Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:50:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 180112 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: May 06, 2016, 09:40:06 PM »

I've been hearing rumblings about Jim Webb.

No way that doesn't lead to a floor fight at the convention.
They'll do a acclamation vote, and regardless of what happens, Paul Ryan will bang the gabble and say the nays have it.

The "gabble"?

With Carson heading the committee maybe that keeps him from actually getting the spot.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »

Uncharacteristicly self-aware, Sarah.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 07:37:41 PM »

Dukakis picking Bentsen was anything but a blunder. In fact, it could be argued that Bentsen was more competent than Dukakis.

Yes, that was what made it a blunder.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 03:08:24 AM »

Thank you, Twatter, for raising the level of political discourse to new heights.

#pantsburnlegwound
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 01:56:26 AM »

Really? I've always interpreted the 17th Amendment to mean that a legislature can either give a governor the option to appoint a temporary replacement or not. The notion that that appointment power could be given in a restricted manner is novel to me.

Tell that to Hawaii, which requires the governor pick a replacement from a list provided by the former Senator's party.  Or Arizona, Utah or Wyoming, which require an appointee be from the same party as the former Senator.

I've gotta be honest, I've never really bothered to look into any of that before. Still, I have to wonder whether or not that would hold up in court if a governor ever challenged it.

A decade ago, the sitting GOP Senator in Wyoming died and the Democratic governor was forced by that law to pick a GOP Senate replacement (IIRC it was the state party submitted three names and the governor had to pick one of the three).

These laws have been used before, they're not just hypothetical.

OMG has it been that long?  I remember the discussion on here about it.  Sad
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies