Theory of justice: Rawls or Nozick
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:58:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Theory of justice: Rawls or Nozick
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: to which of these two theories of justice, do you most subscribe?
Rawls (D)

Nozick (D)

Rawls (R)

Nozick (R)

Rawls (I)

Nozick (I)

Rawls (L)

Nozick (L)

Rawls (O)

Nozick (O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Theory of justice: Rawls or Nozick  (Read 22361 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2005, 07:59:08 AM »

Two of the most eminent US political philosophers of the late twentieth century are John Rawls (b.1921) and Robert Nozick (b.1938). With who's theory of justice do you most subscribe?

Rawls

Rawls' major philosophical work is 'A Theory of Justice' (1971), which has helped to shape both modern liberal and social democratic concepts of social justice. He employs the device of the social contract to develop an ethical theory, which represents an alternative to utilitarianism. By providing a justification for the redistribtution of wealth based on individualist assumptions, he has influenced both liberal and social democratic thought. Essentially, Rawls proposed a theory of 'justice as fairness', which is based on the maintenance of two core principles:

1) Each person is to have an equal right to the most extensiive liberty compatible with a similar liberty for others (this principle reflects a traditional liberal commitment to formal equality)
2) Social and economic inequalities are to be arranged so that they are both (a) to the greatest benefit of the least advantaged; and (B) attached to positions and offices open to all under conditions of fair equality of opportunity (this so-called 'difference principle) points towards a significant measure of social inequality

However, by no means, does Rawls' theory justify absolute social equality since he fully acknowledges the importance of material inequality as economic incentive; however, for him, material inequalities are only justifiable when they work to the advantage of the least well-off. Rawls' position is compatible with a market economy in which wealth is redistributed through the tax and welfare system up to the point that this becomes a disincentive to enterprise and so disadvantages even the poor. Rawls' egalitarianism is based on a kind of social contract theory rather than any evaluation of objective human needs, in that he starts out by making traditionally liberal assumptions about human nature, believing individuals to be rationally self-interested, but concludes that a broadly egalitarian distributution of wealth is what most people would regard as 'fair'

Nozick

Nozick's major philosophical work is 'Anarchy, State and Utopia' (1974) in which he develops a form of libertarianism close to Locke's and clearly influenced by the American individualists of the nineteenth century, like Spooner and Tucker. He firmly rejects the welfarist beliefs of modern liberalism but, by endorsing a minimal state, stopped short of anarcho-capitalism. His work has has a profound effect upon New Right theories and beliefs. In rejecting a needs-based principle of justice and any presumption in favour of equality, Nozick championed a principle of justice based upon the idea of 'rights', 'entitlements' or, in some cases, 'deserts'. This built on a traditon of distributive thought dating back to Plato and Aristotle, which suggests material benefits should in some way correspond to personal 'worth'. This formed the cornerstone of the classical liberal concept of social justice as espoused by Locke and Hume; thus, the principle of 'rights' serves as the basis for a liberal principle of justice. According to the rights view, material inequality is only justified if talents and willingness to work are unequally distributed among humankind

Nozick distinguished between historical principles of justice and end-state principles and, in his view, end-state principles like social equality and human needs are irrelevant to the justification of rewards. His objective was to identify a set of historical principles through which we can determine if a particular distribution of wealth is just and he suggested three 'justice preserving' rules:

1) Wealth has to be justly acquired in the first place, that is, it should not have been stolen and the rights of others should not have been infringed
2) Wealth has to be justly transferred from one responsible person to another
3) If wealth has been acquired or transferred unjustly this injustice should be rectified

For Nozick, these rules can be used to justify gross inequalities in the distribution of wealth an rewards and he rejects absolutely the idea that there is a moral basis for redistributing wealth in the name of equality or 'social justice' - a term, which he, and most other libertarians theorists, are deeply suspicious. The only means by which wealth should be transferred from rich to poor is through private acts of charity rather than through any moral obligations. However, Nozick's third principle - the 'rectification principle' could have dramatically egalitarian implications, especially of the origin of personal wealth lies in acts of duplicity or corruption, as well as calling into question that portion of wealth, which the industrialised West derived from the conquest, plunder and enslavement in Africa, Asia and Latin America

Well then ....

Dave

P.S. I subscribe mostly to Rawls
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 10:28:29 AM »

Rawls
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 10:35:12 AM »

Take a guess.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 10:46:23 AM »

Certainly Rawls.

But I think "Anarchy, State, and Utopia" is the most well-written book of philosophy I have ever read.  I was actually taking a class from Robert Nozick shortly before he became ill; he was a brilliant and very entertaining teacher.  Unfortunately, the class had to be cancelled after a few weeks due to his illness.  Rawls was also still alive when I was in college, but had long since stopped teaching.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 11:52:17 AM »

John, I thought that while I was making the options. I guess I can't really expect libertarians to favour Rawls over Nozick

Surprisingly, I don't dismiss Nozick completely and agree, in theory, that wealth should be justly acquired but, neo-liberal capitalist excesses, have led me to firmly favour Rawls. I'm very much a new liberal when it comes to economics

Dave
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 12:04:19 PM »

I tend to be suspicious of a philosophy that entirely ends- or means- based, so I'll have to go with Rawls.

NickG- which school did you go to?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 12:51:43 PM »

One would assume Havard as both Nozick and Rawls taught there.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 12:57:33 PM »

One would assume Havard as both Nozick and Rawls taught there.

If so, quite impressive.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 12:59:53 PM »

I tend to be suspicious of a philosophy that entirely ends- or means- based, so I'll have to go with Rawls.

I went to Harvard, class of 2001.
Currently in Law School at Georgetown, will be class of 2006.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 01:04:51 PM »

1) Each person is to have an equal right to the most extensiive liberty compatible with a similar liberty for others (this principle reflects a traditional liberal commitment to formal equality)
2) Social and economic inequalities are to be arranged so that they are both (a) to the greatest benefit of the least advantaged; and (B) attached to positions and offices open to all under conditions of fair equality of opportunity (this so-called 'difference principle) points towards a significant measure of social inequality
I would agree with Rawls on (1), but not on (2). In my opinion, principle (1) should apply to economic situations as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies