Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:54:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 178986 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« on: May 15, 2016, 03:22:48 PM »

As a Democratic voter, PLEASE pick Sarah Palin, Donald! It'll be so nice to vote against her twice and see her lose again in a landslide

TRUMP is too smart.
He won't pick her. I hope he picks either Kasich or Christie while Hillary picks Warren. Kasich or Christie would destroy her in the debate.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 09:23:39 PM »

Trump
Miller's VP list is currently as real as Joe McCarthy's list of Communist infiltrators.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 09:54:53 PM »

Trump is demanding that his VP hopefuls hand over their tax records...Which is weird since he claims you can't learn anything from them....

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/732966088481374208
[/quote

Good God, the irony.

TrumpMiller is neither intelligent enough, nor self-aware enough to get the irony.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 07:51:05 PM »

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would think Gingrich will  get the VP call from Trump.

Two old white men who have deep  issues with women.

Aint happnin.

Gingrich is exactly the sort of figure that a not-too-bright adolescent Trump would consider would add "gravitas" and "experience" to his ticket. Because Trump appears to have less self-awareness than a not particularly bright sponge, the old white male misogyny issues are irrelevant, maybe even a plus because they'll appeal to Trump's own biases. As long as he's willing to play yes-man to the big golden-orange cheese, Gingrich will be fine in Trump's mind.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 12:40:27 PM »

Maybe she could find a current or former investment bank President who wouldn't mind slumming for a bit? (If it worked for Treasury, why not for VP?)
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 01:53:34 PM »

In this video, WaPo’s Robert Costa says “Talking to Trump advisors, I think Corker’s certainly on the list for the VP slot”:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/videos/2016-05-23/sen-bob-corker-meets-with-donald-trump-amid-vp-speculation

He also says that the Trump people say they want someone who can be “seen as a heavyweight”, like a Dick Cheney type, which is why Bob Corker, who is of course the Senate Foreign Relations Committee chair, would be a contender.

In other news, Ben Carson has already flip-flopped on this a couple of times, but he says that he doesn’t want to be on the ticket:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/280952-carson-i-would-not-want-to-be-on-the-ticket-or-in-the

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Carson needs to be the next Chairman of the RNC.  Its the Perfect role for him.

As someone on the far political left, I absolutely agree. From my perspective I don't think a more perfect candidate for the job exists.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »

Trump should really pick a woman an a minority one at that:

1. Susana Martinez - likely not interested

Yeah....that one isn't going to happen...The presumptive nominee is out on the trail ripping her...

https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/735290795884826624

Donnie is just savaging her....

https://twitter.com/AdamATCBS/status/735291218234605568

I bet nobody told him she's a Republican.

Or he forgot. I'm starting to wonder if what we've all been attributing to Trump's pathological lying is actually Alzheimer's.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 03:05:41 PM »

This is a pretty remarkable quote from that story:

Really?  Every single potential running mate on your list has "major problems"?  I'm not saying that's wrong, but it's not usually something that you'd expect someone in the campaign to publicly admit. Tongue

Logically, it has to be true though. Consider, every potential Trump VP will either refuse to be on a ticket with Trump, or is willing to be on a ticket with Trump. If they refuse, that's a pretty major problem right their. And if they are willing to be on a ticket with Trump, it proves that they're either lizard-people or have had their brains replaced with tapioca, either of which is also a major problem.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 02:36:08 PM »

Trump would have a field day with Franken's appearance. I mean... "Franken-stein" is right there.

I have little doubt that Franken can take whatever TrumpMiller dishes out, and toss it right back, with poison and barbs. He won't hesitate to point out that Trump is a human Cheeto.

Trump does not want people laughing at him. It's too close to the truth, and will get under his delicate skin. Get Trump off balance as the butt of viral jokes, and any Democratic nominee will be able to laugh their way into the White House.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 08:36:32 AM »

Gingrich’s rhetoric re: Trump seems to have taken a turn of late.  The initial Gingrich VP buzz coincided with Gingrich becoming a big cheerleader for Trump in the media.  But more recently, he’s been rather critical…first criticizing Trump over the Susanna Martinez flap, and now over this Hispanic judge thing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/pushing-racial-boundaries-trump-draws-rebuke-from-a-fretful-gop/2016/06/04/fbd298c8-2a6d-11e6-b989-4e5479715b54_story.html

Well hes not the only one.    Trump is flying off the handle over nonsense lately he should shut up about the Judge in the Trump U case because afterall nobody told him to attempt to make a quick buck and screw over folks.... not that they didn't deserve it for being foolish.

No, Trump has always flown off the handle over nonsense. It's his pattern long before he even started running for the Republican nomination. It's just that he has not been getting quite as much of a free pass on it - the public and media are starting to notice that he's a raving nutjob.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 11:19:36 PM »

Why should Trump ask potential running mates for tax returns?  I mean I realize he's a lying hypocrite but he's usually not that obvious.

Yes, he really is that obvious.

Look at his recent idiocy towards Judge Curiel. His comments are completely irrational. They have no connection whatsoever to reality, or to his own previous statements!

Trump[/s]Miller's entire schtick revolves around everyone going, "Oh, no one in his position could possibly be that racist/stupid/ignorant/criminal/evil" and then coming up with explanations to avoid painful levels of cognitive dissonance.

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »

I will not be voting for Clinton in November, however I think Perez, Warren, Brown, Becerra, and Garcetti would all be good choices for her to select. Ultimately, I am betting on a Clinton/Perez ticket. Trump's shortlist apparently has been reduced to Christie, Sessions, Fallin, and Gingrich, although I think Santorum has a good shot at being selected. He is younger than Trump (58), from a swing state (Pennsylvania), has 12 years of experience in the Senate (1995-2007), has national exposure and a proven campaign record (from 2012, when he showed he was able to excite the base and come a close second to Romney), and he was the only Republican to speak against free trade deals and emphasize domestic manufacturing in 2012. Aditionally, Santorum has treated Trump quite well throughout the primary. I think Trump/Santorum is a realistic scenario.

Trump needs aomeone who can be counted on to lick his boots AND make Trump look good. by comparison. That's. pretty much Christie and maybe Gingrich.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 02:19:24 PM »

Maybe she can remind the demented old psychopath what the actual name of the EPA is.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 07:55:16 AM »

So Corker recommended Ivanka Trump as VP today.

And something completely anecdotal - a guy on another forum I frequent used to work on the Cruz campaign, and one of the people he got to know there now does polling for Trump. This Trump guy is apparently saying that they're going to be polling a Donald/Ivanka ticket tomorrow.

If it is Ivanka, I'll point out that I predicted her back in February:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=230286.msg4933189#msg4933189
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 07:29:14 AM »

Here's my guess about Pence:

1) Someone conducted an internal poll for the gubernatorial campaign that showed troubling results. No major prognosticator has placed the race in "Toss-Up" status because there isn't much public polling (and the polling that exists suggests a Pence lead) and because nobody knows if voters will care about/even remember RFRA at the voting booth more than a year after the fact. But maybe private polls are showing a dire or potentially dire situation that the public sphere isn't aware of.

2) Someone (probably Holcomb) made someone in the Pence re-election campaign aware that they could shut down Gregg better. Completely quiet and off the record of course, but the message was delivered.

3) In comes Trump. Perhaps he isn't on a last resort "please say yes" visit/call, perhaps Gingrich, Corker, or Christie would say yes if asked, but he wants better ticket chemistry or current knowledge of Washington than he feels they offer. (Pence was in the house from 2001-2013) Or perhaps they've all said no, or they all have major skeletons we don't know about. Or some combination of all this. Take your pick. In any case, Trump tries to persuade Pence to consider VP. Pence probably says no a bunch of times, but Trump is persistent, and probably someone high up in the Pence campaign is sympathetic to the idea.

4) Essentially where we are now. Pence probably still hasn't made any final, irrevocable obligation. But Holcomb (or whoever the replacement is), his campaign, Trump, and possibly troubling polling numbers have put him in a place where he is likelier than not to agree to be Trump's VP.

Good analysis, but I suspect you're putting more thought into this than Trump is.

I think the final decision is going to come down to "Trump's gut", which will be heavily influenced by which of his advisers has his ear at at the moment, and which candidate seems like the most appealing sycophant to Trump.

Sure, if Manafort wins we're likely to see someone like Pence, if not Pence himself. But I think it's at least equally likely that Trump goes with a more Trumplike pick: Gingrich and Palin are probably the politicians with any national recognition that are Trumpish, but Ivanka, or someone even more out of the ballpark - Kayne West or some other celebrity - are quite possible.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 03:48:20 PM »

I'm surprised we don't hear more( or any really) buzz around Huckabee. Well known, ran for president twice without having a scandal derail his campaign, and has full heartedly backed Trump in recent days. Plus he at least used to be rather likable with his aw shucks persona. One could do worse. 

I'd guess that even Trump draws the line at openly supporting the return of slavery.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 02:08:32 PM »

Trump says he'll decide in the next 3 or 4 days, which suggests there will be no Pence announcement tomorrow. He's down to 5 people including Flynn, but is leaning towards someone political and not military.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/07/11/donald-trump-will-make-his-mind-up-on-vp-pick-in-next-three-to-four-days/?postshare=351468249661034&tid=ss_tw

So not until after the convention? That's certainly a change. (Based off Trump's problem with meeting his own deadlines.)
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 06:35:40 PM »

Trump says he'll decide in the next 3 or 4 days, which suggests there will be no Pence announcement tomorrow. He's down to 5 people including Flynn, but is leaning towards someone political and not military.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/07/11/donald-trump-will-make-his-mind-up-on-vp-pick-in-next-three-to-four-days/?postshare=351468249661034&tid=ss_tw

So not until after the convention? That's certainly a change. (Based off Trump's problem with meeting his own deadlines.)

The convention is more than a week away Wink
And we still don't know who the speakers will be.

So to translate from  trumpspeak to English, he'll probably announce a VP by then end of August.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 06:24:53 PM »

Reading the tea leaves it seems to me that there is no consensus in Team Trump on who to pick. Last week various insiders on WADR were talking about how Trump has always wanted Kasich for obvious reasons. I can see why he would also want Rice.  I think he is finding it hard to have to go to what he considers the silver or bronze package when he wants the gold or platinum package.

And will doubtless settle for his trademark "cheap gold paint over crap".
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
I will be making the announcement of my Vice Presidential pick on Friday at 11am in Manhattan. Details to follow.

What are the odds Trump lines up all four or five finalists on the stage and then announces his pick with all of them there?  Trump does know how to do one thing well - make a TV show of things.

He can put little collars with bows on them, and have them do tricks!
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 12:07:42 PM »

Unless Trump is playing some sort of 3 dimensional chess and Pence is just a smokescreen for a more out of the box pick.
Or he is playing PredictIt and is going to buy a ton of Pence No shares through shells.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 06:48:32 PM »

He needs a while for his good brain to come up with an explanation how a couple of concealed firearms in the crowd would have saved everyone from an onrushing truck.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 11:01:16 PM »

Trump told donors in Bel-Air on Thursday evening he would announce his choice over the weekend.

So, its not Pence then.....
Pence could still drop out tomorrow and be officially chosen this weekend, from what I have heard he has both been offed and accepted to be Trumps running mate.

The GOP will doubtless try to blame it on Hillary. They'll probably even claim she pulled the trigger.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2016, 04:09:13 PM »

Kaine may be too far right. Choosing him would big a giant sign that Clinton intends to govern as even more of a "liberal Republican" candidate than Obama.

I haven't had the time to go and crunch numbers, but with a Kaine pick, Clinton would be betting that the number of "moderate"  votes she gets will outweigh the loss of actual leftists who vote Green, Lib, or just stay home. (The "moderate" votes will count for more if she's actually taking them away from Trump, instead of grabbing folks who would otherwise stay home,  of course.)

This election is really, really turing into a race to see which pile of elephant turds is the stinkiest. Guess I need to look for more jobs in Canada.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 01:06:43 PM »

Just looking at history and basic facts, this should be a no-brainer for Kaine.  The key to understanding this decision, IMHO, is the trust and chemistry between running mates. 

Fact 1: When Bill Clinton picked a running mate, he chose someone whom he felt comfortable with (Gore), in spite of not getting any geographic or demographic boost.
Fact 2: Hillary was there and closely involved in that decision.
Fact 3: The strategy worked well for Bill.
Fact 4: According to numerous sources, Hillary is very comfortable with Kaine, knows him well and trusts him a lot (unlike some of the other candidates).
Fact 5: Kaine will provide competency on #2 without overshadowing the candidate (as someone like Warren could).
Fact 6: With a Trump-Pence GOP slate, there is no reason for any "reckless" or "Hail Mary" picks on the Democratic side, nor is there really any reason to pick a "progressive".

Therefore my prediction is Clinton-Kaine 2016!

All very true. But you're missing the "first, do no harm" part of any VP pick.

Now, I am very far left, but to me picking Kaine signals that Clinton plans to run (and govern) as Republican lite. Even moreso than Obama.

That is pretty unacceptable to me and raises my chances of staying home or "throwing away my vote" astronomically, even if it may mean Trump winning. If significant numbers of likely voters share me views on this Kaine becomes a risky pick.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies