Plausible Convention Compromise Picks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:18:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Plausible Convention Compromise Picks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Plausible Convention Compromise Picks  (Read 1007 times)
mencken
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2016, 02:45:28 PM »

The problem with Paul Ryan as a compromise pick between Trump and Cruz is that Ryan disagrees with both Trump and Cruz on immigration and foreign policy (not to mention being part of the "Establishment") Are there any people that could plausibly be floated as a compromise between Trump and Cruz, rather than a Republican establishment wet dream? I think Dave Brat or Walter Jones could both fit this category, being part of the Cruz-friendly Freedom Caucus while raising many of Trump's objections on trade and immigration.
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 02:46:18 PM »

John Kasich.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 02:48:10 PM »

I don't think Walter Jones wants it.  It would have to be someone well known, because they only have a few months to get known.  However, an outsider might do well if they face Clinton.
Fargobison

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:52:20 PM »

I don't know how you cobble together a compromise between Cruz and Trump. The Trump supporters only want the orange one. I don't think anyone not named Trump would satisfy them.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 02:53:25 PM »

A military hero might be the only person who could unify the party at this point. The problem is, there's no Eishenhower-type figure in America today. David Petraeus would have been an obvious answer, but he disqualified himself. I suspect this is why some in the Establishment and donor class are pushing James Mattis. Stan McChrystal is another possibility.
mencken
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 02:58:08 PM »

Maybe if the 2000 version went into a wormhole and emerged at the 2016 RNC, but I don't see the current anti-deportation moderate hero being all that appealing to Trump or Cruz voters.

I don't think Walter Jones wants it.  It would have to be someone well known, because they only have a few months to get known.  However, an outsider might do well if they face Clinton.

The less well-known the better, IMO. Generic R does best against Clinton, so running a complete blank slate seems like their best option, provided they could get the Trump and Cruz folks to hop on board.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »

Maybe if the 2000 version went into a wormhole and emerged at the 2016 RNC, but I don't see the current anti-deportation moderate hero being all that appealing to Drumpf or Cruz voters.

The less well-known the better, IMO. Generic R does best against Clinton, so running a complete blank slate seems like their best option, provided they could get the Drumpf and Cruz folks to hop on board.
There's less well-known and there's pretty much completely unknown.  Outside of Atlas Forums, how many people know about Walter Jones?  I don't think he is a viable candidate.  They would need a Senator or Governor at least.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 03:04:28 PM »

It depends on who the delegates are and who the compromise is between. There are basically three camps: Trump, Cruz, and establishment. If the delegates are largely made up of Cruz supporters and establishment-types, as many suspect, than a compromise candidate would likely be someone who could unite those delegates. Of the Cruz endorsers, Haley and Walker make sense as compromise picks between Cruz and the establishment.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 03:27:05 PM »

Most to least likely nominees:

1. Donald Trump
2. Ted Cruz
3. John Kasich
4. Paul Ryan
5. Marco Rubio
6. Nikki Haley
7. Tim Scott
8. Susana Martinz
9. Bill Haslam
10. Bob Corker
11. Brian Sandoval
12. John Thune
13. Jeff Flake
14. Jeb Bush
15. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen
16 Mike Rounds

I've looked through lists of all sitting GOP Governors, Senators, and Representatives, and basically everyone else is either too old, too new, too unpopular, too ambiguous, too liberal, or too conservative. And yes, I know Sandoval and Ros-Lehtinen are pro-choice.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 04:01:53 PM »

1. Donald Trump
2. Ted Cruz
3. John Kasich
4. Paul Ryan
5. Marco Rubio
6. Nikki Haley
7. Tim Scott
8. Susana Martinz
9. Bill Haslam
10. Bob Corker
11. Brian Sandoval
12. John Thune
13. Jeff Flake
14. Jeb Bush
15. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen
16 Mike Rounds

I've looked through lists of all sitting GOP Governors, Senators, and Representatives, and basically everyone else is either too old, too new, too unpopular, too ambiguous, too liberal, or too conservative. And yes, I know Sandoval and Ros-Lehtinen are pro-choice.

What about John Thune?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 04:07:39 PM »

a compromise pick would have to be acceptable to a significant portion of cruz-adjacent republicans (his own delegates plus the ninjas)

in other words, we're looking for a True Conservative type, like mike lee or tim scott. maybe mia love. if it gets bad they might settle for a rubio or a santorum.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 04:16:46 PM »

1. Donald Trump
2. Ted Cruz
3. John Kasich...

I definitely think that Scott Walker should be on a 16-person list. I don't think the Religious Freedom Restoration Act totally destroys the possibility of Pence. I also think Rick Scott at least a chance of being a compromise between the establishment and Trumpists, if the convention shakes out that way.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 04:46:57 PM »

Walker Santorum Romney Haslam Thune Bush
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 05:02:27 PM »

I don't think there is anyone who is a compromise pick, especially with Ryan out. I think the only way to have a 'compromise ticket' with two candidates who have support of enough delegates to get a majority.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 05:06:13 PM »

Scott Brown/Walter Jones or Scott Brown/Rand Paul. Maybe Walter Jones/Rudy Giuliani?
yankeesfan
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 05:19:59 PM »

Could someone like Tom Cotton or Ben Sasse sneak through?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 05:42:02 PM »

Keep in mind that many delegates aren't necessarily Trump die-hards. They're establishment Republicans obligated to vote for one person at the early stages of a convention.

So they might not care that much about getting a cross between Trump and Cruz.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 06:46:43 PM »

Mike Lee would have as good a shot as any.
mencken
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 05:55:13 PM »

Scott Brown/Walter Jones or Scott Brown/Rand Paul. Maybe Walter Jones/Rudy Giuliani?

I concur that Scott Brown would be a good pick.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 06:04:41 PM »

I mean, you have to take into account the elite of the GOP are morons who thought Jeb! was a good nominee. So whoever they gravitate towards, it would probably be completely self-evident ridiculous.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 06:12:43 PM »

1. Donald Trump
2. Ted Cruz
3. John Kasich
4. Paul Ryan
5. Marco Rubio
6. Nikki Haley
7. Tim Scott
8. Susana Martinz
9. Bill Haslam
10. Bob Corker
11. Brian Sandoval
12. John Thune
13. Jeff Flake
14. Jeb Bush
15. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen
16 Mike Rounds

You do know that Ros-Lehtinen is a naturalized citizen and ineligible for the Presidency, right?

I would say that the odds right now are along the lines of 55% Cruz, 40% trump, and 5% anyone else. Indiana, which is a necessary Cruz victory to stopper any post-mid-Atlantic momentum, should clear up basically everything and might be the most crucial state left in the calendar; by the time California comes along it should be clear whether trump is on track for the nomination or not.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 06:16:22 PM »

Not that this is actually going to happen or anything, but I just Googled "random Congressman." The first result was Robert Aderholt. The second was Larry Bucshon. Aderholt/Bucshon 2016 FTW

In all seriousness? Bill Haslam and John Thune come to mind.
RJ
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 06:26:10 PM »

Aaaahhhh! I can't believe this! John Kasich? Scott Brown? Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul and every two bit hillbilly the party has to offer? What about the ones who actually garnered the most votes? If it is anyone other than Trump or Cruz then I can't imagine how the party could win the election this fall with such a huge cloud of controversy surrounding that person.(there's also the issue of trump running as a third party...)

One of the Republican party's big problems is although they consider themselves the great simplifiers, things such as rules, court decisions and elections are meaningless to them. If Donald trump recieves the most votes in the process and Cruz finishes within striking distance, I can't imagine how either couldn't be the nominee. Just because you don't like that person's chances of winning doesn't mean that he fails to represent what your party stands for. It's an internal problem inside the GOP, not necessarily Trumps or Cruz's.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »

Newt Gingrich
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet