Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:26:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 178961 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« on: July 07, 2016, 03:27:11 PM »
« edited: July 07, 2016, 03:29:44 PM by cinyc »

Alaska Senator Dan Sullivan as Trump's VP?  Probably not, but People Magazine claims he may be in the running. The Alaska Dispatch News reports that he has not met Trump (before perhaps today at the Senate Republican meeting), so I doubt it.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 07:49:54 PM »

If that's true, it just goes to show that Hillary doesn't care about the democrats' chance of having a senate majority in the short term or the long term.  Both of these seats would be at risk of falling into Republican hands, either through governor appointment with Warren or through a low turnout contentious election in 2018 in Virginia.

There actually is a way around that for Warren, which is for Warren to declare her intentions to resign a certain day or later to force Brown to not appoint anyone but for there to be a special election on the general election day.

The legislature could also pass a law that requires the governor to appoint a Senator of the same party.

That seems like a highly dubious legal proposition.

Why?  It's perfectly legal to do so.  And the Democrats have a veto-proof majority in both houses of the Massachusetts Legislature.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 08:03:49 PM »

Really? I've always interpreted the 17th Amendment to mean that a legislature can either give a governor the option to appoint a temporary replacement or not. The notion that that appointment power could be given in a restricted manner is novel to me.

Tell that to Hawaii, which requires the governor pick a replacement from a list provided by the former Senator's party.  Or Arizona, Utah or Wyoming, which require an appointee be from the same party as the former Senator.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 12:55:16 PM »

Alaska Senator Dan Sullivan as Trump's VP?  Probably not, but People Magazine claims he may be in the running. The Alaska Dispatch News reports that he has not met Trump (before perhaps today at the Senate Republican meeting), so I doubt it.

That story doesn't really seem to be based on anything though.  There's no "According to sources close to the campaign..." type of statement.  It just talks about what Sullivan might bring to the ticket, and suggests maybe Trump will decide to pick him based on that.  To be clear, Sullivan says that he has not been contacted by the Trump campaign:

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Alaska-Sen-Dan-Sullivan-says-Trump-has-not-contacted-him-about-being-veep-385937921.html

The orginial story was in People Magazine, which isn't exactly a paradigm of hard-hitting investigative journalism.  It's more the type of publication that prints stories from celebrity publicists verbatim without much fact checking.  The only question I have is who would have even approached People to get a little-known Senator's name in the running?  Sullivan's staff denies talking with People.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 09:42:34 PM »

Maggie Haberban from the NYT again talks Trump VP on a podcast, this time CNN's The Axe Files. And again she says Gingrich is out and added that Newt confirmed to her that he was not being vetted. She said the names she continues to hear are Christie, Fallon, Sessions and Cotton.

On the Clinton side she said it doesnt look like Warren (for many reasons), and Tim Kaine is the favorite

I agree with her. Trump obviously does not want a "Cheney" (and Gingrich obviously sees himself in that role Smiley)- he is looking for a "Quayle". And while imho Kaine is a sure bet for Clinton, Fallin is the best pick of the "rest" for Trump.

Pence is actually a close second behind Gingrich on Betfair Exchange, FWIW.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 08:49:14 PM »

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
I will be making the announcement of my Vice Presidential pick on Friday at 11am in Manhattan. Details to follow.

What are the odds Trump lines up all four or five finalists on the stage and then announces his pick with all of them there?  Trump does know how to do one thing well - make a TV show of things.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 05:38:18 PM »

Clinton promises that there will be no leaks of her VP choice before she sends out the notification texts:

Freedom campaign! VP leaks betray supporters and take away the fundamental appeal of the announcement event. Leaking the VP pick makes one unqualified to work on a presidential campaign.

Let's see if the Clinton campaign is writing a check they can't cash before praising it.  There will be enormous pressure to leak the nominee during the week to step over the RNC.  And it's awfully hard to keep a secret these days.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 05:45:09 PM »

MSNBC anchor says she could announce it any minute now

Clinton has about 15 minutes to get her choice on the broadcast networks' evening news.  Friday evening announcements usually don't get much notice.  That's usually reserved for bad news.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 06:57:08 PM »

It's been possibly coming all day.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies