Progressive Groups Targeting Julian Castro's HUD Record
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:33:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Progressive Groups Targeting Julian Castro's HUD Record
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Progressive Groups Targeting Julian Castro's HUD Record  (Read 1098 times)
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »

In the modern democratic party, moderates are more likely to embrace identity politics than the left.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 02:15:31 PM »

I think any Dem nominee is going to need a black VP more than a Hispanic one. I don't know why there is all this discussion over the need for a Hispanic VP when the black vote by far is the most important part of the Obama coalition and winning in Nov.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 02:21:01 PM »

I think any Dem nominee is going to need a black VP more than a Hispanic one. I don't know why there is all this discussion over the need for a Hispanic VP when the black vote by far is the most important part of the Obama coalition and winning in Nov.

This year is the perfect year to make a major push for increasing Hispanic voter turnout, and many groups, including the Clinton campaign, are already investing heavily in this. In terms of long term success, doing whatever possible to court Hispanic voters now would be in the best interests of the party. Obama already significantly increased African American voter participation for Democrats, so now we need to zero in on Hispanics to open up even more Republican territory.

So with that in mind, I say bring someone like Perez on board as VP to help reach out to Hispanics. If Clinton ends up going against Cruz, this may be more important for the sake of appearances at least.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 03:27:39 PM »

Sanders should just step aside. He can't win. What a old fool he is.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 04:00:59 PM »

In a country where policy and culture both heavily favor homeownership, mortgages and foreclosures are important issues for a ton of people. I'm glad this is getting discussed.

True, but these people doing this are seen as bullies. Wanting to get every little thing. However, Kaine and Castro are on top of the list.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 04:08:09 PM »

I still think one of the VA senators is more likely than Castro as they are safer picks and she probably doesn't need extra the Latino boost (and if she does, then Perez may be better anyway).   Are these groups going to go after other potential VPs?  Will they attack Kaine and Warner? Would Perez be liberal enough? (he is beloved by the unions).  Or will they go after anyone who isn't Sanders or Warren?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 12:42:16 AM »

If you haven't noticed yet, Hillary doesn't need any help winning the black vote.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2016, 02:10:53 PM by Simfan34 »

In a country where policy and culture both heavily favor homeownership, mortgages and foreclosures are important issues for a ton of people. I'm glad this is getting discussed.

Completely agree. Then again, the roots of Castro's appeal and credibility as a national Democratic leader have baffled me for almost as long as he's been a thing.

You've said this a lot, and I'm interested to see what specifically is driving it. Is it that he was essentially a part-time, ceremonial even, mayor who had few tangible accomplishments to speak of? His slightly dubious finances based on a $3000 salary, speaking fees, and a mysterious seven figure referral fee? I've done some reading recently and I think I'm beginning to see why you'd feel this way.

I'm also interested in how we could change laws and regulations to favor transit-oriented, more compact, and generally New Urbanist modes of development. While regulations are largely necessary to have a pleasant urban environment, the incentive for density is inherent. I'd like to see those incentives let loose.

We don't all need to live in Manhattan, but I'd like to see more towns built with walkable centers and narrow lots. One problem with New Urbanism is that it often is not meaningfully walkable-- you can't walk to the shops, and there's no transit anywhere. I've come to see the merit of many of the critiques of New Urbanism, particularly of its focus on results rather than processes, but I share its aesthetic biases, so I do think it's still pretty useful.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 12:53:31 AM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adriancarrasquillo/turmoil-among-progressive-and-latino-groups-after-attack-on#.vqRZbD3yN

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies