Do you support the Dem's super delegate system the way it is? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:05:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Do you support the Dem's super delegate system the way it is? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: skip
yes

no

write in

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Author Topic: Do you support the Dem's super delegate system the way it is?  (Read 11313 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

« on: August 22, 2016, 01:34:34 PM »

As a Republican, I wish we had the same system the Dems did, except with more superdelegates.

I don't think that really works. Look at what would likely have happened if Bernie had a majority of the Dem elected delegates, but lost on superdelegates. There would have been a tremendous public uproar about their votes not counting, etc. It's even possible that would have been enough to drive Sanders to run under a third party. At least with a system of elected pledged delegates that outcome can't happen.

The superdelegate system was intended as a hybrid between the system of 50 years ago where state county chairman and similar insiders drove the nomination process and the push for public primaries for delegates. But once there is a significant role for the public in delegate selection, I don't see how the public would accept overruling the primary results by insiders.

If one is unhappy with outsiders taking over a nomination, the only other option is to return to the system that existed before 1970. Then presidential primaries would go back to being used mostly as beauty contests to gauge support for candidates with less national name ID. The parties would have to make it clear that the parties will select the nominees as they do for US third parties and in Europe. I don't think that would be very popular for the major parties in the US after so many decades of active primaries.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies