Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:04:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 179083 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: April 18, 2016, 01:55:11 PM »

Unsurprisingly, Huckabee seems very ignorant of history. Didn't like 5 different people turn down being McGovern's VP?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 03:37:43 PM »

Rooting for Deval Patrick. He's unquestionably qualified, would make an excellent attack dog, and it completely rewards African Americans, who are probably the main reason Hillary was able to put the nomination away.

There's no way she's going to pick Deval Bain. I would think she only included him on the list to not look like she's spurning blacks, but Booker was on there, so I have no idea.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 03:27:39 PM »

Oh my god, please choose the old white guy from Alabama.

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III will surely help Trump solidify his great relationship with the blacks.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 04:11:23 PM »

I'm pretty confident that Scott Brown is going to be Trump's pick. I saw Manafort on CNN a couple days ago and he seemed awfully bullish on how strongly Trump was going to perform in New England.

Brown would fit into Trump wanting someone with legislative experience, and Brown himself has morphed into a more 'Trumpian' candidate on issues like immigration over the past couple months. He could stay on message as Trump's running mate as well as be reassuring to the GOPe.

Expect Trump to give a very "strong" position on abortion every time he's asked about it, because his VP pick is likely to be a disappointment to socons.

Eh? Trump will overperform in New England by selecting a running mate who lost in New England twice?

Scott Brown is probably the most politically talented Republican in NE in a long time.

Great joke. He was the only Republican to lose a competitive Senate race in 2014. Even Virginia, which was supposed to be safe D, was closer. lol
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 11:37:26 AM »

Reid seems to be fully on board the Warren train now.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Rendell is not.

Rendell's statement is surprisingly strong. But it can't be self interested since he also rules himself out. He must be pushing a particular person HARD behind the scenes. I wonder who it is.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 11:46:49 AM »

Probably Kaine because they are both boring white men.

I wouldn't really use the term "boring" to describe Rendell. Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 01:47:03 AM »

I now believe Trump is likely to pick either Jeff Sessions or Scott Brown.  Neither would help him win over any key demographics or states, but do running mates ever really help much in those respects anyway?  Trump might just need someone who would be loyal to him, has legislative experience, and agrees with him on most issues.  I think they both fit that bill.

Very good point. I think Scott Brown would be the best.

It would be interesting to see Warren vs. Brown redux in the VP debate.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 12:16:17 PM »

An all-woman ticket would certainly up the odds that Trump stumbles across a sexist remark that is finally actually disqualifying.

But I'm torn as to whether that actually exists. The misogyny of the male electorate seems to know no bounds. So banking on the above strategy could be risky...

No need to be torn, it doesn't exist. Tongue

But Warren could be a good pick for other reasons.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 03:00:37 PM »

Yeah, I think it's between Sessions/Brown/Fallin/Christie. All are buttkissers who would sell their soul for power and would never contradict him.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 05:32:04 PM »

Is one of the merits making PA safe D?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 06:58:42 PM »

Liz Warren is shamelessly trying to become VP, but she'll end up looking like the left-wing Chris Christie.
She already does. I would like to see Clinton give Warren the finger and select Becerra or Perez as her running mate.

Becerra or Perez would be an incredibly savvy move from her part. It will pull more Hispanics in as Trump alienates them to unprecedented lengths.
I agree 100%. Tom Perez is as progressive, if not more, than Warren, and at least Becerra and Perez were honest about their candidate preferences and endorsed Clinton from the beginning. Warren, on the other hand, gave Sanders supporters every reason to believe that she would endorse Sanders, but then refused to make any endorsements until Clinton was her only choice, and now vies full-throttle for the VP spot. Becerra and Perez, or even Brown, deserve the position more than Warren does. They are all progressives, but the former three made a decision from the beginning.

LOL, just because Reddit developed fanfiction about how Warren was going to endorse "any day now..." for months doesn't mean there was any reason to believe she would. She was solidly neutral throughout the entire process.

Hillary's Wall Street donors are threatening to abandon her if she picks Elizabeth Warren:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/elizabeth-warren-wall-street-vice-president-224489

BTW, they really like the idea of a Vice-President Tim Kaine.

More BS trolling from Pollutico in an attempt to get left wing clicks. Where were these Wall Street fatcat donors that supposedly love her when Bernie was outraising her? Oh right, filling the coffers of Rubio, Jeb, Kasich, and Cruz.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 07:01:29 PM »

Clinton is about as right-wing a Democrat as there is,

Ah, so you're a troll. Now it suddenly makes a lot more sense.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 08:24:33 PM »

I focused on that sentence because that particular sentence was mind numbingly stupid and objectively incorrect. Her Senate voting record put her in the more liberal half of the Democratic caucus, and that's not even taking into account all the Dixiecrats/Blue Dogs that used to be in the House before 2010/2014 wiped them out.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 09:13:07 PM »

Will you please explain how my statement makes me a troll? I posted an entire paragraph of substantive argument, and you focused on a single sentence, and did not provide a substantive response. Will you please name a few Democrats who are more right-wing than Clinton? Maybe Zell Miller, Joe Lieberman, Ben Nelson, and Blanche Lincoln, but none of them are in politics any longer, and I struggle to name any more.

Perhaps... Joe Biden, John Edwards, Al Gore, Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, most representatives and senators?
Al Gore is to the right of Hillary Clinton? On climate change, he receives money from the fossil fuel industry (of course not; he is not even in politics anymore)? He voted for Iraq (he was against it, while Clinton was for it)? He ran in 2000 on expanding Social Security; Clinton has supported the chained CPI cuts to Social Security. Joe Biden? Seriously? You genuinely believe MOST Democratic Congress members are to the right of Clinton. Now I think you might be a troll.

Biden voted for the Iraq War. He was in favor of the 1994 crime bill. He had major ties to the credit card industries and the banking industries. The list goes on. His voting record in the Senate was way to the right of Hillary's. Her voting record was in the more liberal half of the Democratic caucus. Look it up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/31/us/politics/banking-ties-could-hurt-joe-biden-in-race-with-populist-overtone.html
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/hillary-clinton-was-liberal-hillary-clinton-is-liberal/

I realize your ilk give him a pass for stuff you'd string up Hillary over because he is a man, but don't expect to not get called out for it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 10:34:24 PM »

So Biden became more progressive as VP...and Hillary became more progressive since leaving SoS. Yes, they're both shifting in the direction of the party's overall tide. I don't see the difference. You can't assume good faith on Biden's part and bad faith on Hillary's without any solid evidence. Don't forget he also wanted to run for president, and only backed out because he didn't see a path to victory.

Also, Hillary was very clearly shifting to the left almost immediately after beginning her campaign, back when Sanders was still polling at 3% and nobody outside of Vermont knew who he was.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 11:33:11 PM »

also lol at Martin O'Malley being more left-wing than Hillary Clinton. He's a former NEW DEMOCRAT who changed his colors to win the White House.

And enthusiastically endorsed her extremely early in 2007. lol

I guess only male politicians are allowed to genuinely "evolve." Women who do so are just power hungry opportunist shill bitches. Roll Eyes
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 12:08:18 AM »

There's no way Cotton will go with Trump. He's going to want to play both sides in his potential 2020 run.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 07:02:38 PM »

Wait, so is Gingrich in or is Gingrich out? The story changes every few days.

So does everything else having to do with Trump.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 07:01:15 PM »

But again, politicians are narcissists, so maybe Pence thinks that he's so awesome that voters will be impressed with him even if they don't like Trump.
Pence is a great guy, and I think people will like him. Conservatives already love him.

Because as we all know, who conservatives love and who the entire country loves overlaps perfectly!

Apparently Indiana doesn't love him very much, considering he vastly underperformed Romney in 2012.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 05:40:19 PM »

But also of note in that story:

They've also got some fun facts about Blackburn:

The story also suggests that the vetting of Christie is a charade being put on just to make sure he doesn't get embarrassed by being left off the short list:

LMFAO! Just when you thought Christie couldn't get more pathetic, he proves us wrong again!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2016, 02:07:06 AM »

Yes, it's likely many people Trump would've wanted before Pence declined.

Pence clearly has no interest in being governor and was just using it as a stepping stone to run for president, which Indiana sadly obliged. But he knows if he ran for president on his own merits he'd just be another boring Pawlenty/Walker loser. So he sees this as a great opportunity, win or lose, to distinguish himself from the crowd.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 05:10:27 PM »

Kaine may be too far right. Choosing him would big a giant sign that Clinton intends to govern as even more of a "liberal Republican" candidate than Obama.

I haven't had the time to go and crunch numbers, but with a Kaine pick, Clinton would be betting that the number of "moderate"  votes she gets will outweigh the loss of actual leftists who vote Green, Lib, or just stay home. (The "moderate" votes will count for more if she's actually taking them away from Trump, instead of grabbing folks who would otherwise stay home,  of course.)

This election is really, really turing into a race to see which pile of elephant turds is the stinkiest. Guess I need to look for more jobs in Canada.
If you move to Canada, you'll just start saying the Liberals are Conservative Lite.

Very true. It is time to accept your center-left overlords. Clinton/Trudeau will be the best duo ever! Smiley
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 02:50:16 AM »

I'm actually surprised Jeff Merkley didn't make the shortlist for VP. It would be a great way to satisfy the left, without the potential pitfalls of the other options (age, gender, and Senate seat, for Sanders/Warren/Brown respectively.)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 08:30:10 AM »

I'm actually surprised Jeff Merkley didn't make the shortlist for VP. It would be a great way to satisfy the left, without the potential pitfalls of the other options (age, gender, and Senate seat, for Sanders/Warren/Brown respectively.)

The Clintons hold grudges (and i'm a Hillary supporter).

Eh...Merkley endorsed Sanders, but he never badmouthed Hillary and has been pushing hard for unity. Warren never endorsed her, so if it was really about grudges I doubt she'd be on the shortlist.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 02:40:10 PM »

I'm surprised Franken didn't

Well, I like Franken, but it's not exactly hard to see why he wasn't considered (SNL baggage.) I have a hard time thinking of an explanation for no Merkley.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies