Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:42:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 180130 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 08, 2016, 10:41:01 PM »

Why on Earth would Hillary Clinton want Bernie Sanders as a running mate?

Also, putting Bernie Sanders a heartbeat away from the presidency would be seriously tempting fate.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 08:22:16 PM »

It's crazy that Corker, who was elected in 2006, is #40 in the "Senate Ranking by Seniority" list. Makes you realize how many Senators we have who are relatively new.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 12:06:47 PM »

Corker and Ernst are out, yeah. That cuts down the list considerably.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 01:05:15 PM »

Deirdre Walsh ✔ @deirdrewalshcnn
Corker tells @mkraju he's withdrawing from Trump's VP consideration & adds: "His best running mate, by the way, would be Ivanka"
12:52 PM - 6 Jul 2016

I tend to agree with Corker on this...either Ivanka or her husband Jared Kushner would be better for Trump than, say, Newt Gingrich would be.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 11:20:07 PM »

Really? I've always interpreted the 17th Amendment to mean that a legislature can either give a governor the option to appoint a temporary replacement or not. The notion that that appointment power could be given in a restricted manner is novel to me.

Tell that to Hawaii, which requires the governor pick a replacement from a list provided by the former Senator's party.  Or Arizona, Utah or Wyoming, which require an appointee be from the same party as the former Senator.

I've gotta be honest, I've never really bothered to look into any of that before. Still, I have to wonder whether or not that would hold up in court if a governor ever challenged it.

A decade ago, the sitting GOP Senator in Wyoming died and the Democratic governor was forced by that law to pick a GOP Senate replacement (IIRC it was the state party submitted three names and the governor had to pick one of the three).

These laws have been used before, they're not just hypothetical.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 02:13:22 PM »

A good dark horse VP choice would be former New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson. He's Hispanic, but more qualified than Castro, Perez, and Becerra. He has good foreign policy experience and he governed a state. Plus, the Clintons should put the 2008 endorsement of Obama behind them.

isn't he, like, corrupt as heck, though?

Yeah, there are some issues there.

Yeah, a little, but he's experienced. He could be ready to be president on Day One.

Clinton's not picking a washed-up has-been who has been out of public life for five years and is nearly as old as she is.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies