Vice presidential speculation megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:24:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Vice presidential speculation megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Vice presidential speculation megathread  (Read 1039 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2016, 04:26:14 PM »

It was suggested by Beef in the Jeff Merkley thread that there should be a megathread for all speculation about potential vice presidential nominees. So, this is a thread for suggestions, thoughts, rumors and the like about who the choices will be for the 48th Vice President of the United States.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 04:45:28 PM »

Scott Brown is perfect for all three of the Republicans left. He rallies Trump and Kasich types, uniting that branch, which is crucial for all three of them.

Ron Wyden and Al Franken seem like the best choices for Hillary. I think Evan Bayh or Martin O'Malley would be good picks for Sanders.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 04:48:29 PM »

Kasich
Kaine
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 04:49:34 PM »

ok so let me save you some time and just speculate every sitting US Senator and Governor
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 04:52:19 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2016, 04:55:02 PM by Vosem »

Thing is, Cruz/Brown is a ticket whose total experience is 7 years in the Senate. That's...not a lot.

Cruz needs a governor or a prominent businessman/military type. Walker and Haley are the two most logical choices if he decides to go the first route, with Mitch Daniels or John Kasich being dark horses if they really want it. (Tim Pawlenty, who's already been vetted twice, might've been very logical, but he's moved on to lobbying, so probably not; Brian Sandoval might be too moderate, and there'd be visible disagreements between the top and bottom of the ticket). James Mattis, a retired general who is also renowned for speaking his mind, might be an effective way of appealing to trump folks without alienating everyone else (or Stanley McChrystal could serve basically the same function). Not sure who a choice from the business world would be -- the only names coming to mind are Carly Fiorina and Meg Whitman, who both have very obvious problems.

EDIT: McChrystal has a history of endorsing congressional Democrats and speaking out in favor of gun control (apparently, he was involved in Seth Moulton's 2014 campaign) -- as trump showed, this doesn't necessarily have to be a deal-breaker, but I'm inclined to think for Ted Cruz it would be.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »

ok so let me save you some time and just speculate every sitting US Senator and Governor
Also, US Rep.'s, all Cabinet secretaries, and all Mayors of the top ten cities over the last twenty years.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 05:05:19 PM »

Also, US Rep.'s, all Cabinet secretaries, and all Mayors of the top ten cities over the last twenty years.

Don't forget Lieutenant Governors, since Gavin Newsom inexplicably gets brought up often in these discussions.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 05:12:42 PM »

Scott Brown is perfect for all three of the Republicans left. He rallies Trump and Kasich types, uniting that branch, which is crucial for all three of them.

Ron Wyden and Al Franken seem like the best choices for Hillary. I think Evan Bayh or Martin O'Malley would be good picks for Sanders.

Brown? A pro-choice former half-term Senator from a non-swing state? (Although I guess he's from New Hampshire nowadays, but I'm not sure how much power that has when he lost his only election there.)

Also I think Hillary needs to pick someone under 60. While I think the Democrats are very much favorites to win, running a senior citizen ticket won't do them any favors.
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 05:15:47 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2016, 05:20:55 PM by standwrand »

but seriously though,

Dems:
Warren
Donnelly
Perez
Castro
O'Malley
Booker
Kaine
Bayh
Warner
Gabbard
Dayton
Brown
Ryan
Franken

Repubs:
Haley
Rubio
Kasich
Daniels
Mattis
Fiorina
Earnst
Martinez
Rice
Guiliani
Portman
Love
Perry
Scott
Sessions
Walker
Bush
Sandoval
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 05:41:03 PM »

General Woundwort of the Efrafa Warren would be a great VP pick for Trump: military experience.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 05:44:27 PM »

I would say every sitting (and recent) Governor or Senator under the age of 70 (maybe 75) who is fairly popular, isn't facing a major scandal, holds the right position on abortion, and isn't otherwise too far apart ideologically from the party is somewhat eligible. Particularly prominent Cabinet Secretaries, Generals, and members of the House who have the right characteristics also make the long list.

For Democrats, I think the nominee pretty much has to be under the age of 65 (preferably under 60) and from outside the Northeast. For Clinton, I think her VP probably has to be a guy, since many voters are probably too sexist to vote for an all-women ticket.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »

i maintain that drumpf's perfect vp candidate would be joni ernst, a female veteran from a swing state who is considered an outsider but does not totally lack experience/legitimacy.

cruz, on the other hand, would be likely imo to pick a running mate from within the establishment, given what his path to the nomination would look like. probably nobody really moderate, but a mainstream republican like chris christie, or john thune. rubio is also a possibility. if he does venture outside of those bounds, it'd be mia love or a different token woman/minority.

clinton or sanders would likely pick someone incredibly boring (kaine, warner, …)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 06:12:49 PM »

John Thune for the Republicans. Safest choice available. If he was the top of the ticket, Hillary Clinton would be in big trouble nationally. Safe. Comes from Midwest. Could unite the party.

Tim Kaine for the Democrats. Moderate. Safe. From swing state. Virginia. Ready to be president on Day 1.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 06:13:15 PM »

i maintain that drumpf's perfect vp candidate would be joni ernst, a female veteran from a swing state who is considered an outsider but does not totally lack experience/legitimacy.

cruz, on the other hand, would be likely imo to pick a running mate from within the establishment, given what his path to the nomination would look like. probably nobody really moderate, but a mainstream republican like chris christie, or john thune. rubio is also a possibility. if he does venture outside of those bounds, it'd be mia love or a different token woman/minority.

clinton or sanders would likely pick someone incredibly boring (kaine, warner, …)

Boring may be good.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 06:25:20 PM »

The chance of Cruz picking a trump-supporter who is very personally unpopular his own home non-swing state is basically zero. Christie is probably done with politics after 2017, though he perhaps has a chance at a Cabinet appointment in some future administration someday (though he bet on the wrong horse, both for 2016 and in the long-term).
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 12:29:24 AM »

I'm hoping and praying that Clinton will go for Franken if Trump is nominated. I can't think of any better way to counter Trump's bluster than with a comedian.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 12:34:48 AM »

Personally, this is what I'm hoping for:

For President Hillary Clinton, a Vice President:
1. Ed Rendell (safe pick)
2. Tammy Baldwin (game-changer/risky pick)
3. Tom Perez (safe pick)

For Donald J. Trump, a Vice President:
1. Sarah Palin
2. Michele Bachmann
3. Sharron Angle
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 12:58:37 AM »

If Trump picks Sharron Angle, I would have doubts that he could hit 40% nationally.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 04:59:55 AM »

The picks I'd most like to see (saying nothing about who's actually at the top of the ticket, whether these folks would be interested in the VP spot, etc.):

GOP
Condoleezza Rice
Nikki Haley
Rudy Giuliani
Joni Ernst

Dem
Sherrod Brown
Julian Castro
Tom Perez
Elizabeth Warren
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 07:58:18 AM »

I can't think of a better running mate for Donald Trump than Mitch Daniels:

1. Serious governmental and executive credentials.
2. He's no-nonsense, adds gravitas and respectability.
3. He's a true conservative, balanced Indiana's budget, cut taxes, cut bureaucracy, made state agencies run more smoothly.
4. He's BORING, so he won't overshadow Trump's massive personality.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 08:00:01 AM »

The picks I'd most like to see (saying nothing about who's actually at the top of the ticket, whether these folks would be interested in the VP spot, etc.):

GOP
Condoleezza Rice
Nikki Haley
Rudy Giuliani
Joni Ernst

The GOP is not nominating a pro-choice candidate. Period.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 08:01:07 AM »

Addendum to above: Mitch Daniels is not in a million years going to run for Vice President.  I'm just saying he would be a perfect choice for Donald Trump.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 04:51:50 PM »

What are the chances that, if Trump somehow secures the Republican nomination, Hillary decides to target "establishment" Republicans  and goes with some theoretically moderate but well known GOP figure for VP (Hunstman, or even Rice, as hypotheticals)?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 04:53:22 PM »

What are the chances that, if Trump somehow secures the Republican nomination, Hillary decides to target "establishment" Republicans  and goes with some theoretically moderate but well known GOP figure for VP (Hunstman, or even Rice, as hypotheticals)?

Near 0; she'd win some Republicans, but lose the Sandernistas.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 04:56:36 PM »

Near 0; she'd win some Republicans, but lose the Sandernistas.

Because the Sandernistas are big in states like GA, NC, FL, MO, IN, VA, and etc.?

Someone like Scott Brown if Ted Cruz is nominated seems most likely to me. Of course, Brown probably wouldn't accept. Maybe Powell?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies