Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:29:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 91
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 178723 times)
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: July 07, 2016, 07:07:08 PM »

There actually is a way around that for Warren, which is for Warren to declare her intentions to resign a certain day or later to force Brown to not appoint anyone but for there to be a special election on the general election day.
Brown? Don't you mean Baker? Tongue
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #1201 on: July 07, 2016, 07:18:30 PM »

Thank goodness!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1202 on: July 07, 2016, 07:24:01 PM »

If that's true, it just goes to show that Hillary doesn't care about the democrats' chance of having a senate majority in the short term or the long term.  Both of these seats would be at risk of falling into Republican hands, either through governor appointment with Warren or through a low turnout contentious election in 2018 in Virginia.

There actually is a way around that for Warren, which is for Warren to declare her intentions to resign a certain day or later to force Brown to not appoint anyone but for there to be a special election on the general election day.

The legislature could also pass a law that requires the governor to appoint a Senator of the same party.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1203 on: July 07, 2016, 07:40:09 PM »

Ftr, Sessions was of course one of the Senators who Trump met with in DC today.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1204 on: July 07, 2016, 07:44:52 PM »

If that's true, it just goes to show that Hillary doesn't care about the democrats' chance of having a senate majority in the short term or the long term.  Both of these seats would be at risk of falling into Republican hands, either through governor appointment with Warren or through a low turnout contentious election in 2018 in Virginia.

The legislature could also pass a law that requires the governor to appoint a Senator of the same party.

That seems like a highly dubious legal proposition.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1205 on: July 07, 2016, 07:49:54 PM »

Why?  It's perfectly legal to do so.  And the Democrats have a veto-proof majority in both houses of the Massachusetts Legislature.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1206 on: July 07, 2016, 07:56:32 PM »

Why?  It's perfectly legal to do so.  And the Democrats have a veto-proof majority in both houses of the Massachusetts Legislature.

Really? I've always interpreted the 17th Amendment to mean that a legislature can either give a governor the option to appoint a temporary replacement or not. The notion that that appointment power could be given in a restricted manner is novel to me.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1207 on: July 07, 2016, 08:02:31 PM »

Really? I've always interpreted the 17th Amendment to mean that a legislature can either give a governor the option to appoint a temporary replacement or not. The notion that that appointment power could be given in a restricted manner is novel to me.

This is already the law in Arizona, Hawaii, Utah, and Wyoming.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1208 on: July 07, 2016, 08:03:49 PM »

Tell that to Hawaii, which requires the governor pick a replacement from a list provided by the former Senator's party.  Or Arizona, Utah or Wyoming, which require an appointee be from the same party as the former Senator.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1209 on: July 07, 2016, 08:33:02 PM »

Tell that to Hawaii, which requires the governor pick a replacement from a list provided by the former Senator's party.  Or Arizona, Utah or Wyoming, which require an appointee be from the same party as the former Senator.

I've gotta be honest, I've never really bothered to look into any of that before. Still, I have to wonder whether or not that would hold up in court if a governor ever challenged it.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1210 on: July 07, 2016, 09:23:43 PM »

This is already the law in Arizona, Hawaii, Utah, and Wyoming.

Utah has that requirement in pretty much all elected offices, and specifically we have a kind of mini-convention, where would-be candidates for a seat (say, a state senate seat) give their reasoning for why they should be the appointee, and the delegates choose who they want to be the appointee, and their choice is sent to the Governor, who could theoretically reject that choice, but never does. So its a miniature version of our convention system.

The most recent time this happened was in 2015, when State Representative Justin Miller (HD-40, D) resigned because he was arrested for being a thief. Three candidates ran: Amy Fowler, Chris Stout, and Miller's predecessor Lynn Hemingway. All three candidates were also  Democratic delegates. The Democratic delegates for HD-40 met and voted in two rounds for who they wanted to be the appointee for the seat. In the first round, Chris Stout was eliminated, and advocated for Lynn Hemingway, but gave his delegate vote to Amy Fowler (or was it the other way around?), which gave a lot of folks heartburn. Fowler and Hemingway face off in the second round, and Hemingway wins by one delegate vote, and his name is sent to the Governor as the delegate's choice for that office. The Governor accepted and now Hemingway is the state representative for that district (again).

It works like that with vacancies in all elected offices, except for Governor/LG and US Senator; Governor is succeeded by the LG, and if the LG's office is vacant, the Governor appoints a new LG (technically the Legislature has to confirm the new LG, but I've never seen reject the choice). And Senator is just the choice of the governor, restricted by party. I don't believe there's ever been a US Senate vacancy in Utah though. All other offices are party-restricted delegate choices.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1211 on: July 07, 2016, 09:25:33 PM »

Take note of the fact that the better quality GOP VP candidates have largely declined to run with Trump, which suggests that they (correctly) see the nomination a booby prize.  Trump is left with a bunch of political C and D-listers who have little to nothing to lose.  LOL, no one worthwhile wants to run with him.  This is reminiscent of George McGovern, who was rejected by a number of Democrats when he asked them to join the ticket.

In contrast, I know of no prominent Democratic politician who has issued a Shermanesque statement about joining the ticket with Hillary Clinton.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1212 on: July 07, 2016, 09:31:04 PM »

It's fascinating in comparison to Australia. When there is a Senate vacancy, the state premier puts forward a replacement and then that's voted on by the state parliament and recommended to the Governor who FORMALLY appoints the replacement.

IF, say, when Joe Bullock quit the Senate (thanks BE, by the way), the WA Government put forward a Liberal, all hell would have broken loose. The Federal ALP announced who the replacement would be, the WA Liberal Government respected that choice and it was smooth as silk.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1213 on: July 07, 2016, 10:00:42 PM »

But also of note in that story:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They've also got some fun facts about Blackburn:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1214 on: July 07, 2016, 10:02:49 PM »

But also of note in that story:

They've also got some fun facts about Blackburn:

The story also suggests that the vetting of Christie is a charade being put on just to make sure he doesn't get embarrassed by being left off the short list:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1215 on: July 07, 2016, 10:11:51 PM »

This story suggests that Trump is keen on Gingrich in part because he shares his love of going after the media.  Apparently Trump’s decision to tweet the Frozen star of David grew out of a conversation he had with Gingrich(!):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-and-gingrich-connect-as-outsiders-who-live-on-the-inside/2016/07/07/4524f52c-4489-11e6-bc99-7d269f8719b1_story.html

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #1216 on: July 07, 2016, 10:14:48 PM »

This story suggests that Trump is keen on Gingrich in part because he shares his love of going after the media.  Apparently Trump’s decision to tweet the Frozen star of David grew out of a conversation he had with Gingrich(!):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-and-gingrich-connect-as-outsiders-who-live-on-the-inside/2016/07/07/4524f52c-4489-11e6-bc99-7d269f8719b1_story.html

Those two really are made for each other.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1217 on: July 07, 2016, 10:27:07 PM »

That’s not really what the story says.  It just says that the list is down to five or fewer names, and that not all of the short listers are on equal footing, meaning that Kaine and Warren are believed to be the top two…but not the only two.  The other options believed to be in the mix are Brown, Perez, and Vilsack, while Becerra and Castro are thought to be out of it:

Also, looks like we could have a round of interviews over the next two weeks, before the announcement is made:

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1218 on: July 07, 2016, 10:31:01 PM »

Really glad that Castro is out.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1219 on: July 07, 2016, 11:06:38 PM »

Same. He's just not ready.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1220 on: July 07, 2016, 11:20:07 PM »

I've gotta be honest, I've never really bothered to look into any of that before. Still, I have to wonder whether or not that would hold up in court if a governor ever challenged it.

A decade ago, the sitting GOP Senator in Wyoming died and the Democratic governor was forced by that law to pick a GOP Senate replacement (IIRC it was the state party submitted three names and the governor had to pick one of the three).

These laws have been used before, they're not just hypothetical.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #1221 on: July 07, 2016, 11:37:35 PM »

A decade ago, the sitting GOP Senator in Wyoming died and the Democratic governor was forced by that law to pick a GOP Senate replacement (IIRC it was the state party submitted three names and the governor had to pick one of the three).

Without sidetracking this thread too much, I will say that I agree with darthpi that there is a very legitimate question about whether such laws would hold up if challenged.

As for Massachusetts, the democratic legislature could certainly pass such a law right now, but their reason for doing so has to do with how ridiculous and overtly partisan they'd look if they flip-flopped on this issue a third time (Removing the power to appoint when Mitt Romney was governor, restoring the power to appoint when Ted Kennedy died, and now removing or constraining it to keep Warren's seat in Dem hands).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1222 on: July 08, 2016, 12:19:50 AM »

As recently as last week, Gingrich was saying that he wasn't sure he wanted to be VP.  Now he confirms that he's one of the people being vetted, and says that yes, he'd take the job:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/newt-gingrich-donald-trump-vp-vetting-225274

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1223 on: July 08, 2016, 01:56:26 AM »

OMG has it been that long?  I remember the discussion on here about it.  Sad
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1224 on: July 08, 2016, 05:41:11 AM »

Alaska Senator Dan Sullivan as Trump's VP?  Probably not, but People Magazine claims he may be in the running. The Alaska Dispatch News reports that he has not met Trump (before perhaps today at the Senate Republican meeting), so I doubt it.

That story doesn't really seem to be based on anything though.  There's no "According to sources close to the campaign..." type of statement.  It just talks about what Sullivan might bring to the ticket, and suggests maybe Trump will decide to pick him based on that.  To be clear, Sullivan says that he has not been contacted by the Trump campaign:

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Alaska-Sen-Dan-Sullivan-says-Trump-has-not-contacted-him-about-being-veep-385937921.html
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies