Progressive Groups Targeting Julian Castro's HUD Record
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:36:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Progressive Groups Targeting Julian Castro's HUD Record
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Progressive Groups Targeting Julian Castro's HUD Record  (Read 1109 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2016, 09:25:31 AM »

His veep prospects just grew dimmer:

Progressive groups target Julian Castro:
They say the record of the HUD secretary makes him unsuitable to be Clinton's VP.

By Edward-Isaac Dovere
04/12/16 05:18 AM EDT

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/progressive-groups-target-julian-castro-221817#ixzz45ce9Yncu
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 09:34:30 AM »

ok but Hillary isn't progressive enough, either.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:35:56 AM »

In a country where policy and culture both heavily favor homeownership, mortgages and foreclosures are important issues for a ton of people. I'm glad this is getting discussed.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 09:43:28 AM »

All the more reason for her to select a progressive running-mate acceptable to Sanders' supporters. 
Knives
solopop
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 09:45:11 AM »

No one will be 'pure' enough for some people.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:46:20 AM »

They're right. Castro is a bad VP option.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 09:48:18 AM »

If you can't pay your mortgage, you lose your home, period. I'm not sure why some people feel as if foreclosure is some sort of unfair oppression by the 1%.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 10:05:25 AM »

They know Sanders can't win the nomination so they are doing everything in their power to influence the VP pick. That's just reading the political tea leaves.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:14:52 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2016, 10:34:40 AM by What shall make their sap ascend? »

If you can't pay your mortgage, you lose your home, period. I'm not sure why some people feel as if foreclosure is some sort of unfair oppression by the 1%.

I mean, to be honest, 'if you can't [do X], you lose your home' is never a 'just' way to run a housing economy, even if it is 'fair'.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 10:30:26 AM »

In a country where policy and culture both heavily favor homeownership, mortgages and foreclosures are important issues for a ton of people. I'm glad this is getting discussed.

Completely agree. Then again, the roots of Castro's appeal and credibility as a national Democratic leader have baffled me for almost as long as he's been a thing.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 10:33:13 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2016, 10:38:23 AM by Averroës »

Suggested alternative question: Why do we have a housing supply that is unaffordable for an increasing large share of Americans, built to serve automobiles rather than people, discriminatory in its influence on patterns of settlement, and mostly owned by a three or four major banks?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 10:37:33 AM »

All the more reason for her to select a progressive running-mate acceptable to Sanders' supporters. 

Castro's problem is not so much about insufficient credibility on the left as it is about insufficient credibility, period. There's very little in his record that would establish whether or not he's a "true progressive" or whatever, but that's mostly because there's very little there to establish much of anything.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 10:56:01 AM »

I mean, to be honest, 'if you can't [do X], you lose your home' is never a 'just' way to run a housing economy, even if it is 'fair'.

That's where supply and demand comes in. There is also the fact that many people take loans out that they cannot afford to pay back. Granted, the banks were giving no money down loans, so there is a lot of responsibility on the banks as well.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 11:00:14 AM »

That's where supply and demand comes in.

...what?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 11:08:48 AM »

There are so many other progressives more deserving of the national profile Castro has been given.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 11:14:36 AM »

...what?

Houses cost money. Not everyone can get a free house, because it would be impossible to maintain such a system. If you don't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »

...what?

Houses cost money. Not everyone can get a free house, because it would be impossible to maintain such a system. If you don't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.

I understand that good and well (and would appreciate not being talked down to), but 'muh supply and demand' doesn't even come close to addressing what I said.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 11:19:13 AM »

...what?

I understand that good and well (and would appreciate not being talked down to), but 'muh supply and demand' doesn't even come close to addressing what I said.

When you replied, you edited out the rest of my post to ignore the point about people taking out mortgages they couldn't afford, which leads to foreclosure. I'm not exactly sure what your point is.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 11:19:50 AM »

Not really sure what to make of someone who responds to concerns about justice in housing with "solve for equilibrium hero derp." I'm pretty sure that Nathan wasn't suggesting that everyone be given a 3k square foot McMansion with a four-car garage in the exurbs. The notion that the United States can't afford, say, some kind of social housing guarantee (or any of an array of reforms to federal housing policy to make it more fair, pro-social, and sustainable) is laughable.

(And, if you're really concerned about efficiency, it would probably cost less than the home mortgage deduction!)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 11:20:32 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2016, 11:22:32 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market »

I'm sure they LOVE the work Andrew Cuomo did in this department even if there is some validity to this. (Actually progressive groups will hate anybody save the Messiah so perhaps not.)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 11:27:04 AM »

Not really sure what to make of someone who responds to concerns about justice in housing with "solve for equilibrium hero derp." I'm pretty sure that Nathan wasn't suggesting that everyone be given a 3k square foot McMansion with a four-car garage in the exurbs. The notion that the United States can't afford, say, some kind of social housing guarantee (or any of an array of reforms to federal housing policy to make it more fair, pro-social, and sustainable) is laughable.

(And, if you're really concerned about efficiency, it would probably cost less than the home mortgage deduction!)

Housing policy is something of a side-interest/passion of mine. I don't think Castro has done a terrible job given the status of the market as it exists today, and these people are not being particularly fair to him, but there is space on the left for some bold housing reform because it really is a messed up, unfair, inefficient, environmentally unsustainable and unjust. I just don't think the job of HUD Sexretary is where you make that change from. It has to be much, much bigger than that.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »

Housing policy is something of a side-interest/passion of mine. I don't think Castro has done a terrible job given the status of the market as it exists today, and these people are not being particularly fair to him, but there is space on the left for some bold housing reform because it really is a messed up, unfair, inefficient, environmentally unsustainable and unjust. I just don't think the job of HUD Sexretary is where you make that change from. It has to be much, much bigger than that.

I mostly agree. But some federal regulations (and stipulations for grant money) have historically done a great deal of harm, and that's the kind of reform that I would like to see any HUD secretary tackling a lot more heavily than Castro has to date.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 11:33:33 AM »

...what?

When you replied, you edited out the rest of my post to ignore the point about people taking out mortgages they couldn't afford, which leads to foreclosure.

Because it's obvious, and because it's not my point.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That to make the housing market a cavalcade of one industry-wide scam, cultural pressure point, and bad, guilt-tripping policy push after another, and then say--especially with wages and economic security in general being what they are these days--that people facing the possibility of homelessness for being taken for a ride and not being able to keep up is Just The Way The Market Goes, is morally indefensible.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 11:36:24 AM »

I mostly agree. But some federal regulations (and stipulations for grant money) have historically done a great deal of harm, and that's the kind of reform that I would like to see any HUD secretary tackling a lot more heavily than Castro has to date.

Grants would be an excellent place for reformat HUD level, but I didn't get the sense that these groups are targeting Castro over that. Zoning and NIMBYism is where the real reform will have to happen, but sadly I don't see as much grassroots push on that front Sad
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 11:50:02 AM »

But ... young hispanic
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: