Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:32:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 91
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 180516 times)
fldemfunds
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1825 on: July 20, 2016, 11:50:50 AM »

Hope this isn't true:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/755766654152368128
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1826 on: July 20, 2016, 11:52:01 AM »

Pls
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1827 on: July 20, 2016, 11:52:23 AM »

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1828 on: July 20, 2016, 11:53:45 AM »

I am cautiously optimistic that she'll make an exciting pick.

I mean, she must have "felt the magic" during her joint rally with Warren, because there's no way she could have felt it with Kaine. It was just so obvious what a bore the guy is, and for all her flaws, Hillary isn't stupid.

Plus, it seems to me that Trump has kind of made a tactical error. Pence was a super-boring pick, and his convention so far has been a dud. It'll appeal to the most hardcore of hardcore Republicans, but I have a hard time seeing how someone who is on the fence could turn on the TV, witness the tone of the RNC (blatant racism, factless lip-flapping, chants of "lock her up!" etc.) and feel more comfortable voting Trump.

A choice like Kaine or Vilsack is status quo. Maybe it keeps the race at Clinton +3 or so, but that's still an uncomfortably thin margin when the stakes are as high as they are. At this stage with Trump, I have a very hard time seeing how Warren would actually hurt Clinton, net-net... and with Warren there is a real opportunity to unleash some excitement for the campaign. What is more, I think Warren's energy helps make Hillary a better candidate herself. And when she feels like she's fighting to make history, it becomes personal for her and she begins to exude a kind of warmth that could improve her favourables. Plus, Hillary needs a more coherent message, and Warren helps crystallize one for the campaign (kind of like how Romney's Ryan pick was seen at the time to give the GOP ticket some ideological teeth).

Even so, my one fear with Trump is that his campaign and messaging are so thin that it is very easy for people to project whatever they want onto him. A core message of "greatness" is pretty flexible. CNN had a family of Trump supporters on Don Lemon's show last night (a black family, no less), and their message was thoughtful, precise, well-informed... except Trump has never really indicated his support for what this family was fighting for. They just, sort of... saw it in him. That's scary. Especially when it gives surrogates the chance to actually present an intelligent case for Trump.

All that to say, Hillary needs someone who actually makes her ideological case stronger as well as someone who is not afraid to go on the attack in a substantial way. She also needs to find a way to at least partially make her campaign transcend the political and become a movement. The only candidate who does all this for her is Warren. The party's demographic advantage makes it hard for Hillary to lose regardless, but it would be nice to give the Republicans a thumping so that things can actually get done. And long-term, the only way Hillary wins re-election is if she can actually point to progress.

Interesting point, but one major argument I see against this way of thinking.

Don't change the game when you're ahead.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1829 on: July 20, 2016, 11:55:31 AM »

If it Crist, I'll laugh out loud!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1830 on: July 20, 2016, 12:02:46 PM »

Interestingly, a lot of Hagrid's logic surrounding the reasons for a Warren pick would also work in the event of a hypothetical Crist pick.

Except this time, instead of reach out to progressives and other liberals she's building excitement and reinventing the political paradigm by creating a center-to-center-left "grand coalition" type of ticket.  That would generate plenty of excitement from still dissatisfied #NeverTrump'ers who are looking for anything at this point. 
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #1831 on: July 20, 2016, 12:05:18 PM »

Crist would be a terrible pick. Isn't he running for congress?
Fusionmunster

« Reply #1832 on: July 20, 2016, 12:05:44 PM »

I think they're putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. Hillary will be announcing in Florida and Crist is likely to be there, but they're assuming that means he's a candidate for VP which seems incredibly unlikely. At least I hope.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1833 on: July 20, 2016, 12:06:23 PM »

I'm willing to bet that all these reporters are getting their info from the same source(s), hence why we're always seeing the same names. I'm sure Clinton's actual list and train of thought is different from what's being reported, hence the surprise when unfamiliar names pop up seemingly at random.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #1834 on: July 20, 2016, 12:06:35 PM »

Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #1835 on: July 20, 2016, 12:11:24 PM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1836 on: July 20, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »

I thought every potential Dem VP would be a great choice

Until Crist's name entered the mix.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1837 on: July 20, 2016, 12:16:26 PM »

I sincerely doubt that a Canadian broadcaster has a scoop that the US news media did not catch.  And I do not think Crist is a good pick (although phonetically, the clogan "Crist is behind Hillary" would be fun to hear.

More interesting is the concept of putting an ex-Republican on the Democratic ticket.  Forget Crist, how about Clinton-Kasich Smiley Smiley?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1838 on: July 20, 2016, 12:30:47 PM »

Calm your horses people. Hillary may not be the best at running for president, but she won't be that dumb.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1839 on: July 20, 2016, 12:49:51 PM »

If Hillary wants a Republican, get one who isn't a two time loser.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1840 on: July 20, 2016, 12:59:13 PM »

Srsly, y'all

Crist is no more of a VP candidate then Gwen Graham, Buddy Dyer, Corrine Brown or Marco Rubio
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #1841 on: July 20, 2016, 01:46:46 PM »

All of this is smokescreen. They want the media to guess, guess, guess and guess some more. It just builds up hype for the media takeover on Friday.
swf541

« Reply #1842 on: July 20, 2016, 01:48:29 PM »

WTF!

Please no, just please.
psychprofessor

« Reply #1843 on: July 20, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »

Josh Earnest states POTUS recommends Vilsack and Perez from Cabinet; Kaine from outside cabinet - unprovoked at press conference.

Gotta think POTUS wouldn't step on anouncement so this doesn't look good for those three.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1844 on: July 20, 2016, 01:57:55 PM »

Josh Earnest states POTUS recommends Vilsack and Perez from Cabinet; Kaine from outside cabinet - unprovoked at press conference.

Gotta think POTUS wouldn't step on anouncement so this doesn't look good for those three.

If anything, it would look bad if Clinton didn't pick one of the three that Obama recommended.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1845 on: July 20, 2016, 01:58:43 PM »

I'd love to see this. Seriously. That would be just hillarious.
psychprofessor

« Reply #1846 on: July 20, 2016, 02:02:54 PM »

If anything, it would look bad if Clinton didn't pick one of the three that Obama recommended.

Nah - the press secretary wouldn't offer this up unprovoked. Head fake.
swf541

« Reply #1847 on: July 20, 2016, 02:15:47 PM »

Nah - the press secretary wouldn't offer this up unprovoked. Head fake.

Completely agreed, dont tell me the CBC actually knows something we dont.......
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1848 on: July 20, 2016, 02:23:15 PM »

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1849 on: July 20, 2016, 02:44:24 PM »

Is Clinton trying to burry the announcement by doing it on a Friday or Saturday.

Also, it's unlikely, but I would adore Crist being VP. A genuine dark horse.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies