Opinion of the candidates' favorite movies (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:07:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Opinion of the candidates' favorite movies (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: "favorite"
Clinton: FF

Clinton: HP

Sanders: FF

Sanders: HP

Trump: FF

Trump: HP

Cruz: FF

Cruz: HP

Kasich: HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Opinion of the candidates' favorite movies  (Read 1131 times)
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 12, 2016, 05:35:10 PM »

Uh, where the hell is the kasich fp option?

Cruz and kasich, not because I like them or their movies are the best ones on the list (I'd pick godfather and Casablanca by far) but because their picks are by far the least full of sh**t
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 09:44:20 PM »

The Big Short was actually a fantastically well done movie (finance nerd).

The Big Short is an amazing book, and a great, funny, emotionally powerful movie.  It also helps to spread a great essential message - that wall street is out of control and we need to get it to back to some saner, less criminal, more socially valuable place.

However, I have a big problem with both the book and the movie in that they lionize the people who shorted the failing market - thereby pouring gasoline on a fire and making a crisis explode into a depression. 

While what they did was both legal and logical, it doesn't feel right to celebrate people for destroying a damaged American economy buying insurance on something they didn't actually own (i.e., straight up gambling). 

The book and movie fail to mention that the heroes, while upright and non-fraudulent, made America much worse because our system allows financial instruments with such potential leverage and moral hazard.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 11:48:30 PM »

Bernie must be dull as hell in his personally life. He literally isn't interested in anything that's not directly related to economics.

It actually wasn't economics that first got Bernie interested in politics. It was the fact that a political party resulted in his father's family all being killed that first got him interested in politics.

Stop. This isn't even a criticism of Sanders' politics, it's a criticism of him being a dull person, which he is. Are you this obsessed with Sanders that you can't fathom anybody insulting him?

Yeah, c'mon, Jfern, I'm all aboard the Sanders choo-choo as well but don't tell me you believe that obviously canned line about the Holocaust.

Also, he's reportedly and very believably an unpleasantly all-business person behind the scenes who runs through staffers like old diapers:  http://www.celebritytypes.com/quotes/bernie-sanders.php

(NONE of which matters, of course, because he's by far the best choice on policy goals and record)
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 06:44:47 PM »

BTW I have never heard Sanders say that the Big short is his favorite movie, he just said it's an excellent one - The one compiling probably added that because it is convenient.

Bernie did cameo roles in a couple of movies I think.

You may be thinking of the other senator from Vermont who makes routine cameo appearances in Batman films. (Seriously)

I'm a big fan of how Patrick Leahy's Dark Knight cameo gets repurposed in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzcxBWlfkII
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies