Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:52:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 91
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 180057 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: July 06, 2016, 07:01:15 PM »

But again, politicians are narcissists, so maybe Pence thinks that he's so awesome that voters will be impressed with him even if they don't like Trump.
Pence is a great guy, and I think people will like him. Conservatives already love him.

Because as we all know, who conservatives love and who the entire country loves overlaps perfectly!

Apparently Indiana doesn't love him very much, considering he vastly underperformed Romney in 2012.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1151 on: July 06, 2016, 07:05:21 PM »

But again, politicians are narcissists, so maybe Pence thinks that he's so awesome that voters will be impressed with him even if they don't like Trump.
Pence is a great guy, and I think people will like him. Conservatives already love him.

Because as we all know, who conservatives love and who the entire country loves overlaps perfectly!
The country loved W and the Gipper.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1152 on: July 06, 2016, 07:06:36 PM »

I think it is smart for Pence to play along and ultimately not be selected. Come 2020, Big Don's supporters will know Pence as "the guy who Big Don almost picked," which will start him out in their good graces. Despite the LGBTQ+ blunder, he's been a decent governor and has executive and legislative experience, which is a nice plus. I've never been a huge fan, but he could be a real contender in 2020.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1153 on: July 06, 2016, 07:35:18 PM »

The country loved W and the Gipper.

I beg to differ.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #1154 on: July 06, 2016, 07:45:50 PM »

Anyone else think Trump will maybe pick another outsider?

Like a surprise pick to build up excitement?

*Larry Ellis, retired United States Army general, who served as the Commander of U.S. Army Forces Command from November 19, 2001 until 2004.
*Carlos Gutierrez, former Commerce Secy and Kellogg CEO
*Margaret Spellings, former Education Secy
*JC Watts?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1155 on: July 06, 2016, 08:20:35 PM »

Anyone else think Trump will maybe pick another outsider?

Like a surprise pick to build up excitement?

*Larry Ellis, retired United States Army general, who served as the Commander of U.S. Army Forces Command from November 19, 2001 until 2004.
*Carlos Gutierrez, former Commerce Secy and Kellogg CEO
*Margaret Spellings, former Education Secy
*JC Watts?

J. C. Watts is #NeverTrump.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1156 on: July 06, 2016, 09:24:10 PM »

While I still believe that Fallin would be the best currently available Trump pick, I am beginning to think that Pence may be a real contender. I agree with Fuzzy Bear that, for Pence, this is a relatively small risk, for a potentially big reward. Besides, if he loses, how bad would that be? He comes from a GOP state and he would be seen by voters, as the voice of reason on the ticket. If they lose, he could always run for Senate or join the private sector. He.k, he might even get a job offer at TrumpCo Smiley.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1157 on: July 06, 2016, 10:34:04 PM »

So, does anyone know when Trump is going to announce who he picked?

Pence has until noon on the 15th (which is next week Friday...earlier I erroneously said it was Thursday, but it's Friday) to withdraw from the governor's race.  Since it sounds like Pence is one of the finalists, I assume Trump will decided before then.  My guess is any time between Monday and Thursday of next week.

Highly unlikely Pence leaves the governor's mansion in Indiana where he will likely win for an almost hopeless VP run where he loses that governor's post

But he has to be at least strongly considering it, no?  Otherwise, what is the point of stringing the Trump people along like this?  If he had no intention of leaving the governor's mansion, he could have just told them that he's not interested, as so many other potential veep candidates have done.

I can't imagine it makes any sense at all for Pence. He has to know that Trump is hopeless and he'd have a better shot of running for President himself next cycle. Unless Pence is a true believer or is in a terrible position for reelection as governor, there's no way he'd logically want it and ruin his career

One:  Trump is not hopeless; he's an underdog.

Two:  If Pence takes it and Trump is elected, he'd be VP and a likely GOP Presidential nominee one day.

Three:  If Pence takes it, and Trump does better than expected, Pence may get a lion's share of the credit for that.  He'll be in the position in 2020 that Ed Muskie was in for the Democrats in 1972.  That Muskie botched the 1972 campaign is another story; but he was the presumptive front-runner from the Democrats from November, 1968 through New Hampshire in 1972 (and even there, Muskie at least won the primary). 

If Pence takes the position and does well, he'll leapfrog over the rest of the GOP field for 2020 if Trump loses.  If, however, he conspicuously refuses and Trump's losses seep down-ballot at a large level, Pence may well be seen as a guy who could have made it less worse.  Besides, what does Pence have to gain by another 4 years as Indiana Governor, compared to being a VP nominee?

I think Pence would be foolish to refuse if he wants to be President someday.

Correct answers all around.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1158 on: July 07, 2016, 12:45:56 AM »

From Sopan Deb’s Twitter…even though Trump had previously said that the short list only had about 5 names on it, now he’s talking about 10 (unclear if he counts Corker and Ernst among those 10 or not)….with 2 of them being generals:

And on Gingrich:

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/750829471717031936

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1159 on: July 07, 2016, 12:55:36 AM »

Flynn seems to be sucking up to Trump by going after Clinton on the emails:

https://twitter.com/GenFlynn/status/750362249877790720
https://twitter.com/GenFlynn/status/750378151969185792

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1160 on: July 07, 2016, 01:07:31 AM »

On Tuesday, they talked about the veepstakes on WADR:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/videos/2016-07-05/veepstakes-season-hits-home-stretch-as-conventions-loom

On the Republican side, they said that it sounds like the list had expanded recently because many of the new people hired onto the Trump campaign in recent weeks (in the wake of Lewandowski’s firing) weren’t happy with the existing list, and that’s why Ernst and Pence were added into consideration.

Halperin even says that one source in Trump’s orbit told him that Trump has been talked out of picking Gingrich, and that he’ll find another role for Gingrich.  Whether that’s true or just spin…who knows.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #1161 on: July 07, 2016, 02:01:38 AM »

So Corker recommended Ivanka Trump as VP today.

And something completely anecdotal - a guy on another forum I frequent used to work on the Cruz campaign, and one of the people he got to know there now does polling for Trump. This Trump guy is apparently saying that they're going to be polling a Donald/Ivanka ticket tomorrow.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1162 on: July 07, 2016, 02:05:02 AM »

And something completely anecdotal - a guy on another forum I frequent used to work on the Cruz campaign, and one of the people he got to know there now does polling for Trump. This Trump guy is apparently saying that they're going to be polling a Donald/Ivanka ticket tomorrow.

Is she even qualified for the VP position? She's 34.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #1163 on: July 07, 2016, 02:17:23 AM »

According to Wikipedia she'll turn 35 on October 30. I wouldn't be shocked by anything Trump does at this point.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1164 on: July 07, 2016, 02:17:59 AM »

Her birthday is October 30th, so yeah, she's qualified. Barely.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1165 on: July 07, 2016, 03:08:24 AM »

Thank you, Twatter, for raising the level of political discourse to new heights.

#pantsburnlegwound
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1166 on: July 07, 2016, 06:19:56 AM »

If he picks Ivanka as his running mate, Trump is officially so far into the deep end that he might as well be in the Mariana Trench.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1167 on: July 07, 2016, 06:23:13 AM »

If he really did pick Ivanka (I don't think he will, but let's entertain the hypothetical), are the delegates really going to give her the nomination?  They don't have to go along with the person he picks, and many of the delegates are anti-Trump or Trump-ambivalent.  My guess is that they'd rebel if he tried something like that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1168 on: July 07, 2016, 07:32:31 AM »

An attempt to piece together Trump’s schedule for the next week:

Friday, July 8: campaign event in Miami: https://www.donaldjtrump.com/schedule

Saturday, July 9: fundraiser in New York: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/report-trump-to-attend-july-9-fundraiser-in-southampton-1.11997696

Sunday, July 10: ??
Monday, July 11: ??

Tuesday, July 12: fundraiser in Indiana: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/07/05/pence-trumps-vp-he-has-10-days-decide/86704444/
(Also, Loretta Lynch will testify about the Clinton email decision before the House Judiciary Committee on July 12th, and I’d assume the Trump people wouldn’t want to step on that news.)

Wednesday, July 13: fundraisers in San Diego: http://www.10news.com/news/doanld-trump-fundraiser-set-for-july-13-in-rancho-santa-fe-hillary-clinton-raising-funds-in-la-062816
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jun/22/trump-pickens-craig-rnc-cliburn-piano/

Thursday, July 14: fundraiser in Los Angeles: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-trailguide-updates-trump-plans-fundraiser-in-bel-1467751347-htmlstory.html

Friday, July 15: deadline for Pence to withdraw from reelection race

So the only actual campaign event I’m aware of is Miami on Friday of this week.  Everything else is fundraisers…which I’m assuming he could pull out of or reschedule if necessary.  But it seems like they tend to announce campaign events at the last minute, so there could easily be more.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1169 on: July 07, 2016, 07:55:16 AM »

If it is Ivanka, I'll point out that I predicted her back in February:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=230286.msg4933189#msg4933189
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1170 on: July 07, 2016, 08:39:54 AM »

Honestly, I doubt that the convention would accept Ivanka.

And by the way, is such a ticket even lawful? As far as I know, it is illegal to have direct relatives of the president in the administration. I think that was outlawed shortly after RFK left (who was, of course, appointed Attorney General by his brother). Or does this only apply to cabinet secretaries and not the VP?
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1171 on: July 07, 2016, 09:11:26 AM »

Another vote for Ivanka (albeit a biased one):

Eric Trump: Ivanka has my vote for VP

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/286804-eric-trump-ivanka-has-my-vote-for-vp
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1172 on: July 07, 2016, 09:22:31 AM »

And by the way, is such a ticket even lawful? As far as I know, it is illegal to have direct relatives of the president in the administration. I think that was outlawed shortly after RFK left (who was, of course, appointed Attorney General by his brother). Or does this only apply to cabinet secretaries and not the VP?

It only applies to appointments.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #1173 on: July 07, 2016, 09:46:18 AM »

Of course you'd have the problem of both Donald and Ivanka residing in New York. Not really an issue since Trump won't win New York, but he supposedly really thinks he'll win New York, so that'd have to be a consideration.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1174 on: July 07, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »

Whole Ivanka thing just sounds like a desperate attempt to have someone sane on the ticket.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies