Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:36:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 91
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 178861 times)
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: June 17, 2016, 03:42:25 PM »

Tim Ryan would be so inconvenient since Paul Ryan's already using the last name. 
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #826 on: June 17, 2016, 03:47:30 PM »

I'd prefer a Rand Paul/Paul Ryan ticket.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #827 on: June 17, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »

Warner says he’s not being vetted, and he hopes that Clinton picks Kaine:

http://pilotonline.com/news/government/politics/virginia/sen-warner-said-he-s-not-in-the-running-to/article_979b3b25-2dee-5240-8af9-1b47b050fddb.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course, there’s no indication that any short listers have been contacted yet, so Warner wouldn’t actually know if he was in consideration.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #828 on: June 17, 2016, 08:17:53 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2016, 08:23:07 PM by Mr. Morden »

Politico says that "multiple high-level Republican sources" claim that the top names in consideration on the Trump short list are Christie, Gingrich, Sessions, and Fallin, with Christie and Gingrich the most likely:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/donald-trump-vice-president-224488

I hate it when they phrase things like this, though.  What is a "high-level Republican source"?  It's not clear to me if those are people who are directly involved in the veep search or not.

EDIT: That story also has another quote from Thune which has him throwing some shade on Trump:

And Corker also doesn't sound like he's someone seriously in contention anymore:

Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #829 on: June 17, 2016, 11:08:12 PM »

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/julian-castro-im-not-being-vetted-for-vice-president/
Julian Castro says he isn't being vetted
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #830 on: June 17, 2016, 11:24:44 PM »

Praise the lord! Castro is the biggest and most obvious pander ever heard of, a useless choice!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #831 on: June 17, 2016, 11:50:19 PM »

My three guesses for Hillary's VP would be Kaine, Becerra, and Warren, all depending on what Hillary wants the VP to do.

No earthly idea on Trump.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #832 on: June 17, 2016, 11:55:22 PM »

Right.  But again, the level of vetting going on right now, as far as we know, is vetting within the Clinton campaign, using publicly available documents.  We don't know if they've contacted the people on the short list yet for the next stage of vetting, so it's unclear that Castro would know if he's under consideration or not.
Suck my caulk
DemocratforJillStein
Rookie

« Reply #833 on: June 18, 2016, 01:31:17 AM »
« Edited: June 18, 2016, 01:34:59 AM by Democrat for Jill Stein »

I will not be voting for Clinton in November, however I think Perez, Warren, Brown, Becerra, and Garcetti would all be good choices for her to select. Ultimately, I am betting on a Clinton/Perez ticket. Trump's shortlist apparently has been reduced to Christie, Sessions, Fallin, and Gingrich, although I think Santorum has a good shot at being selected. He is younger than Trump (58), from a swing state (Pennsylvania), has 12 years of experience in the Senate (1995-2007), has national exposure and a proven campaign record (from 2012, when he showed he was able to excite the base and come a close second to Romney), and he was the only Republican to speak against free trade deals and emphasize domestic manufacturing in 2012. Aditionally, Santorum has treated Trump quite well throughout the primary. I think Trump/Santorum is a realistic scenario.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #834 on: June 18, 2016, 03:19:20 AM »

While Rick Scott seems to have publicly ruled out any interest in being vice president, The New Republic muses that he still might be angling for it, given that in response to the Orlando shooting, Scott started talking about the threat from Syrian refugees:

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/134414/sure-rick-scott-doesnt-want-trumps-veep

Granted, it’s something of a reach to call that “VP news”, but I decided to post just so I’d have an excuse to post this picture of Scott staring off into space:

Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #835 on: June 18, 2016, 05:15:41 AM »

RIP OC
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #836 on: June 18, 2016, 12:39:20 PM »

aka the Ayn Rand jerk off club
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #837 on: June 18, 2016, 02:16:55 PM »

That being said, a Zombie Ayn Rand/Rand Paul ticket would also hit the spot.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #838 on: June 18, 2016, 02:55:25 PM »

Looks like he really wants the nod.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #839 on: June 18, 2016, 03:00:24 PM »

What spot are you trying to hit?
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #840 on: June 18, 2016, 03:01:22 PM »

The President/VP combo is the same as the VP's name, as seen in the Paul/Ryan ticket Smith proposed.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #841 on: June 18, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »

I will not be voting for Clinton in November, however I think Perez, Warren, Brown, Becerra, and Garcetti would all be good choices for her to select. Ultimately, I am betting on a Clinton/Perez ticket. Trump's shortlist apparently has been reduced to Christie, Sessions, Fallin, and Gingrich, although I think Santorum has a good shot at being selected. He is younger than Trump (58), from a swing state (Pennsylvania), has 12 years of experience in the Senate (1995-2007), has national exposure and a proven campaign record (from 2012, when he showed he was able to excite the base and come a close second to Romney), and he was the only Republican to speak against free trade deals and emphasize domestic manufacturing in 2012. Aditionally, Santorum has treated Trump quite well throughout the primary. I think Trump/Santorum is a realistic scenario.

Trump needs aomeone who can be counted on to lick his boots AND make Trump look good. by comparison. That's. pretty much Christie and maybe Gingrich.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #842 on: June 18, 2016, 09:23:16 PM »

It might be best for Trump just to pick Gingrich now. Give people a new development in the campaign to take their mind off the Orlando Response and Judge Curiel. Plus you then have a month until the convention to promote the entire ticket to any wavering delegates, and Trump has someone agreeable that can hold additional events for him.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #843 on: June 18, 2016, 09:29:47 PM »

rick scott/scott baio.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #844 on: June 18, 2016, 09:31:55 PM »

rick scott/scott baio.
2020: Phil Scott/Scott Brown?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #845 on: June 18, 2016, 09:56:05 PM »

Whatever happened to Gingrich being out of the running? Not that I'm complaining, of course.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #846 on: June 18, 2016, 10:06:18 PM »

Whatever happened to Gingrich being out of the running? Not that I'm complaining, of course.

We assumed that he was out of the running because he started getting critical of Trump.  He stopped talking about that stuff though, and maybe Trump has a short memory.  I don't know.
Suck my caulk
DemocratforJillStein
Rookie

« Reply #847 on: June 19, 2016, 12:06:58 AM »

We assumed that he was out of the running because he started getting critical of Trump.  He stopped talking about that stuff though, and maybe Trump has a short memory.  I don't know.

No chance. Corker and Thune were in the running, and then both got critical of Trump, and both are now out. Ben Carson was fired from Trump's VP selection team, because he was too talkative with respect to who was actually on Trump's shortlist: Sarah Palin (now gone) and Jim Webb. Gingrich was being considered, but he is done. The shortlist that we know of, as it now stands, is limited to Chris Christie, Jeff Sessions, and Mary Fallin. Jim Webb may or may not remain under consideration, and Mike Huckabee, Jon Huntsman, Rick Perry, and Rick Santorum are all neglected names that some people, including I, believe to be serious contenders for the office.

To answer the question, Trump's VP will be either: Christie, Fallin, Sessions, Webb, Huntsman, Perry, Huckabee, or Santorum Read me now, quote me later.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #848 on: June 19, 2016, 02:09:23 AM »

The way things have been going for the last two weeks, Elizabeth Warren looks increasingly less likely as VP. With polls moving in Hillarys direction, she might go for the traditional "occupy the center" strategy and pick boring old Tim Kaine. Damn, I was really hoping for Warren, but if you are Clinton you are probably thinking "Why risk it, the left is probably voting for me anyway".
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #849 on: June 19, 2016, 02:46:16 AM »

It...really depends. I think Warren is still favored. I thought the Orlando shooting would lower her chances but Trump really screwed that one up. A Clinton/Warren ticket can touch a lot of bases. Clinton for foreign policy and Warren for economic/populist issues (though I don't like using the term populism here because that's not the type of campaign Clinton is running). The only thing holding Warren back is her gender, I think. If Warren were male, this wouldn't even be a conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies