Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:50:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 91
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 180285 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: July 08, 2016, 05:46:07 AM »

While Trump is in Miami on Friday, he’ll be visiting Rick Scott’s home:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/vp-watch-latest-veepstakes-n605681

Scott has already said that he’s not interested, but I suppose there’s always some chance of bait and switch.

The same link talks about the Clinton veepstakes as well, noting that Kaine will campaign with Clinton on Thursday the 14th, when she’s in Virginia.  It’ll be their first time on the trail together since the Virginia primary.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1226 on: July 08, 2016, 09:21:14 AM »

While Trump is in Miami on Friday, he’ll be visiting Rick Scott’s home:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/vp-watch-latest-veepstakes-n605681

Scott has already said that he’s not interested, but I suppose there’s always some chance of bait and switch.

The same link talks about the Clinton veepstakes as well, noting that Kaine will campaign with Clinton on Thursday the 14th, when she’s in Virginia.  It’ll be their first time on the trail together since the Virginia primary.

Mr. Drumpf, please select this corrupt dude. A fraud/fraud ticket would make history!
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1227 on: July 08, 2016, 12:25:15 PM »

Politico Opinion Piece on Booker. Pretty critical of his time as Mayor.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/cory-booker-hillary-clinton-veep-newark-214030
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1228 on: July 08, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »

Whenever you see a hit piece going after a potential VP (especially in Politico) you have to wonder, where did this start?  It is quite likely that people from opposing potential VP pick's camps are leaking or pushing stories. So who wants to take down Booker? Same question for that article on Kaine's gifts (again also from Politico).  

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1229 on: July 08, 2016, 12:55:16 PM »

Alaska Senator Dan Sullivan as Trump's VP?  Probably not, but People Magazine claims he may be in the running. The Alaska Dispatch News reports that he has not met Trump (before perhaps today at the Senate Republican meeting), so I doubt it.

That story doesn't really seem to be based on anything though.  There's no "According to sources close to the campaign..." type of statement.  It just talks about what Sullivan might bring to the ticket, and suggests maybe Trump will decide to pick him based on that.  To be clear, Sullivan says that he has not been contacted by the Trump campaign:

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Alaska-Sen-Dan-Sullivan-says-Trump-has-not-contacted-him-about-being-veep-385937921.html

The orginial story was in People Magazine, which isn't exactly a paradigm of hard-hitting investigative journalism.  It's more the type of publication that prints stories from celebrity publicists verbatim without much fact checking.  The only question I have is who would have even approached People to get a little-known Senator's name in the running?  Sullivan's staff denies talking with People.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1230 on: July 08, 2016, 01:04:30 PM »

Alaska Senator Dan Sullivan as Trump's VP?  Probably not, but People Magazine claims he may be in the running. The Alaska Dispatch News reports that he has not met Trump (before perhaps today at the Senate Republican meeting), so I doubt it.

That story doesn't really seem to be based on anything though.  There's no "According to sources close to the campaign..." type of statement.  It just talks about what Sullivan might bring to the ticket, and suggests maybe Trump will decide to pick him based on that.  To be clear, Sullivan says that he has not been contacted by the Trump campaign:

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Alaska-Sen-Dan-Sullivan-says-Trump-has-not-contacted-him-about-being-veep-385937921.html

The orginial story was in People Magazine, which isn't exactly a paradigm of hard-hitting investigative journalism.  It's more the type of publication that prints stories from celebrity publicists verbatim without much fact checking.  The only question I have is who would have even approached People to get a little-known Senator's name in the running?  Sullivan's staff denies talking with People.

It's Trump. He had his people funnel down names like Sullivan to the tabloids he's been close with for decades in order to rile up more interest in the process and create further distractions.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #1231 on: July 08, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »

Vilsack would be a terrible choice. He's uninspiring, a terrible politician, makes pointless priorities, and among some of the few democrats whom I've refused to vote over the years when I lived in Iowa. (He was pretty much going to win so I voted green that year in protest of his poor management of the states educational system.) I was happy when Obama made him Agri Sec as it meant he'd not be screwing up elections in Iowa for a while.

He'd be a very disappointing and unwise choice.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1232 on: July 08, 2016, 03:42:38 PM »

Trump is holding a rally on Tuesday in Indiana. Don't get too excited, however:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/07/08/trump-planning-tuesday-rally-indiana-pence-vp-speculation-grows/86868500/
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1233 on: July 08, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »

Gingrich says normal white Americans don't understand being black in America.

Pandering, or pulling his name from consideration?  I really can't tell.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1234 on: July 08, 2016, 04:27:01 PM »

Sad that it's a statement anyone would actually take issue with.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1235 on: July 08, 2016, 04:39:44 PM »

Although I dislike Clinton, I have much respect for her not having Empty Suit Julian on her list.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1236 on: July 08, 2016, 04:52:32 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/07/07/ivanka-trump-vp-eric-trump-bob-corker/86794728/

Is this real?   Could Trump actually do this?   Will Trump actually do something like this?    Really??
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1237 on: July 08, 2016, 04:54:02 PM »

Could he? Yes. Would he? No. He has Sessions as an emergency pick.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1238 on: July 08, 2016, 04:54:19 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2016, 04:59:00 PM by ProudModerate2 »

If he does, he will most certainly lose.
It's just a bunch of stupid talk .... but then again, we are talking about donald trump.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1239 on: July 08, 2016, 05:31:41 PM »

http://m.kcra.com/politics/gingrich-normal-white-americans-dont-understand-being-black-in-america/40421782?utm_campaign=KCRA%203&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_source=Social

RIP Gingrich VP
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1240 on: July 08, 2016, 05:40:19 PM »

But also of note in that story:

They've also got some fun facts about Blackburn:

The story also suggests that the vetting of Christie is a charade being put on just to make sure he doesn't get embarrassed by being left off the short list:

LMFAO! Just when you thought Christie couldn't get more pathetic, he proves us wrong again!
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1241 on: July 08, 2016, 07:37:49 PM »

Vilsack would be a terrible choice. He's uninspiring, a terrible politician, makes pointless priorities, and among some of the few democrats whom I've refused to vote over the years when I lived in Iowa. (He was pretty much going to win so I voted green that year in protest of his poor management of the states educational system.) I was happy when Obama made him Agri Sec as it meant he'd not be screwing up elections in Iowa for a while.

He'd be a very disappointing and unwise choice.

Uninspiring my eye. I like Vilsack. Progressive voters are lazy. Who cares about excitement? Vilsack is qualified.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1242 on: July 08, 2016, 09:24:22 PM »

Maggie Haberban from the NYT again talks Trump VP on a podcast, this time CNN's The Axe Files. And again she says Gingrich is out and added that Newt confirmed to her that he was not being vetted. She said the names she continues to hear are Christie, Fallon, Sessions and Cotton.

On the Clinton side she said it doesnt look like Warren (for many reasons), and Tim Kaine is the favorite
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1243 on: July 08, 2016, 09:33:44 PM »

Maggie Haberban from the NYT again talks Trump VP on a podcast, this time CNN's The Axe Files. And again she says Gingrich is out and added that Newt confirmed to her that he was not being vetted. She said the names she continues to hear are Christie, Fallon, Sessions and Cotton.

On the Clinton side she said it doesnt look like Warren (for many reasons), and Tim Kaine is the favorite

I agree with her. Trump obviously does not want a "Cheney" (and Gingrich obviously sees himself in that role Smiley)- he is looking for a "Quayle". And while imho Kaine is a sure bet for Clinton, Fallin is the best pick of the "rest" for Trump.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1244 on: July 08, 2016, 09:42:34 PM »

I agree with her. Trump obviously does not want a "Cheney" (and Gingrich obviously sees himself in that role Smiley)- he is looking for a "Quayle". And while imho Kaine is a sure bet for Clinton, Fallin is the best pick of the "rest" for Trump.

Pence is actually a close second behind Gingrich on Betfair Exchange, FWIW.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1245 on: July 08, 2016, 09:50:54 PM »

Pence is actually a close second behind Gingrich on Betfair Exchange, FWIW.

Agreed - Pence should be on that list. I just think that having a non-threatening female, with some governing experience on the ticket would provide the best of both worlds for Trump. But we are talking about Trump - even Carl Icahn, Marco Rubio or Omarosa could still be plausible VP picks Smiley.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1246 on: July 08, 2016, 10:31:49 PM »

Maggie Haberban from the NYT again talks Trump VP on a podcast, this time CNN's The Axe Files. And again she says Gingrich is out and added that Newt confirmed to her that he was not being vetted.

He confirmed that he was not being vetted a couple of weeks ago, or more recently?  Because all of the Trump short listers were saying they were not being vetted a couple of weeks ago.  Now they're more evasive.  If he's actually confirmed to her *recently* on the record that he's not being vetted, then that's a pretty big scoop, and she should write that up into an actual news story rather than dropping that info onto a podcast.  Just saying it on the podcast and not writing it for the NYT makes no sense.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1247 on: July 08, 2016, 11:18:42 PM »

Unclear when it was recorded but the podcast was released yesterday. What she said exactly was "The names I keep hearing - it is not Newt Gingrich and Newt acknowledged the other day he is not being vetted - the names I continue to hear are Christie, Fallin, Session...and people like Tom Cotton...Corker is still in the running but he is a longer shot.

The fact that she mentioned Corker in the running says the podcast was recorded at least 2 days ago. Maybe she isn't in the know but she was quite dismissive of the notion of Gingrich twice so she is at least convinced he is out. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1248 on: July 08, 2016, 11:30:28 PM »

Unclear when it was recorded but the podcast was released yesterday. What she said exactly was "The names I keep hearing - it is not Newt Gingrich and Newt acknowledged the other day he is not being vetted - the names I continue to hear are Christie, Fallin, Session...and people like Tom Cotton...Corker is still in the running but he is a longer shot.

Gingrich said on Thursday that he's being vetted:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=234526.msg5149543#msg5149543

And all of the other reporting (e.g., the reporting by the WaPo) indicates that he's very much in the running.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1249 on: July 09, 2016, 12:22:28 AM »

According to this story:

http://cbs4indy.com/2016/07/08/as-pence-vp-speculation-grows-trump-rally-reportedly-planned-tuesday-in-central-indiana/

Trump will be in Chicago early in the day, then Indiana fundraiser in the afternoon, then Indiana campaign rally that evening at 7:30pm.

If Trump picks Pence, what are the chances that he announces it at that campaign rally?  The very next day, he's supposed to fly out to the West Coast for fundraisers in California on Wednesday and Thursday, and the deadline for Pence dropping out of the gubernatorial race is noon on Friday.  So there isn't a whole lot of time.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies