Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:27:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 91
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 180145 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: July 03, 2016, 07:21:33 PM »

So, regarding that July 15th deadline...I'll spare you all the burden of having to look up a calendar, but that's next week Friday--the Friday before the convention.  So if Trump is picking Pence as his running mate, then he needs to announce it before next week Thursday.

And I'd assume that if Trump does pick him, then Pence will indeed drop out of his reelection race in order to run for veep.  If he wasn't willing to do that, then he would have told Trump already that he wasn't interested.  No reason to string him along like this if he won't take the job.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1076 on: July 03, 2016, 07:23:37 PM »

Presumably Greg Ballard or Susan Brooks would run unless Mitch Daniels found someone willing to run. Unless someone belonging to either the Lugar-Ballard faction or Daniels faction ran, I think Hill would beat the "emergency" nominee.

Gregg is the D governor candidate. Hill is preparing to lose the senate race to Young.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1077 on: July 03, 2016, 08:20:58 PM »

Becerra's also dodging the question about whether he's being vetted:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2016/07/03/becerra-dodges-vp-question-calls-lynch-clinton-meeting-chance-encounter-that/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
kyc0705

« Reply #1078 on: July 03, 2016, 08:42:18 PM »

I have wondered as to whether Hillary would select Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME).  Collins has stated that she would not endorse Trump until she sees what happens at the convention.  I read this along the lines of Democratic Senators Robert Byrd, Herman Talmadge, Warren Magunson, Russell Long, and Joseph Montoya in 1972; they all told Democrat-for-Nixon Bruce Smathers that they were not happy with the McGovern endorsement and were looking for a way to avoid endorsing him.  That's where Collins is at, IMO.

If Hillary offered Collins the VP slot, I see no way she could refuse.  It would be a historic pick, and it would be such a coup that the Sanderistas couldn't credibly complain.  Collins is a moderate, and her switch to the Democrats would be credible.  Such a pick might have the effect of a lot of #NeverTrump moderates actually vote for Hillary, and not just abstain, or vote third party. 

Collins would very much be a Hail Mary pass for the Clinton campaign, I think. They'll want to be safer and more conventional, no matter how out-of-style that's been this election.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1079 on: July 03, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »

Pence’s latest public comments on the veep discussion:

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/pence-on-trump-meeting-nothing-was-offered-nothing-was-accepted

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1080 on: July 03, 2016, 10:47:24 PM »

Gingrich, in Aspen, is asked about the criticism he levelled against Trump a few weeks ago over Curiel:

http://www.wisn.com/gingrich-no-evidence-trump-is-racist/40335030

He stands by his assertion that Trump's comments on Curiel were "inappropriate", but says he doesn't think Trump's a racist, and that people should cut him some slack because he's new to politics.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1081 on: July 04, 2016, 02:20:42 AM »

My thoughts:

I'd go with Sessions *because* he is kinda plain. Trump is too much of a showman himself. It's all about Trump.

I say Becerra for Clinton's Veep, but he doesn't seem to be in the shortlist. In second, I'd go with Kaine. Dem governor in VA, Kaine is pretty establishment, and he speaks Spanish. At this point, I think it will be Kaine. Becerra would've been a fine pick though.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1082 on: July 04, 2016, 02:34:56 AM »

Incidentally, as that story notes, Clinton met with Hickenlooper on Tuesday.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1083 on: July 04, 2016, 02:43:21 AM »

Trump will be in Indiana on July 12, three days before Pence's deadline, for a fundraising trip:

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2016/07/03/latest-trump-pence-and-possible-vice-presidency/86657354/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1084 on: July 04, 2016, 09:24:15 AM »

Trump meeting with Ernst.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1085 on: July 04, 2016, 02:19:24 PM »

Maybe she can remind the demented old psychopath what the actual name of the EPA is.
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #1086 on: July 04, 2016, 03:16:58 PM »

Evil Promotion Authority? :-P
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1087 on: July 04, 2016, 03:29:48 PM »

Ernst has to be the dumbest choice Trump could make. Someone who's been a Senator for barely a year and a half, come on. If you really wanted a female nominee, I'd go with Mary Fallin. Can't pick Susana Martinez like everybody thought, because Trump already insulted her.

But it's the same reason I'm not keen on Cory Booker either. While she's vetting all the other candidates, I still think she'll pick Tim Kaine.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1088 on: July 04, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »

Ernst has to be the dumbest choice Trump could make. Someone who's been a Senator for barely a year and a half, come on. If you really wanted a female nominee, I'd go with Mary Fallin. Can't pick Susana Martinez like everybody thought, because Trump already insulted her.

But it's the same reason I'm not keen on Cory Booker either. While she's vetting all the other candidates, I still think she'll pick Tim Kaine.

Here is a statement from Ernst:

In short, Trump is just posturing.  Unless he can broker a last-minute peace treaty with the mainstream GOP, it will be Fallin.  And, yes, it will be Kaine for Hillary.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1089 on: July 04, 2016, 04:43:02 PM »

In short, Trump is just posturing.  Unless he can broker a last-minute peace treaty with the mainstream GOP, it will be Fallin.  And, yes, it will be Kaine for Hillary.

How do you get from this post it's Fallin, or (if I understand you) that his meeting with Ernst is just "posturing"?  Huh
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1090 on: July 04, 2016, 07:36:08 PM »

How do you get from this post it's Fallin, or (if I understand you) that his meeting with Ernst is just "posturing"?  Huh

Pardon me - I mixed up two separate statements. Fallin for VP is purely my prediction. The "Trump posturing" comment is meant for Ernst, based on her comments after the meeting. Her statement does not sound like something coming from a serious VP candidate.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1091 on: July 04, 2016, 09:02:04 PM »

In the last day or so, Trump has sent out complimentary tweets about Cotton, Ernst, and Pence:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/04/politics/donald-trump-tweets-fuel-vice-president-picks-speculation/
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-teases-updates-vp-search/story?id=40325942

That said, Cotton doesn’t sound terribly eager for the job, given this response:

Meanwhile, Gingrich in Aspen says he hasn’t talked to Trump specifically about the VP job:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/vp-watch-july-4-2016-n603616

Finally, apparently Joni Ernst rides a motorcycle, so maybe that’ll come in handy:

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1092 on: July 05, 2016, 01:44:01 AM »

Presumably Greg Ballard or Susan Brooks would run unless Mitch Daniels found someone willing to run. Unless someone belonging to either the Lugar-Ballard faction or Daniels faction ran, I think Gregg would beat the "emergency" nominee.

Or maybe Stutzman for Governor.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1093 on: July 05, 2016, 01:49:37 AM »

Corker will campaign with Trump in North Carolina on Tuesday:

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/750129200053510144
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1094 on: July 05, 2016, 06:08:52 AM »

Here is more on Cotton trying to dodge the question on why Trump should be president:

link

Given the extent to which he's trying to play both sides of the Trump division in the GOP, I don't see him as being that likely to take the job of Trump running mate, if it were offered.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1095 on: July 05, 2016, 02:10:35 PM »

Apparently Gingrich will be joining Trump tomorrow night at the Cincinnati rally. Hmmmmmmm
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1096 on: July 05, 2016, 02:15:31 PM »

I hope not. I want Pence or Ernst.
JMT

« Reply #1097 on: July 05, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »

Apparently Gingrich will be joining Trump tomorrow night at the Cincinnati rally. Hmmmmmmm

Source?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1098 on: July 05, 2016, 02:30:40 PM »

Gingrinch would be awesome.  That would six wives and plenty of adultery  between the two of them.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1099 on: July 05, 2016, 02:30:49 PM »

Source?

http://q13fox.com/2016/07/05/trump-vp-search-enters-home-stretch-as-pick-likely-next-week/
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies