Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:05:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 180030 times)
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« on: July 05, 2016, 03:30:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They are making a decision within days and she hasn't been vetted yet?

What about Trump's campaign thus far makes that surprising in the least?
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 07:44:52 PM »

If that's true, it just goes to show that Hillary doesn't care about the democrats' chance of having a senate majority in the short term or the long term.  Both of these seats would be at risk of falling into Republican hands, either through governor appointment with Warren or through a low turnout contentious election in 2018 in Virginia.

There actually is a way around that for Warren, which is for Warren to declare her intentions to resign a certain day or later to force Brown to not appoint anyone but for there to be a special election on the general election day.

The legislature could also pass a law that requires the governor to appoint a Senator of the same party.

That seems like a highly dubious legal proposition.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 07:56:32 PM »

If that's true, it just goes to show that Hillary doesn't care about the democrats' chance of having a senate majority in the short term or the long term.  Both of these seats would be at risk of falling into Republican hands, either through governor appointment with Warren or through a low turnout contentious election in 2018 in Virginia.

There actually is a way around that for Warren, which is for Warren to declare her intentions to resign a certain day or later to force Brown to not appoint anyone but for there to be a special election on the general election day.

The legislature could also pass a law that requires the governor to appoint a Senator of the same party.

That seems like a highly dubious legal proposition.

Why?  It's perfectly legal to do so.  And the Democrats have a veto-proof majority in both houses of the Massachusetts Legislature.

Really? I've always interpreted the 17th Amendment to mean that a legislature can either give a governor the option to appoint a temporary replacement or not. The notion that that appointment power could be given in a restricted manner is novel to me.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 08:33:02 PM »

Really? I've always interpreted the 17th Amendment to mean that a legislature can either give a governor the option to appoint a temporary replacement or not. The notion that that appointment power could be given in a restricted manner is novel to me.

Tell that to Hawaii, which requires the governor pick a replacement from a list provided by the former Senator's party.  Or Arizona, Utah or Wyoming, which require an appointee be from the same party as the former Senator.

I've gotta be honest, I've never really bothered to look into any of that before. Still, I have to wonder whether or not that would hold up in court if a governor ever challenged it.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 12:04:32 PM »

Just keep adding random names to the pile, you don't have to make your decision anytime soon or something....

Disastrous campaign.

I don't see how they could start the vetting process this late for a new possible running mate and have any confidence that it was thorough enough to find potential problems. If there is anything that could make Trump's campaign seem even more inept than it already is it would be having a named running mate withdraw like Eagleton in 1972.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 01:17:34 PM »

why would a general with any self-respect join the ticket with a candidate who has actually uttered the words "I love war"?

Or "I like people who weren't captured"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies