Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:32:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 91
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 178805 times)
Oak Hills
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: July 19, 2016, 10:04:48 PM »

I still don't understand what's so terrible about Vilsack.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1801 on: July 19, 2016, 10:07:30 PM »

I can't believe I'm begging Hillary to pick Kaine at this point. 

He makes sense strategically, is ready, and Vilsack is extremely conservative, despite the fact that i don't like him (Kaine).

What's so conservative about Vilsack anyway?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1802 on: July 19, 2016, 10:28:55 PM »

Warren's already gonna be in Florida on Saturday.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1803 on: July 19, 2016, 10:47:10 PM »

He makes sense strategically, is ready, and Vilsack is extremely conservative, despite the fact that i don't like him (Kaine).

Wants to cut social security/medicare, is weak on climate change.  He is very in favor of weed legalization, so he could potentially pull in some BernieBros.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1804 on: July 19, 2016, 10:57:14 PM »

Wants to cut social security/medicare, is weak on climate change.  He is very in favor of weed legalization, so he could potentially pull in some BernieBros.

Well, a VP's role really is to aid the POTUS is his/her agenda.  I'd expect if Vilsack was VP his focus would still be mainly on rural issues and given his personal history, substance abuse.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1805 on: July 19, 2016, 11:16:49 PM »

Clinton/Vilsack made some sense in 2008 (when he dropped his tentative bid to clear the way for her in Iowa; that turned out so well, didn't it?).  Makes zero sense in 2016--as, to be honest, does all the talk about other minor cabinet secretaries (Castro, Perez until a few days ago, etc.).

Democrats basically always pick a sitting Senator as a VP, and I see no evidence that they're going to break with tradition this time.  The exceptions (since 1928, before that we go into Klanbake territory):

1984: a lot of pressure for a woman but no Democratic Senators were female; didn't exactly turn out well.
1940: closest analogue to Vilsack, I suppose, with Roosevelt running for a third term picking his Ag Secretary he trusts.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1806 on: July 20, 2016, 12:18:26 AM »

“Labor Secretary Tom Perez’s Grandfather Served Dominican Dictator”:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/labor-secretary-tom-perezs-grandfather-served-dominican-dictator-1468972020
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1807 on: July 20, 2016, 01:04:46 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 01:19:44 AM by Ogre Mage »

Yeah, Kaine is definitely the wiser choice, by this point.

That was my thought.  Kaine is younger, a sitting U.S. Senator, has better foreign policy credentials, represents a diverse constituency in VA, speaks Spanish and is slightly more progressive.  If Vilsack is the pick, the Shirley Sherrod incident may not be very inspiring for African-American voters.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1808 on: July 20, 2016, 01:15:16 AM »

Note that if Kaine is picked, then McAuliffe picks his replacement in the Senate, but that person then faces a special election in just a year's time (November 2017).  Will McAuliffe be able to find someone who'd be favored to win that election in an odd-numbered year?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1809 on: July 20, 2016, 01:20:39 AM »

Note that if Kaine is picked, then McAuliffe picks his replacement in the Senate, but that person then faces a special election in just a year's time (November 2017).  Will McAuliffe be able to find someone who'd be favored to win that election in an odd-numbered year?

At this point Generic D vs. Generic R goes to the D in Virginia.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1810 on: July 20, 2016, 01:22:08 AM »

At this point Generic D vs. Generic R goes to the D in Virginia.

In a presidential year, yes.  In an odd-numbered year though, is it so obvious?
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1811 on: July 20, 2016, 08:04:58 AM »

Yeah, Kaine is definitely the wiser choice, by this point.

That was my thought.  Kaine is younger, a sitting U.S. Senator, has better foreign policy credentials, represents a diverse constituency in VA, speaks Spanish and is slightly more progressive.  If Vilsack is the pick, the Shirley Sherrod incident may not be very inspiring for African-American voters.

Note how the narrative went from "she has to pick a progressive" to "Kaine is the better choice" - you have to give Clinton's team credit for effective PR Smiley.

All teasing aside, Kaine is undoubtedly a politically smarter choice, not only against Vilsack, but against Warren or Perez.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1812 on: July 20, 2016, 08:07:37 AM »

Clinton has basically used the "surround yourself with ugly friends at a club to make yourself look cute" tactic for Kaine.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1813 on: July 20, 2016, 08:32:34 AM »

Clinton has basically used the "surround yourself with ugly friends at a club to make yourself look cute" tactic for Kaine.

It's either (in probable order):

1) What you've stated here.
2) Really setting the media up for a surprise or unexpected pick like Warren, etc.
3) They really are considering Vilsack
swf541

« Reply #1814 on: July 20, 2016, 08:44:26 AM »

Pretty happy with any of the choices that seem to be likely.  I'd like Vilsack over Kaine, but Kaine is great too.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1815 on: July 20, 2016, 09:20:26 AM »

New CNN story on the veepstakes:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/19/politics/hillary-clinton-vice-president-search/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1816 on: July 20, 2016, 09:29:08 AM »

but they are not the only two prospects still in contention.
[/quote]

And there we go. Door = open
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1817 on: July 20, 2016, 09:30:30 AM »

Kaine is by far the better and safer choice than more conservative and low-profile Vilsack. He has experience as governor and senator (therefore on national security and foreign policy).
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1818 on: July 20, 2016, 11:06:41 AM »

McAuliffe obviously wants Kaine to be appointed so he can run for the seat in the 2017 special.

Probably get some feel-good McAuliffe adviser/insider as an interim until then.  Someone like Carlos Hopkins fits that bill. 

And I'll agree, all of the talk of Vilsack is just a way to get progressives begging for Kaine by the time of the announcement this weekend. 

psychprofessor

« Reply #1819 on: July 20, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »

2) Really setting the media up for a surprise or unexpected pick like Warren, etc.

head fake...these leaks are not typical of the clinton campaign...i would be surprised if it actually turned out to be kaine or vilsack now because the clinton camp has been so tight lipped...i also think clinton realizes the importance of women and latinos to beat trump...thinking it's warren, perez or becerra.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1820 on: July 20, 2016, 11:18:59 AM »

head fake...these leaks are not typical of the clinton campaign...i would be surprised if it actually turned out to be kaine or vilsack now because the clinton camp has been so tight lipped...i also think clinton realizes the importance of women and latinos to beat trump...thinking it's warren, perez or becerra.

Exactly, you expanded on my point 2.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1821 on: July 20, 2016, 11:28:22 AM »

Exactly, you expanded on my point 2.

...wishful thinking... Smiley
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1822 on: July 20, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 11:39:47 AM by Del Tachi »

Interesting to see the NYT say the announcement will come Saturday when the campaign was signalling Friday earlier in the week.

My thoughts:

(1) Hillary hasn't actually made the pick yet, and might need an extra day to decide (unlikely)
(2) The campaign has contingency plans and is prepared to use either a Friday or Saturday event as an announcement.  If the RNC continues to go bad, expect a Saturday announcement (it allows the negative news out of Cleveland to dominate for a whole other news cycle).  If Trump's acceptance speech goes well, expect a Friday announcement as a way to stop any positive momentum. 

I'd say number 2 is probably what's going on here.

For those of you in the know, does Warren's schedule have her in Florida on both Friday and Saturday?  Or just one of the days?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1823 on: July 20, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 11:44:04 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

I am cautiously optimistic that she'll make an exciting pick.

I mean, she must have "felt the magic" during her joint rally with Warren, because there's no way she could have felt it with Kaine. It was just so obvious what a bore the guy is, and for all her flaws, Hillary isn't stupid.

Plus, it seems to me that Trump has kind of made a tactical error. Pence was a super-boring pick, and his convention so far has been a dud. It'll appeal to the most hardcore of hardcore Republicans, but I have a hard time seeing how someone who is on the fence could turn on the TV, witness the tone of the RNC (blatant racism, factless lip-flapping, chants of "lock her up!" etc.) and feel more comfortable voting Trump.

A choice like Kaine or Vilsack is status quo. Maybe it keeps the race at Clinton +3 or so, but that's still an uncomfortably thin margin when the stakes are as high as they are. At this stage with Trump, I have a very hard time seeing how Warren would actually hurt Clinton, net-net... and with Warren there is a real opportunity to unleash some excitement for the campaign. What is more, I think Warren's energy helps make Hillary a better candidate herself. And when she feels like she's fighting to make history, it becomes personal for her and she begins to exude a kind of warmth that could improve her favourables. Plus, Hillary needs a more coherent message, and Warren helps crystallize one for the campaign (kind of like how Romney's Ryan pick was seen at the time to give the GOP ticket some ideological teeth).

Even so, my one fear with Trump is that his campaign and messaging are so thin that it is very easy for people to project whatever they want onto him. A core message of "greatness" is pretty flexible. CNN had a family of Trump supporters on Don Lemon's show last night (a black family, no less), and their message was thoughtful, precise, well-informed... except Trump has never really indicated his support for what this family was fighting for. They just, sort of... saw it in him. That's scary. Especially when it gives surrogates the chance to actually present an intelligent case for Trump.

All that to say, Hillary needs someone who actually makes her ideological case stronger as well as someone who is not afraid to go on the attack in a substantial way. She also needs to find a way to at least partially make her campaign transcend the political and become a movement. The only candidate who does all this for her is Warren. The party's demographic advantage makes it hard for Hillary to lose regardless, but it would be nice to give the Republicans a thumping so that things can actually get done. And long-term, the only way Hillary wins re-election is if she can actually point to progress.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1824 on: July 20, 2016, 11:49:04 AM »

I am cautiously optimistic that she'll make an exciting pick.

I mean, she must have "felt the magic" during her joint rally with Warren, because there's no way she could have felt it with Kaine. It was just so obvious what a bore the guy is, and for all her flaws, Hillary isn't stupid.

Plus, it seems to me that Trump has kind of made a tactical error. Pence was a super-boring pick, and his convention so far has been a dud. It'll appeal to the most hardcore of hardcore Republicans, but I have a hard time seeing how someone who is on the fence could turn on the TV, witness the tone of the RNC (blatant racism, factless lip-flapping, chants of "lock her up!" etc.) and feel more comfortable voting Trump.

A choice like Kaine or Vilsack is status quo. Maybe it keeps the race at Clinton +3 or so, but that's still an uncomfortably thin margin when the stakes are as high as they are. At this stage with Trump, I have a very hard time seeing how Warren would actually hurt Clinton, net-net... and with Warren there is a real opportunity to unleash some excitement for the campaign. What is more, I think Warren's energy helps make Hillary a better candidate herself. And when she feels like she's fighting to make history, it becomes personal for her and she begins to exude a kind of warmth that could improve her favourables. Plus, Hillary needs a more coherent message, and Warren helps crystallize one for the campaign (kind of like how Romney's Ryan pick was seen at the time to give the GOP ticket some ideological teeth).

Even so, my one fear with Trump is that his campaign and messaging are so thin that it is very easy for people to project whatever they want onto him. A core message of "greatness" is pretty flexible. CNN had a family of Trump supporters on Don Lemon's show last night (a black family, no less), and their message was thoughtful, precise, well-informed... except Trump has never really indicated his support for what this family was fighting for. They just, sort of... saw it in him. That's scary. Especially when it gives surrogates the chance to actually present an intelligent case for Trump.

All that to say, Hillary needs someone who actually makes her ideological case stronger as well as someone who is not afraid to go on the attack in a substantial way. She also needs to find a way to at least partially make her campaign transcend the political and become a movement. The only candidate who does all this for her is Warren. The party's demographic advantage makes it hard for Hillary to lose regardless, but it would be nice to give the Republicans a thumping so that things can actually get done. And long-term, the only way Hillary wins re-election is if she can actually point to progress.

The one exciting thing about Kaine is he's fluent in Spanish, but otherwise I pretty much agree.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies