Was Richard Nixon Always Inherently Paranoid?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:54:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Was Richard Nixon Always Inherently Paranoid?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Or Did Something Change Him?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Was Richard Nixon Always Inherently Paranoid?  (Read 1151 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2016, 10:00:00 AM »

I'd argue no. I think it can be accepted that 60 and 62 did it for him. They were both "supposed" to be his.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 06:34:55 PM »

What do "Yes" and "No" mean in the poll? It's not a "Yes or No" question if you take the title and poll question as a single one.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 06:48:27 PM »

He'd been under the impression that some "other" was out to get him for a while by '62. I'm not a psychoanalyst and I ain't gonna effortpost, but he'd had his run-ins before.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 07:22:23 PM »

The pursuit of Algier Hiss, his courtship with Pat Nixon, his smear tactics to even reach the Senate when Douglas was already unpopular, all of it reeks of paranoia.

It is all that paranoia from the outset that makes him so tragic and so compelling to learn about.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 07:25:07 PM »

The pursuit of Algier Hiss, his courtship with Pat Nixon, his smear tactics to even reach the Senate when Douglas was already unpopular, all of it reeks of paranoia.

It is all that paranoia from the outset that makes him so tragic and so compelling to learn about.

He was also 100% correct about Algier Hiss, which couldn't have helped his paranoia.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 07:35:19 PM »

He was also 100% correct about Algier Hiss, which couldn't have helped his paranoia.

He's such a lovable character.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 08:47:53 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2016, 09:10:57 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

No.  His losses to Kennedy in 1960 and to Pat Brown in 1962 are what made him paranoid.  If you watch his press conference after losing to Brown (which IMO is on of the greatest concession speeches in American history), you could tell he was bitter and blaming the media for his loss.  He claimed that they'd been against him ever since the Alger Hiss case.  I guess you could say his red-baiting of Hiss and Helen Douglas were an early sign of paranoia, but it didn't really kick in until his two campaign losses.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 08:51:56 PM »

What do "Yes" and "No" mean in the poll? It's not a "Yes or No" question if you take the title and poll question as a single one.

Yeah the second I posted this I realized what I did.

TAKE THE YES AND NO AS REFERRING TO THE TITLE NOT THE QUESTION
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 07:17:41 AM »

No.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 09:28:13 AM »

He certainly had some predispositions. Paranoia doesn't just appear out of the blue.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »

He certainly had some predispositions. Paranoia doesn't just appear out of the blue.
[/quote

His political bloodlust is evident as early as 1946. Later schemes were a combination of this instinct combined with his seething hatred of his enemies, which was likely just reinforced every step of the way from 1946 to 1974. He'd had to battle prissy little liberals in both parties since at least the time Ike tried to boot him in '52; his attempts to appease them, such as in "the Republicans' Munich" in 1960 were ill-fated, 1958 had shown that he could not campaign on principle and win, and so on. That said, '60 and '62 could be attributed to specific, eh, seemingly dirty phenomena, such as Kennedy using his security access against Nixon in one of the debates, and the Cuban Missile Crisis pretty conveniently helping Dems in the 1962 mid-terms.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies