Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:26:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 179034 times)
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« on: April 22, 2016, 08:48:38 AM »

Hopefully it doesn't end the same way.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 09:45:15 AM »

Castro is the Democratic Rubio. Don't pick him.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 01:42:18 PM »

Warren and Franken seem like the best choices to me.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 07:20:09 PM »

I mean, even if MA doesn't pass a law, Baker seems like the type to appoint a moderate who would be willing to vote with Democrats. Kasich is much more dangerous for the Democrats, in that he's a conservative masquerading as a moderate.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 07:49:44 PM »

I mean, even if MA doesn't pass a law, Baker seems like the type to appoint a moderate who would be willing to vote with Democrats. Kasich is much more dangerous for the Democrats, in that he's a conservative masquerading as a moderate.

Baker isn't in the same universe as the most objectionable Republicans, but I still wouldn't trust him to appoint a proper replacement to a Warren vacancy on his own. I could see a compromise if the legislature threatened action where the Governor would appoint someone on his own to prevent a new law. (With their massive supermajority, the Democrats in the legislature would hold all the cards.) When President Obama nominated Judd Gregg for Commerce, the Democratic Governor promised to appoint a Republican (a liberal Republican, but one that was named ahead of time). If Warren was tapped to be Hillary's running mate, there would be plenty of time for those in Massachusetts state government to deal with it properly ahead of time (unless her campaign wanted explicit assurance that a mainstream Democrat would be nominated should the vacancy arise).

I, personally, feel like Richard Tisei would be Baker's choice, and I feel like some Democrats would be fine with that, but the progressives would be against it. Then again, Baker might choose a Democrat.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 07:43:37 PM »

But no way! Trump will pick a Moderate Hero™ veep like Kasich or Susana Martinez!
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 02:34:37 PM »

He should pick either Scott Brown or Susanna Martinez

Yeah, Scott Brown seems like the obvious choice. Somewhat moderate, hasn't really done anything crazy yet, from New Hampshire. Him being pro-choice could be a roadblock.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 04:41:46 PM »

Oh god, the Trump/Webb speculation will start again.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 05:50:06 PM »

A D on the ticket? Yeah.... that's going to go so well for the delegates

Well, John McCain apparently did want to pick Joe Lieberman, but his advisers pressured him into choosing Palin.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »

For one thing, Martinez hates Trump. For another thing, she's the guardian/caretaker of her disabled sister. There are also a few accusations of corruption here and there.

Rubio is a more likely pick, but he's still a borderline robotic empty suit.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 07:07:24 AM »

I'm quite glad that Castro is being reported as off the list.  He has just about the worst possible gaffe for a campaign against someone like Trump:   

"Joaquín and I got into Stanford because of affirmative action. I scored 1210 on my SATs"

You can bet that Trump would read that aloud for 3 months and call him Stupid Julian.  It would be absolutely brutal.

I doubt Castro is off the list. Or do you mean only Jacquin?

Some media observers think that'll be Castro for Hillary and Kasich for TRUMP. I like both. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/05/05/john-kasich-julian-castro-trump-clinton-running-mates-odds/83974594/

Ah, yes. The media observers who said that your candidate never had a chance?

Kasich wouldn't agree to it.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 12:37:34 PM »

I'm quite glad that Castro is being reported as off the list.  He has just about the worst possible gaffe for a campaign against someone like Trump:   

"Joaquín and I got into Stanford because of affirmative action. I scored 1210 on my SATs"

You can bet that Trump would read that aloud for 3 months and call him Stupid Julian.  It would be absolutely brutal.

I doubt Castro is off the list. Or do you mean only Jacquin?

Some media observers think that'll be Castro for Hillary and Kasich for TRUMP. I like both. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/05/05/john-kasich-julian-castro-trump-clinton-running-mates-odds/83974594/

Ah, yes. The media observers who said that your candidate never had a chance?

Kasich wouldn't agree to it.

He would. He's second term (term limited) governor. If he wants a chance to ever become president, it is the VP slot on the TRUMP train.

But Kasich has said multiple times that he wouldn't do it. What makes you think he'd suddenly change his mind?
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 10:51:40 PM »

I feel like Trump would be smart enough not to pick LePage. Nobody outside of Maine will like him.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 05:07:32 PM »

Carson is fired from the VP committee. Reportedly due to Carson publically stating Trump could pick a Democrat.

Even when Carson isn't a presidential candidate, he still manages to screw things up.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 09:10:22 AM »

Warren would be a good choice, but I stand by my belief that Franken would be better.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 06:05:27 AM »

The Hill says that the five candidates “getting the most buzz in Clintonworld” are Kaine, Brown, Warren, Perez, and Hickenlooper:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/279879-hillary-clintons-top-five-vice-presidential-picks

But, as with many stories like this, the sourcing is rather vague.  What is “getting buzz in Clintonworld”?  Are the sources here actually people with inside knowledge of the VP search, or just people in the extended Clinton orbit, only loosely connected to the campaign?

In any case, the most interesting name there is Hickenlooper, who last year said that he wasn’t interested in the VP job, because he didn’t want to move to DC:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

LOL... no Castro??

Of course Castro isn't there. He's the Marco Rubio of the Democrats.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 08:05:24 AM »

The Hill says that the five candidates “getting the most buzz in Clintonworld” are Kaine, Brown, Warren, Perez, and Hickenlooper:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/279879-hillary-clintons-top-five-vice-presidential-picks

But, as with many stories like this, the sourcing is rather vague.  What is “getting buzz in Clintonworld”?  Are the sources here actually people with inside knowledge of the VP search, or just people in the extended Clinton orbit, only loosely connected to the campaign?

In any case, the most interesting name there is Hickenlooper, who last year said that he wasn’t interested in the VP job, because he didn’t want to move to DC:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

LOL... no Castro??

Of course Castro isn't there. He's the Marco Rubio of the Democrats.

I thought he's the unoffocial front runner, because he would bring diversity and balance to the ticket.

I hope he isn't the frontrunner. He would certainly bring diversity, but not much else.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 01:25:21 PM »

Schweitzer, because Hillary Clinton will totally choose a running mate accused of sexism.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »

Christie maybe, but Wacky Wavy Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tube Man?
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 04:32:32 PM »

I'm pretty confident that Scott Brown is going to be Trump's pick. I saw Manafort on CNN a couple days ago and he seemed awfully bullish on how strongly Trump was going to perform in New England.

Brown would fit into Trump wanting someone with legislative experience, and Brown himself has morphed into a more 'Trumpian' candidate on issues like immigration over the past couple months. He could stay on message as Trump's running mate as well as be reassuring to the GOPe.

Expect Trump to give a very "strong" position on abortion every time he's asked about it, because his VP pick is likely to be a disappointment to socons.

Eh? Trump will overperform in New England by selecting a running mate who lost in New England twice?

Scott Brown is probably the most politically talented Republican in NE in a long time.

Great joke. He was the only Republican to lose a competitive Senate race in 2014. Even Virginia, which was supposed to be safe D, was closer. lol

inb4 tnvolunteer
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 08:07:58 PM »

I hope not. But I don't think so. It's gonna be Gingrich, Fallin or Brewer. Maybe Kasich or Christie.

Don't tell me you seriously think Gingrich and Fallin would be better running mates than Corker.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 03:09:59 PM »

Is that a joke or a legitimate theory?
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »

Dukakis picking Bentsen was anything but a blunder. In fact, it could be argued that Bentsen was more competent than Dukakis.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 06:02:33 PM »

I think Clinton's best bet is a white guy with some blue collar cred.  The only reason this thing is close right now is because Trump is winning ~2/3rds of white men and ~3/4ths of white men without college degrees.  Sherrod Brown is the obvious choice, but Kasich appointing an R could be devastating to the progressive cause in a year when the senate could easily be tied and there's guaranteed to be at least one open SCOTUS seat.

How about Jon Tester?  He's younger than Clinton, has a working class (farming) background, overcame a disabling injury he sustained on the job, has beaten the odds twice in a McCain state, his seat is up in 2018 anyway and as long as he resigns in November/December it would be guaranteed that Bullock replaces him with another Dem.  What's not to like?

Name recognition, isn't progressive enough, not from a swing state, would be easier for him to hold the Senate seat than somebody else.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 09:27:07 PM »

Yes, because of course these people just wouldn't be qualified. Clearly the only reason to pick a minority or a woman would be to pander.

Roll Eyes

He's going all in on the >75% of white men strategy.  The scary part is I think it's working.  Clinton needs to pick a Biden type who can counter this.

Chris Murphy could work. Young, northeastern, white man, not moderate enough to anger Bernie supporters.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies