Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:38:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 91
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 178645 times)
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: July 21, 2016, 10:54:50 PM »

So people didn't want Warren because the VP doesn't set policy and she'd be better in the Senate.

But people also don't want Kaine because of his policies and he'd be worse in the Senate than as a powerless VP.

Ok.

I want Warren.

I would also prefer Warren but I'm seeing a lot of conflicting messages when it comes to the selection.

I want someone who is basically a clone of Warren without the tremendous cache/following that Warren has.  Someone who would be a great person to take over in case Hillary dies, but doesn't sacrifice what Warren is capable of doing in the Senate.  So maybe somebody like Perez, Franken, Brown (if he didn't affect Senate calculus), Merkley.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1951 on: July 21, 2016, 10:58:37 PM »

I'll be honest, I'm very confused, and I have no idea who it's really going to be. It won't be Tim Roemer, though.

Why not?
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #1952 on: July 21, 2016, 10:59:22 PM »

I'm really hoping she goes for Perez. Kaine and Vilsack set off too many alarm bells for the left, and Warren is an effective enough surrogate for Hillary that she doesn't need to pick her.

He just hits all of the right buttons; Hispanic, a work horse that won't overshadow anybody, progressive enough for the Sanders wing of the party, and he has Obama's trust.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1953 on: July 21, 2016, 11:00:53 PM »

Kaine retorts those who criticized his bank stance:

“People are going to say whatever they want, but I’m strongly for the regulation of the financial industry,” Kaine said. “If you spend a lot of time over regulating credit unions and community banks, you are basically letting a lot of the big guys off easily.”

Kaine added: “It wasn’t credit unions that tanked the economy. It wasn’t local community banks that tanked the economy. Generally, it wasn’t regional banks that did things that tanked the economy.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/2016/07/21/a6122894-4ebd-11e6-aa14-e0c1087f7583_story.html

Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #1954 on: July 21, 2016, 11:09:30 PM »

According to WSJ Clintons VP pick is likley to be Tim Kain, according to campaign sources. In the same article it suggests that Clinton will text her supporters the pick Friday and hold a joint rally with her running mate Saturday.

Link https://www.google.ca/amp/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/sen-kaine-seen-as-clintons-vp-pick-1469144626?client=safari#
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1955 on: July 21, 2016, 11:16:56 PM »

I'll be honest, I'm very confused, and I have no idea who it's really going to be. It won't be Tim Roemer, though.

Why not?

the reasons are as numerous as the stars themselves
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1956 on: July 21, 2016, 11:18:15 PM »

Warren on Colbert: "I think if I were the pick, I'd know it by now."

Sad
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1957 on: July 21, 2016, 11:22:36 PM »

Warren on Colbert: "I think if I were the pick, I'd know it by now."

Sad

To be fair, that doesn't mean she doesn't know.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1958 on: July 21, 2016, 11:34:58 PM »

NYT says sources "close to the campaign" indicate that Kaine is the likely pick, and that the announcement will be made in an email to supporters on Friday afternoon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/22/us/politics/tim-kaine-hillary-clinton-vice-president.html?_r=0

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1959 on: July 21, 2016, 11:50:24 PM »

It's all a ploy! The real pick is Checkpoint Charlie Crist! /s

But yeah, meh. Kaine is neither here nor there, but he's better than Vilsack.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1960 on: July 21, 2016, 11:51:59 PM »

Is there a reason they don't want Warren?  Do they just prefer her in the Senate, or are they salty that she didn't endorse during the primary?  I mean, seriously.  Why Tim Kaine?  Why not just pick Al Gore if we want to go for 'dull and uninspiring' again?

Are we going back to the New Democrat days?
swf541

« Reply #1961 on: July 21, 2016, 11:52:48 PM »

I really like Kaine, actually a lot of people i know wanted Kaine out of the last 3.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #1962 on: July 22, 2016, 12:01:51 AM »

I'm really praying that all of these "VP leaks" end up being a head-fake for a surprise pick like Warren.

If it does end up being Kaine, do you think Hillary would want to appoint Warren to a position in her cabinet?
dspNY
United States

« Reply #1963 on: July 22, 2016, 12:03:11 AM »

I'm really praying that all of these "VP leaks" end up being a head-fake for a surprise pick like Warren.

If it does end up being Kaine, do you think Hillary would want to appoint Warren to a position in her cabinet?

You would still temporarily give up the Senate seat unless Reid found a loophole in Massachusetts state law
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1964 on: July 22, 2016, 12:05:18 AM »

You would still temporarily give up the Senate seat unless Reid found a loophole in Massachusetts state law

Or you know they pass new law that requires the governor to pick a member of the same party. A few other states have this.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1965 on: July 22, 2016, 12:06:57 AM »

Kaine's seat would not be easy to hold in an off year, I'd even go as far as to say that it would flip. In he temporary scheme of things an appointment would keep the Senate in Democratic hands should it flip this year, but if it ends up being a one seat Democratic majority, Virginia is going to flip in the off year because Republicans will turnout in droves to flip the Senate.

I'm not sure what Kaine's appeal is.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1966 on: July 22, 2016, 12:07:59 AM »

A temporary forfeit of the Senate beats four or eight years of Tim Kaine.  Which state is more likely to elect a Democrat to the Senate: Massachusetts or Virginia?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1967 on: July 22, 2016, 12:09:47 AM »

A temporary forfeit of the Senate beats four or eight years of Tim Kaine.  Which state is more likely to elect a Democrat to the Senate: Massachusetts or Virginia?
To be honest, Massachusetts Democrats will just nominate Martha Coakley and lose for the fiftieth time.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1968 on: July 22, 2016, 12:12:14 AM »

Or you know they pass new law that requires the governor to pick a member of the same party. A few other states have this.

Needs to be same party from a list provided by that party's committee.  Otherwise, Baker could just appoint Stephen Lynch to mess with the Dems as much as possible.

Of course, I missed out on that detail.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1969 on: July 22, 2016, 12:13:30 AM »

For that matter, Charlie Baker will probably just appoint a moderate like Richard Tisei to the Senate seat if he isn't required to appoint a Democrat. It won't be as big of a deal as Virginia, where it would be very possible for a conservative Republican to take the Senate seat.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1970 on: July 22, 2016, 12:55:01 AM »

For that matter, Charlie Baker will probably just appoint a moderate like Richard Tisei to the Senate seat if he isn't required to appoint a Democrat. It won't be as big of a deal as Virginia, where it would be very possible for a conservative Republican to take the Senate seat.

Even if the "moderate" is appointed, he/she will still caucus with the Republicans and give some degree of procedural control (albeit less than in the House) over to Republicans. 

And the difference between the most liberal Republican and the most conservative Republican is substantially smaller than the difference between the most liberal Republican and the most conservative Democrat nowadays.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1971 on: July 22, 2016, 03:57:48 AM »

Needs to be same party from a list provided by that party's committee.  Otherwise, Baker could just appoint Stephen Lynch to mess with the Dems as much as possible.

Lynch is hardly Conservadem Classic, though. He's an old-school union hack (which I mean in the best way) who seems more conservative than he actually is because he is or was pro-life. He voted against Obamacare from the left. He's the exact opposite of the type of Democrat Baker would ever consider appointing if left to his own devices.
skoods
United States

« Reply #1972 on: July 22, 2016, 05:52:31 AM »

Even if the "moderate" is appointed, he/she will still caucus with the Republicans and give some degree of procedural control (albeit less than in the House) over to Republicans. 

And the difference between the most liberal Republican and the most conservative Republican is substantially smaller than the difference between the most liberal Republican and the most conservative Democrat nowadays.

Maybe in Tennessee. But Massachusetts liberal republicans are much more similar to a conservative democrat than a southern conservative republican. I mean, Tisei is openly gay.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1973 on: July 22, 2016, 06:59:26 AM »

So, looks like this is her schedule for Friday and Saturday?

https://www.willhillarywin.com/hillary-clintons-events/

Friday: Orlando, FL roundtable, 1:15-3:00pm
Friday: Tampa, FL rally, 4:30-6:30pm
Saturday: Miami, FL rally, 12:00-2:00pm
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1974 on: July 22, 2016, 07:12:16 AM »

Kaine is at $0.87 on PredictIt. The next highest is Vilsack at $0.07.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies