Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:15:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 91
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 180031 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: July 06, 2016, 01:05:15 PM »

Deirdre Walsh ✔ @deirdrewalshcnn
Corker tells @mkraju he's withdrawing from Trump's VP consideration & adds: "His best running mate, by the way, would be Ivanka"
12:52 PM - 6 Jul 2016

I tend to agree with Corker on this...either Ivanka or her husband Jared Kushner would be better for Trump than, say, Newt Gingrich would be.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1126 on: July 06, 2016, 01:07:26 PM »

Corker tells @mkraju he's withdrawing from Trump's VP consideration & adds: "His best running mate, by the way, would be Ivanka"

I tend to agree with Corker on this...either Ivanka or her husband Jared Kushner would be better for Trump than, say, Newt Gingrich would be.
Jared Kushner would be amazing. I'd definitely watch his Vice Presidential debate.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #1127 on: July 06, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »

Corker throwing shade!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1128 on: July 06, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »

Sad! Corker is a fine guy. Now I have to change my signature once again.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1129 on: July 06, 2016, 02:21:04 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2016/07/06/ernst-withdraws-trumps-vp-search-endorses-pence/86763210/
dspNY
United States

« Reply #1130 on: July 06, 2016, 02:23:04 PM »

Pence probably wants to run himself in 2020 so I think he stays away from the Trump Trainwreck
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #1131 on: July 06, 2016, 02:24:02 PM »

Corker is too short for a Trump VP anyway.

Is there any pathetic statement you aren't willing to pollute this forum with?

Just telling it like it is.

It's your problem you can't handle the truth.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #1132 on: July 06, 2016, 02:25:57 PM »

I think it's down to Sessions, Fallin, Newt and Christie for Trump

The first two (Sessions and Fallin) are from two of the very small handful of states in the country (maybe 10) where Trump has a positive approval rating.

The last two (Newt and Christie) are already politically dead so they have nothing to lose by being Trump's VP
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #1133 on: July 06, 2016, 02:56:23 PM »

Fox News reports that 10 names are still on the table for Trump following Corkers withdrawal
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #1134 on: July 06, 2016, 02:58:14 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/06/trump-says-10-vice-presidential-picks-waiting-to-be-vetted.html 10 are " waiting to be vetted "
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1135 on: July 06, 2016, 03:09:25 PM »

I hope this is Fox's mistake because nobody has been vetted yet? Yeesh what a miserable procrastinator.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1136 on: July 06, 2016, 03:35:47 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2016, 03:38:45 PM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

So, does anyone know when Trump is going to announce who he picked?

EDIT: I meant picked.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1137 on: July 06, 2016, 03:36:57 PM »

So, does anyone know when Trump is going to announce who he licked?
You might want to fix that typo. Tongue
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1138 on: July 06, 2016, 03:37:12 PM »

Is he going to pull a McCain and not actually vet anyone?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1139 on: July 06, 2016, 03:48:57 PM »

EDIT: I meant picked.

Word is next week, possibly the 15th.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #1140 on: July 06, 2016, 04:02:47 PM »

Too bad about Corker.

Likely SecState nominee if Trump wins
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1141 on: July 06, 2016, 04:39:31 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2016, 05:39:59 PM by Mr. Morden »

Pence has until noon on the 15th (which is next week Friday...earlier I erroneously said it was Thursday, but it's Friday) to withdraw from the governor's race.  Since it sounds like Pence is one of the finalists, I assume Trump will decide before then.  My guess is any time between Monday and Thursday of next week.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1142 on: July 06, 2016, 04:55:33 PM »

She must really hate Pence.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #1143 on: July 06, 2016, 05:22:45 PM »

Pence has until noon on the 15th (which is next week Friday...earlier I erroneously said it was Thursday, but it's Friday) to withdraw from the governor's race.  Since it sounds like Pence is one of the finalists, I assume Trump will decided before then.  My guess is any time between Monday and Thursday of next week.

Highly unlikely Pence leaves the governor's mansion in Indiana where he will likely win for an almost hopeless VP run where he loses that governor's post
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1144 on: July 06, 2016, 05:42:30 PM »

Pence has until noon on the 15th (which is next week Friday...earlier I erroneously said it was Thursday, but it's Friday) to withdraw from the governor's race.  Since it sounds like Pence is one of the finalists, I assume Trump will decided before then.  My guess is any time between Monday and Thursday of next week.

Highly unlikely Pence leaves the governor's mansion in Indiana where he will likely win for an almost hopeless VP run where he loses that governor's post

But he has to be at least strongly considering it, no?  Otherwise, what is the point of stringing the Trump people along like this?  If he had no intention of leaving the governor's mansion, he could have just told them that he's not interested, as so many other potential veep candidates have done.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #1145 on: July 06, 2016, 05:47:47 PM »

But he has to be at least strongly considering it, no?  Otherwise, what is the point of stringing the Trump people along like this?  If he had no intention of leaving the governor's mansion, he could have just told them that he's not interested, as so many other potential veep candidates have done.

I can't imagine it makes any sense at all for Pence. He has to know that Trump is hopeless and he'd have a better shot of running for President himself next cycle. Unless Pence is a true believer or is in a terrible position for reelection as governor, there's no way he'd logically want it and ruin his career
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1146 on: July 06, 2016, 06:43:45 PM »

I can't imagine it makes any sense at all for Pence. He has to know that Trump is hopeless and he'd have a better shot of running for President himself next cycle. Unless Pence is a true believer or is in a terrible position for reelection as governor, there's no way he'd logically want it and ruin his career

One:  Trump is not hopeless; he's an underdog.

Two:  If Pence takes it and Trump is elected, he'd be VP and a likely GOP Presidential nominee one day.

Three:  If Pence takes it, and Trump does better than expected, Pence may get a lion's share of the credit for that.  He'll be in the position in 2020 that Ed Muskie was in for the Democrats in 1972.  That Muskie botched the 1972 campaign is another story; but he was the presumptive front-runner from the Democrats from November, 1968 through New Hampshire in 1972 (and even there, Muskie at least won the primary). 

If Pence takes the position and does well, he'll leapfrog over the rest of the GOP field for 2020 if Trump loses.  If, however, he conspicuously refuses and Trump's losses seep down-ballot at a large level, Pence may well be seen as a guy who could have made it less worse.  Besides, what does Pence have to gain by another 4 years as Indiana Governor, compared to being a VP nominee?

I think Pence would be foolish to refuse if he wants to be President someday.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1147 on: July 06, 2016, 06:44:21 PM »

Most politicians are incredible narcissists.  Pence might well believe that even if Trump loses, he could be a contender in 2020, and that running on a national ticket this time could give him the name ID boost he needs to launch him onto the national stage.  I think that would be a smart calculation (that even running for VP on a losing ticket could be a net plus for future prospects) if Trump was a "normal" candidate, but it's problematic in the case of a Trump ticket, since he runs the risk of dragging down everyone associated with him.  But again, politicians are narcissists, so maybe Pence thinks that he's so awesome that voters will be impressed with him even if they don't like Trump.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1148 on: July 06, 2016, 06:45:28 PM »

But again, politicians are narcissists, so maybe Pence thinks that he's so awesome that voters will be impressed with him even if they don't like Trump.
Pence is a great guy, and I think people will like him. Conservatives already love him.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1149 on: July 06, 2016, 06:59:29 PM »

But again, politicians are narcissists, so maybe Pence thinks that he's so awesome that voters will be impressed with him even if they don't like Trump.
Pence is a great guy, and I think people will like him. Conservatives already love him.

Pence also has the benefit of having not made statements about Trump he would have to walk back if tapped as VP.  A lot of folks don't see how bad it would be to pick someone who reamed Trump not long ago.  I put Corker in that category; his criticisms of Trump are things that would have come back to haunt him if he had been tapped as VP.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies