article  (Read 435 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2005, 06:50:43 PM »

Pro-Owen sob story in bold.
Sentences critical of Owen in Italics.
Neutral / event-based sentences in normal text.
(Editorial comments) in parantheses.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050606/ap_on_re_us/owen_sworn_in

By KELLEY SHANNON, Associated Press Writer Mon Jun 6, 1:34 PM ET

AUSTIN, Texas - Texas judge Priscilla Owen, the subject of a long and heated confirmation battle in the U.S. Senate, took the oath of office Monday for her new seat on the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Owen, a justice on the Texas Supreme Court for more than a decade, won Senate confirmation to the federal post last month after a four-year fight over President Bush's push to place conservatives on the nation's highest courts. She became the first of Bush's long-blocked nominees to win approval under an agreement reached by centrists in the Senate.

"This has been a long road," Owen, 50, said after her swearing-in ceremony at the Texas Supreme Court chamber. She used one of Sam Houston's Bibles to take the oath of office.

"This is bittersweet for me because I'm saying goodbye to some of the finest people I've ever had the pleasure of working with," she said.

Owen was first nominated by Bush to the federal appeals court in May 2001. She continued to serve on Texas' highest civil court while awaiting confirmation.

Democrats argued that Owen allowed her political beliefs to color her rulings. They were particularly critical of her decisions in abortion cases involving teenagers.

(what decisions? No specific objections are ever mentioned. No matter. Right to the rebuttal...)

But Republicans said those criticisms were politically motivated. They noted that she easily won election to the Texas Supreme Court in 1994 and re-election in 2000.

"The president stood firm against those who would distort her record," said Texas Supreme Court Chief Justice Wallace Jefferson. He said it was hard to imagine the strength Owen mustered to withstand four years of criticism.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (news, bio, voting record) and Gov. Rick Perry also praised the way Owen conducted herself.

Hutchison, who worked to get the judge a confirmation vote in the Senate, said Owen displayed "judicial temperament" while never complaining about her treatment in the Senate.

"Priscilla Owen stood, and she stood with integrity," Hutchison said. "She took it like a champion and deserves to be sitting on the federal bench today."

Owen is filling a post vacated in 1997, when a judge took on senior status, which is a more limited role with the court.

"We have been waiting eight years for you," Chief Judge Carolyn King of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said. "But you, Priscilla Owen, have been worth the wait."

(I'm crying already!!)

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is based in New Orleans. It hears appeals from federal districts courts in Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 07:01:40 PM »

Bring back Death Wish II!  Truman had good job creation numbers, but he sacrificed everything else to get there, like inflation.  I think his approval rating was about 30% when he left office.

In any case, I don't see anything in that story that's not accurate.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 07:07:25 PM »

Bring back Death Wish II!  Truman had good job creation numbers, but he sacrificed everything else to get there, like inflation.  I think his approval rating was about 30% when he left office.

In any case, I don't see anything in that story that's not accurate.

Truman's job creation numbers are not what is unusual; it's the 2001-2005 numbers that are out of line historically. Looking at the 2004-2005 period is extremely generous to Bush/the current recovery. The recession officially ended in November 2001! If the entire period from then until now was averaged out and compared to recoveries in 1991-95, 1983-87, and 1975-79, the abnormally low job creation of this cycle would almost certainly be devastatingly clear.

Anyways, his low approval was out of public tiredness due to 20 years of Democrats, the McCarthy hearings, and above all his dispute with General McArthur.

Bias does not necessarily need to mean outright lies.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies